1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

allenfab's 95 Tacoma build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by allenfab, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    I'm covering my eyes to hide the horror of you about to flip :rofl:

2. Aug 14, 2017 at 2:01 AM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Soooo...did you like the LTBs? Damage report? Pop any more axle shafts/U-joints? :cool:

3. Aug 14, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    just a big ole dent on his radiator skid

Taco No Baka[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    allenfab

allenfab [OP] I hate everything

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Pretty much what frank said :D. Mangled the radiator skid and upon further inspection, dented the radiator which kind of knocked the whole thing out-of-whack. But, it isnt leaking so all is well.... For now.

Just a quick inspection shows zero breakage elsewhere. The new rock rings did their job with preventing bent lips and ripped out valve stems. Got a few more dents in the sliders and rear axle as well. And the best thing is no axle joint/shaft failures. I will no longer spend less than $50 on a u-joint, cause they are definitely better than the parts store junk.

IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1405.jpg IMG_1402.jpg

5. Aug 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Dayum...time to go to .250 or .375...or maybe even .250 with another piece of .250 welded to the face of it. :D

Haha, you've certainly gotten a bit more wild now that you have a trailer. :rofl:

It's awesome that the axles and U-joints held up. I was a little worried that the LTBs would reveal some residual weakness there, even with the high end U-joints and chromo axle shafts.

And you never did say; how do you like the LTBs? Have you noticed any improvement over the MTs?

6. Aug 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Shit, that skid was already .25", but I have something up my sleeve for a fix, but I am not sure I am going to do it unless or until this radiator starts leaking.

And yes, I was really beating on it this time, the trailer is the best investment I have made in regards to me having more fun lol.

As for the tires, so far I like them, I think. It is however hard to compare them to how the MTZ's performed at Hardrock earlier this year, only because it was so wet there this time and EVERYTHING was changed. It was so slick there this weekend that only sticky compound tires would have grabbed anything. Also, I could have aired down a little more. My ARB gauge said I was running 9 psi, but when I filled my tires back up today, my other gauge said i was around 12 so idk which number I was at. I may lookin into grooving them for a little bit more tire flex and grabbing power.

7. Aug 14, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ya know, I have the old radiator out of the T4R sitting in the shed. It should fit and there wasn't anything wrong with it. It's just that replacing it was cheap insurance against the Strawberry Milkshake automatic transmission issue. However, since you're running a manual, it wouldn't be an issue. I was keeping it in case the OGT's radiator sprung a leak again, but it's yours if you want/need it. It wouldn't be a big deal to bring it to ya when I come to pick up the skids.

8. Aug 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    xweslingx

xweslingx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    09DCSB locked and armored
    Just gussets... everywhere
    Why not just run the 4 cyl. Radiator since it's shorter and has no cooling issues.

9. Aug 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Thanks for the offer, but I am going to go with the 4 cyl radiator which is around 5" shorter than what comes stock in our trucks. See wes's comment below haha

This is the plan, and I should have done it to begin with when I burned up the last radiator when I was welding in the steering box brace. I think there is like a 5" gain over the stock 3.4 radiator.

Timbo's Customs likes this.
  10. Aug 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    xweslingx

xweslingx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    09DCSB locked and armored
    Just gussets... everywhere
    Yea it's def a considerable change. Saw a guy running one up here

allenfab[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Aug 14, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    That little 4 cyl radiator is the shit! Keeps my 3.4 cool even with the AC cranked on high crawling in 95* heat and all kinds of stuff blocking air flow.

Ritchie and allenfab[OP] like this.
  12. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:12 AM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    That's good to know. I'll probably be ordering one in the next few weeks.

13. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Rock Auto had denso units for less than 100 bucks, that's where I got mine.

allenfab[OP] and Taco No Baka like this.
  14. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:28 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    That's what I put in the T4R as well, only a 6 cyl model.

Rgr that. :thumbsup:

15. Aug 15, 2017 at 6:21 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    Slander,
    Are you running a 4x2 or 4x4 4cyl radiator?

16. Aug 15, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    almost flipped a few times lol, footage soon to come :D

17. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    4x2 4cyl. I selected the smallest one they had.

malburg114 likes this.
  18. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Happen to have the part numbers for the hoses? I believe the upper is the same but the stock is different right?

19. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    You'll have to forgive me if I say, I'll believe it when I see it. :rofl:

You still have a serious back log of video to get up...like the video from Red Rock last year, the annual meet (probably 2 years running) and who knows what else. o_O

20. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Upper is the same, lower is different that still needs to be modded to fit right.
    There's a pic of it in my build thread somewhere, let me see....

Products Discussed in

To Top