1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AllPro Expedition Leaf Spring install...

Discussion in 'All-Pro Off Road' started by MonkeyProof, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    Jmad1997

Jmad1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD sport long bed 6" fab tech lift
    Im running a ATC shell fab fours rear bumper and swingout. They may settle some... in may case it was only a 1/4inch or so at most but that could be after I added the swing out and tire back there. And you may be 1-1-1/2 high in the rear but if your gonna be towing it will level out and you won't be squatting

2. Jan 29, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    Dirty G

Dirty G Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    DC TRD Off Road
    TOYTEC coils, Rear TSB
    What bushing did you use? I just got a used set that are in great shape but the bushing was damaged when removed. I have used energy suspension in other areas of my truck, do you know if they will fit and what size?

3. Jan 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof [OP] Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I got the bushings from AllPro, no idea what size would be needed if using Energy Suspension bushings.

4. Jun 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    SizzlinBacon

SizzlinBacon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I've been reading this thread for a while now and just installed the All-Pro Expo Springs on my 2000 Tacoma 4WD. It took about 6 months to get the springs since they were on backorder. When they got shipped to me, I realized that they had sent me the standard leaf pack instead of the expo springs, so make sure you check your part number when you get them. I called All-Pro and they fixed it right away. Along with the springs, I also bought the U-bolt Flip Kit, an extended brake line, 10" bilstein 5125 shocks, all pro short shock mounts, and Wheelers super bumps. After the install, the truck has about 2" of rake (up front I have about 2.5" of lift). It looks a little goofy with that much lift and my small 31" tires, but I'm hoping it settles out a bit. Next step is 33" tires.

Up front my truck has Bilstein 5100's clipped to about 2.5 inches of lift and i'm rolling on 31 x 10.5 x 15 BFG AT's. On the back I have a 175 lb camper shell and a wooden bed platform that probably weighs around 75 lbs. Before the expo springs and without the shell and bed in the back, the truck would sit almost perfectly level. With the weight of the shell and bed though, the back end would sag. I go down to Mexico a lot and usually have a 250 lb motorcycle mounted on the hitch which pretty much made me ride on the bump stops. I tried to fix this at first buy adding firestone ride-rite air bags. Big mistake, they made the ride super shitty, especially on washboard roads. Also, I noticed that they even started to bend the C-Channel on my frame rail a little bit. So, I took off the airbags and ordered expos.

Here are the measurements from the hub center straight up to the bottom of the fender with the expo springs.

Front Driver: 22.5"
    Rear Driver: 24.5"
    Front Passenger: 22.5"
    Rear Passenger: 24.5"
    * the truck has an even 2" of rake

Install Notes:
    I began my install by spraying WD-40 on all the bolts to loosen them up. My truck has 200K miles on it so I was pretty happy that they all came off easily. The only bolt that I had a hard time with was the main eye bolt on the drivers side. In order to get a socket in there, I had to completely drop the gas tank. It was kinda a pain in the ass but not too bad. All the bolts slid out easily from the old leaf pack so I decided to reuse them. I greased up the bolts and the new expo leaf pack installed easily. The axle was then positioned and fastened in place with the new U-Bolt flip kit. The U-bolt kit that I got from All-Pro had one U bolt that was gold and significantly longer than the others (1"). It was almost too long and I almost ran out of threads but it worked. I might talk to All-Pro and try and figure that out. I had a little bit of difficulty finding the appropriate Torque for the bolts. From forums, I saw that the U-Bolts should be torqued to 89 ft-lbs. I torqued mine to 70 ft-lbs because at that torque, I could see the washers and top plate beginning to have a slight bend. (maybe my torque wrench is bad) The bolts for the main eye and shackle I torqued to 85 ft lbs. Im still waiting for the brake line, shock mounts, and new shocks to show up.

IMG_9477.jpg

Truck with stock springs in the back.

IMG_9530.jpg

Truck with All-pro Expo Leafs in the back. (sorry about the crappy lighting)

5. Sep 25, 2017 at 8:48 PM
    nrspence

nrspence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    So did you get any rear driveline vibration when you installed the new rear springs on your 1st gen.

6. Oct 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    Dan8906

Dan8906 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Concord, California
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext cab TRD 4x4
    CBI sliders, ADS extend travel with compression adjuster coil overs, 9” Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Icon Tubular UCA, Alcan custom leafs, All Pro Apex bumper and skids, NWTI rear diy bumper, 295/70/17 Cooper St Maxxs and nitro 4.88s.
    How are you liking the ride? Im thinking about swapping out my standard leafs for the expos.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  7. Oct 3, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    madsand

madsand wanderer

Member:
    First Name:
    sandz
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBLCB LB sports 4x4 SC
    Icon 2.5" Remote Reservoir Extended Travel CDCV Icon tubular UCA Icon add a leaf Method NV wheels Nitto trail grappler MT 285/70/17 Weather Tech floor mat All Pro rock slider
    I'm running icon 2.0 with res and add a leaf at the moment. Allpro has leaf spring sale recently and order expedition leaf pack.

So my question is am I able to use the shocks I have right now or I have to buy extended one?

8. Oct 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    nrspence

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    Just installed the expo leafs on my 02 Tacoma. With only about 100lbs of truck box weight in the bed the ride is stiff, but I like it. It feels way better then the wore out stock springs. These springs take wash bored out dirt roads like a champ. I had to use the cutting wheel on my old U bolts and one of the spring eye bolts. I left the old stock shackles on for now. Does anyone know if I can use the OME greasable bushings and shackles with these springs?

9. Oct 23, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    SizzlinBacon

SizzlinBacon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I didn't get any vibration at all. I think people get that vibration because they don't drop their carrier bearing. I dropped mine about an inch with some galvanized washers and it works great.

10. Oct 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    SizzlinBacon

SizzlinBacon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    The ride is awesome. I've been taking it on some pretty rowdy trails and it feels way better than stock. It handles fast washboard roads really nicely too. The lift also settled down a bit over the past three months (and i put on 33's so it looks a lot more proportional)

11. Oct 24, 2017 at 4:50 AM
    nrspence

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    Yeah no vibration for me either. They are high they only sit level when I have my ATV in the back. 067C27A3-F370-44BD-9191-89060B9539BA.jpg

12. Nov 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    I have an old set of expos on my second gen that I feel are sagging real bad. I got them second hand so they have been used a lot. I may be in the market for some new leafs. I carry constant weight and definitely will go with the expos, or something of similar capacity. is there an AAL for the expos available in case I need more stout pack?

Waited many moons likes this.
  13. Nov 16, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof [OP] Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    there is a new version of the Expo Springs available with even more weight capacity called Expo 2.0 but looks like they are out of stock on the 2.0 version at this time

JimboAnz[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 17, 2017 at 3:32 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Sweet, good info, I will inquire. Thanks !

15. Nov 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    yota_aidan

yota_aidan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aidan
    Vehicle:
    2000 White Tacoma SR5 4x4
    RevTek lift - 33x12.50's - canopy
    I just ordered a set of expos today, what shocks are you guys running in the rear with these? I have some KYB Gas-Adjust from the previous owner right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top