1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almighty Throwout Bering!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SgtImaPepper, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    SgtImaPepper

SgtImaPepper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TMI
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    Base model, silver streak mica
    Pioneer 3200DVD.
    Alright, so my throwout bering is whistling some when my clutch is depressed and Dusty (my 09 Taco) is sitting in neutral. The dealership claims that if there is a clutch problem it is not covered under the normal warranty. I did not purchase any extra warranty because 1) I truely believe most of them are just another way for dealerships to make money, and 2) I had faith my taco would not have any issues. So with that said, I am planning on getting it fixed out of my own pocket. Does anybody have any pointers on how I should go about this? Like, at this point I am not entirely impressed with my local dealership at all for an array of reasons. Do I have to have them replace it? How can I order the correct part and do I have to order it from the local dealership? How difficult would it be to do it myself in a garage and what all things would I need to ensure the garage is equipped with? I know I am talking about pulling the transmission obviously and that in itself can be a pain in the @*%, but I have a sinking sensation that the local dealership will rape me of money.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad Poser ψ(`∇´)ψ
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    it's spelled bearing:eek:

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Check out the URD bearing replacement kit (like 280 bucks) or the APR transmission swap (a bit more...).

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    go to another dealer

5. Jan 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Id try another dealer, if it's under warranty they will have to do it. As for doing it yourself, you need to drop the tranny so it's not that simple.

6. Jan 25, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    its should contain an apostrophe, thus making it the contraction of it is, not the possessive pronoun form you used.

its != it's

7. Jan 25, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    KEG'sTACO

KEG'sTACO FJ Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    '08 FJ Cruiser
    Leveled, 33" BFG A/Ts, Demello Offroad front flat-top bumper, Demello Offroad rear 3-piece bumper, 17" Liquid Metal Gatlins, Pioneer audio upgrade, custom mounted 10" subwoofer, offroad interior
    I can't help you on this, but I am going to subscribe to this thread due to my Dad's 2007 FJ Cruiser's throwout bearing chirping as well.

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    90 Mustang Notch, 06 CTS-V
    Go to a different dealer...there's a TSB out to fix this. I had the same BS from a dealer here in atlanta, and then I went to the closest dealer to my place and they acknowledged it without batting an eye.

9. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    lol a bunch of smartasses in here!

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
  11. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has been squeaking for 40k+ miles now. Spend your money on something else. If you do get a dealer to cover and replace it, they are just going to replace it with the same defective part again and the problem will just come back.

My old accord had a squeaky throwout bearing and I drove it over 100k miles with the squeak and never had any problems.

I have yet to see anyone post where the bearing actually failed and left someone stranded. Only people annoyed with the squeak and wasting time in the repair shop for a non critical issue.

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    fatsac

fatsac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Millbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC Offroad
    Katz Leather, heated seats, Tint, KN Filter, OME 887, Camburg UCA, Dakar packs, 17x9 XD, 295/70 Toyo MT w cab mount chop, fender massage, Weathertechs, Black PC steps, skidplate, 2012 grill, Bushwacker painted flares, Nearly every TSB you can think of, TRD quickshift, All-Pro front w/ Skids, 9k winch, Tonneau cover, voodoo tailgate cap...
    I had the TSB for this done 400 miles ago. All is quiet for now. The last fix lasted 8k, which was a replacement of the same shitty parts. Supposedly, this is a fix that will last. The best part is it's covered until 60k. If squeeks again, I'll go with the JDM kit.

13. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    :laugh: yep!!

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    Fixed!! I <3 Tacomas :D

15. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    SgtImaPepper

Member:
    First Name:
    TMI
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer 3200DVD.
    Well it's a good damn thing we got an English Major in here! Say I am having a little bit of trouble with in-text citations, can you please assist? :cool:

16. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    SgtImaPepper

Member:
    First Name:
    TMI
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer 3200DVD.
    So I took it to the same dealer and got a different dude. One that appeared to actually give a shit about customer service. They are taking Dusty in on Monday and they are going to replace the clutch for free. But like one of you said, yeah they probabley will replace it with the same clutch and the problem will come back. lol.

But they tried to get $200 extra out of me to basically just replace the spark plugs and I saw no point since I just replaced them a little over a year ago. I learned that the fuel filter is internal and connected to the fuel pump...which in short basically tells me that whenever the fuel pump finally decides to go, i have to spend more money to replace the whole thing. LOL.

Some stuff never ceases to amaze me. :jerkoff:

17. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Sounds good that your getting it fixed. But on the Spark plugs they should be replaced at every 30,000 miles. This is pretty critical from what I have seen for these trucks. And Ive changed both of our tacomas at 30,000 and they have had quite a bit of wear showing.
    I have the V6 manual and 68,000 and so far no squeak other than in the clutch pedal sometimes. But no worries about it. Good luck with getting it fixed

To Top