1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost 90k miles, timing belt/chain?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gunnyz39, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    gunnyz39

gunnyz39 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Elusive Elements Grille & Behind Grille Lightbar, Tacoma-World sticker + 10 hp
    Looking to buy an 03 with almost 90k miles, unsure if it has had the timing belt or chain replaced.. How much does it cost$$? Is it doable on my own? What am I in for?

2. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    If it's a V6 then a belt, water pump is the normal thing to do, I did mine at 60 and again at 110,000 because the pump I bought went bad, the belt was $45 and the pump was $113. at CarQuest. While you are in there look at the thermostat and have some ne coolant onhand, the reason to do the pump is because you have to take the belt off to do the pump so most people just do both to cut down on the money spent on labor to do it twice(when the water pump goes out after the belt has been done once) lost of info here just search for Jansters post on how to do it...good luck

3. Apr 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    If you have a shop do it, you're looking at around $600-$800 to do the water pump and timing belt. In most cases, the belt is fine and the water pump is leaking a little. On my first Tacoma, the belt was never done and it had 182k on it. I had the belt/water pump replaced and the belt still looked really good but the pump was leaking (internally). So if you buy a truck and the service hasnt been done yet, just know there are many instances where trucks have gone wayyyy over the recommended interval and not had catastrophic failure. The motor is also a non interferance motor so if your belt breaks, you car just dies...doesnt do any internal damage.

4. Apr 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    gunnyz39

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    OK, so its not a terrible thing if it has never been done. The thing was they want $13990 for the truck, wont budge on price. I have to drive it almost 800 miles home.. Should i keep looking for a different truck?

5. Apr 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    ezatnova

ezatnova Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    That's a BIT high. Not bad. I'd maybe shoot for $13k even, although you say they won't budge.

Obviously tempting to try to factor in maintenance costs to lower the price in your mind, but that's not going to happen, unfortunately.

Just went through nearly the same thing myself. Picked up an 04 with 130k. No tune up was done. I think I paid $12,500 but then of course it's been about another $1000 in maintenance, and I get all my stuff at cost and labor = beer.

If you don't see the little sticker on the plastic belt cover (on top, very visible...near the "3400 ... " or whatever the engine logo sticker says, then the belt has not been changed. When you buy a belt, they give you that sticker to put on there so it's known that it was done.

As others have said...do the belt, water pump, coolant, thermostat, other belts, etc while you're doing it. If you've never done one, and you try it yourself, it will be a pain and take hours. If you get help from someone with experience, it will be about an hour or two for everything.

6. Apr 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    gunnyz39

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Thanks EZ! I am going to pass on that one then. Found one with 106k miles with all the maintenance done, they wanted 14988 but were willing to drop to 13900 , it's a 2004 TRD 4x4 fully loaded . And only 500 miles away .. Cheaper to take home.

7. Apr 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    fshams

fshams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    I just had the dealer replace the water pump, all belts including timing belt, themostat on my 2003 V6 at 62K while the truck was in for frame replacement. Although I went ahead and replaced mine, my old timing belt was still in a very good condition and it would have lasted another 50-60 K...

Products Discussed in

To Top