1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ALLPRO Expo Leaf pack/ U-Bolt Flip Kit/ Firestone Air Ride air bags!?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by skygear, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    Right now I have the Firestone Air Ride Kit. Later this week I hope to also have the AllPro Expo Leaf Packs and was considering getting the U-Bolt Flip Kit in addition.

My questions are this-

1. What additionally will I need for the Air Bags to continue to work as designed now that there is an additional 3"-4" of lift?
    - New longer/ larger bags?
    - Spacers?

2. The flip kit, worth it?
    - if I do get it, can I cut the bolts and remount the Firestone plate overtop?
    - additional thoughts on these?

These are great options, really they are. My issues are that I was hoping for Bolt on solutions. I don't have access to a welder and am not proficient with one right now. Also, if theres any issues, or I want to sell/ remove anything bolt on is optimal.

2. Feb 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    If I end up with 3" of extra lift, I think a different set of bags will be what I need. I might have to call Firestone on Monday just to verify.

3. Feb 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    JayDirt

JayDirt I owe it all to little chocolate donuts

Member:
    With the expo leaf pack, do you think airbags air even necessary? Expo's are meant for carrying heavier weight.

4. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    I was more looking for the Towing aspect. Once the truck is loaded, and I'm towing a horse trailer, I still wanted to be level.

Really, I have little experience with suspension. SO I might be overdoing it. Then again, I don't have the bump stops anymore either. Instead of reading the forum on the install ahead of time. I did the install per the instructions. Cutting the stops, instead of removing the whole thing like others were doing.

5. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    You won't be able to run the flip kit with the air bags. The brackets for the u-bolt won't fit the air bags.

Honestly, the flip kit isn't a must-have. If you are dragging the bottom of your u-bolts on a rock, your bottom shock mounts are probably being hit as well which is a much bigger problem.

But I think you are right on longer bags. I have read that they're fine for street use but when you're off-road and the axle droops all the way on one side they can stretch the bags too much or the bags end up restricting the axle movement down.

6. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    JayDirt

Member:
    I see...I would install the Expos and see what it looks like fully loaded with the trailer. In the meantime contact Firestone to discuss your unique situation. I'm sure they will be able to help as they did for me when I owned a FX4.

On another note, have you purchased the Expos yet? You might be able to customize them with another leaf...just a thought.

7. Feb 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    I guess I will call and see Monday for sure. But I'm almost positive now that with a 3"lift, the bags will be too short.

I it was just a thought to get the flip kit. But I see your point.

From what I'm reading, the expos are basically the DAKARS with AAL. If you look on AP site, the have 2 versions of leafs for the tacoma's. Standard and Expo. Expos at rest unloaded are 4" :jawdrop: 3" Loaded.

I'm waiting on the AP people to contact me back to make a deal. Unless anyone has a Discount code or know of anyone that is selling them or heavily discounted.

8. Feb 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    JayDirt

Member:
  9. Feb 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
  10. Feb 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    File not found.

11. Feb 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    That's what I got at first when I clicked his link. Then I found it manually, and his link works for me since. Probably something strange with the way the forum or the browser handles the link...

Anyways, here's a link to the same thing at a different vendor. Basically spacers for your airbags. Hope the link works!

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/69A4079A0A0.aspx

12. Feb 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    AH! Thanks, yeah, that worked.

13. Aug 11, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    Chauncey Bronson

Chauncey Bronson Un-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chauncey
    Arlington, TN
    Vehicle:
    07' SR5 TRD 4x4 Taco 6" lift 35" tires
    Did this end up working with the flip kit? Do you have pics after the install? This one is a weird one for me to get my head around, and I don't want to burn through a bunch of U Bolt sets, any help is appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top