1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Allpro New Rear Plate style bumper bad structural Integrity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05sctaco, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    :popcorn:

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Pg. 4:cool:

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    Thanks for the kind words. We do pride ourselves on being arguably the most involved Toyota company in the sport. All-Pro's owner, Jon Bundrant, is a former world champion rock crawler. He works with a motorsports engineer in the design of our products. The OP definately exposed the weakest area of our bumper, but we are a dynamic company that continually strives to provide the best products out there, so we will address this issue, learning from it and making the appropriate changes.

Thanks for the feedback, we will also look at that as well. We encourage feedback such as this because if we don't know about a problem, then how can we fix it?!

We trail test our products on trails harder than most will ever attempt, but it is hard to re-create every scenario, which is one of the reasons we consult with an engineer, who apparently didn't forsee this situation either!

On my truck I have our high clearance receiver hitch, which essentially acts like a brace for the center section, but without it that area is vulnerable. However, coming down on a rock in that exact area is unlikely since the rear diff would get hung up first. I'm not saying it is impossible, but I think it would be a rare occurence.

Again, the only reason we have a cut-out behind the license plate is for the optional receiver hitch to come through, but it is agreed that this is the main cause of the "weak" spot, and we are looking at ways to overcome this.

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Will the bumpers you have coming in at the end of this month address this "possible" issue? Does the receiver hitch attach to the bumper or is the aftermarket one independent? Also anyone have pics of where the side armor attaches? i am wanting to see how it attaches to the frame besides where it bolts to the bumper. I saw a allpro bumper in the desert a few week back and must say they look great and it sounds like they stand behind the products.

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz

I appreciate all the effort you and All-Pro are doing. I understand for what happened that I am also at fault, and I have no intention for finger pointing or playing the blame game. As mentioned before I know these bumpers are contracted out to a manufacturer. What I was surprised the most was that the center area, though yes is the weakest point. The manufacturer did not fully weld around the seams on the extra metal that was added to strengthen the center, thus increasing the probability of damage to the bumper.

I want to thank you and All-Pro for helping me out on this situation and making the necessary changes to strengthen your product. I want to apologize if I generated any negative animosity toward your company. That was not my intention, nor the purpose of my post. It was to tell my story and inform people who have previously purchased the bumper to fix those area's.

Ken

6. Apr 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I want to thank you and All-Pro for helping me out on this situation and making the necessary changes to strengthen your product. I want to apologize if I generated any negative animosity toward your company. That was not my intention, nor the purpose of my post. It was to tell my story and inform people who have previously purchased the bumper to fix those area's.

The fact the stood up in this thread and fully explained their position and are agreeing to work to address it, means only positive opinions for them moving forward.

7. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    i got er done at www.drivelinesinc.com

same place where J41 and Denny got theirs done. great work and service..took about 2 hours. this same dude does drivelines for all of the top Trophy Truck teams

8. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Perfect. Thanks!

9. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    fwiw, i will still be getting AP front and rear bumpers some day :)
    good on all-pro for working with the OP

10. Apr 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    They did a drive shaft from my bronco a few years back, what did it run you?
    Wow I am way off topic here... Sorry.

11. May 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    ARB will be coming out with new rear Tacoma Bumper SOON! I contacted them and asked if they would be making a rear bumper for 05+. Here is the email response I recently received from Jim Jackson ARB President. :
    HI Rich,
    We should have the prototype for the current model Tacoma here next week. Our bar engineer will be over from Australia in May to do any final engineering necessary. We will be in production soon after that.

Jim Jackson
    President
    ARB-USA
    720 SW 34TH STREET
    RENTON, WA 98057-4814
    Tel: 425-264-1391
    Fax: 425-264-1392

12. May 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    To the OP: I'm just curious, why did you continue to jack up on the bumper once you noticed it starting to bend even a little bit? It seems to me that it would take a lot of spins of the jack handle to go from zero to the V that you created out of that bumper. Or did it happen suddenly once it was already way up in the air?

13. May 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    I didn't know it was bending so severely until i was under the truck to remove sand from behind the wheels. Also it was 11:30pm in the middle of the night and i was stuck out in the sand dunes with a small hand flashlight. I only lifted the bed high enough roughly 5 inches enough for me and my gf to get under to make a trail for the rear tranny. No i did not lift the truck high enough to get off the ground, i have a lot of droop in my rear that it should have been safe.

14. May 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I think the phrase "droop in my rear" is funny.

15. May 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
  16. May 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    Oh. . . That makes a little more sense now. Bummer about the bumper. Recovery work in the dark always has its surprises in the morning, lol. I have found this out a time or two myself. You may have even already explained this, but I jumped into this thread a little late. Hope it all works out.

Products Discussed in

To Top