1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost Sunk

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HumboldtDyl, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    HumboldtDyl

HumboldtDyl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 3rz
    Pace Setter Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Cold Air
    Recently i went through a creek that was rather deep (water ran over the hood), i thought that i was going to flood my engine so i decided, in 4L 2nd gear, to gas it, keep the rpms high and hopefully make it through. Luck was with me and i made it to the other side, considering that i have a cold air how lucky am i and did i do the right thing?

Thanks!

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I don't think you should've floored it but at least you made it.

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Very lucky. If you plan on doing that again maybe invest in a snorkel lol.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Yeah, maybe it's time for a Safari Snorkel.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Not getting stuck was the right thing however you went about it!

Next time check the depth as best as possible or maybe avoid it. If I don't know how deep it is I don't go.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Yeah I've been in the same situation. It'll be the last time that happens

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    Avsguy33

Avsguy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    We've all been in situations where we thought we were going to get stuck. Sometimes its wise to stop and back up but most of the time...When in doubt, throttle out!

Obviously knowing the depth of the creek a bit better would have helped but glad you're out safe.

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Wow. You got that far with a cold air intake? I went through a 4 inch puddle of water and got the filter wet. The engine bogged like crazy so I had to let it dry for a bit.

I'm trading it out for a stock airbox before I got wheeling again.

Definitely very lucky you got out that easily. Definitely need to assess where you're going before, but yeah you did the right thing by gassing it out of trouble.

9. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Next time I suggest you slowly creep into the water and if you find that it's getting too deep then back out if possible.

To Top