1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine Loop Question

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by flagstaff, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Jul 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    How are the crowds on the loop?

2. Jul 13, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Noted Thanks :thumbsup:

3. Jul 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    Mineral didn't used to be. Back in the early 2000's I did it in a stock Chevy Silverado Z71 with absolutely no issues. I haven't been on it since (always take other legs/routes), but common theme whenever it comes up is that it has gotten much worse and is no longer recommended for stock vehicles. The entrance off 550 happens to be at a scenic waterfall spot that lots of people stop at, including us when we're going by. I will definitely say over the years I've seen that entrance turn more and more into bowling balls compared to what it was when we actually came down it.

I was going to say to @Murderwagon that it's faster to take 550 to Silverton and then up to Animas, but if you're looking for the scenic route then Corkscrew is it. I will interject that it's actually Corkscrew > Hurricane > California, and you don't want to head down at the Hurricane/California junction because that's Poughkeepsie (to Mineral). I've also never driven Cement, but it's a down in the valley road, wide gravel. If you want to experience the Reds directly, you want Corkscrew (and Red Mountain Pass, which has two sections that split off of and return to 550, running parallel). Had I been on Cement before it might be kind of interesting to drive it again after the mine blowout and flood... last year or the year before or whenever it was.

I have my own version of that county map that Steve linked I'll try to post later. It used to be on here somewhere but I don't know if it still is (it's like 11MB). I basically traced the routes on to quad sheets.

CO MTN Steve and xJuice[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Jul 13, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    jtifm

jtifm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCSB
    Crowds were not bad on a Tuesday. Probably about a dozen oncoming up Mineral, passed a couple of times, no bumper watching. Engineer had oncoming every few minutes, couple at the summit. While on the summit I will say about a car coming and going every 5 minutes. Animas was about the same as Engineer. We exited to Silverton from there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. Jul 14, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    ultrabattler

ultrabattler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Offroad dlcb
    Fox 2.5 w/ resi. HS AAL Pack. Stickers for extra HP.
    Hi guys, does anyone think its possible to do Silverton > Lake City via Cinnamon Pass, and then back to Silverton through Engineer's pass with a 2WD Tacoma TRD Sport?

265/70/17 BFG All Terrains, Limited Slip Diff, double cab.

6. Jul 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Cinnamon is easier than Engineer but both are "doable" if careful unless significant erosion has Happened since last year. Lots of traffic on there if you need a tug, might want to bring a Snatch strap/ Rope just in case.

7. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    acidchylde

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Last time someone asked that, I was the only person to say 2WD would probably be fine/ok. Everyone else said they'd want another vehicle with or 4WD. :notsure: I've done it in mine without engaging 4WD for anything more than engine braking purposes, which is admittedly handy. You would be running it in the direction I would suggest, as there is (or was) a little spot on Engineer that is an uphill, off-camber turn that can benefit greatly from 4WD. Think I even had the stock Dunflops on it one trip.

For everyone else, including @xJuice and @Murderwagon here's that map I mentioned: screw it:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a67szcsx6febh3m/Alpine Loop Trail Map.jpg?dl=0

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    ultrabattler

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Offroad dlcb
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am thinking of just going for it, and if it gets hairy, turning around. Is the trail big enough for turning around, or would it be too late by the time I hit something iffy? I really wanted to hit this alone this weekend (one of those times in life where I just need to clear my head alone), but I heard that there are plenty of traffic, and if I brought straps could get help if it came to that?

Also, did you air down your tires? To what PSI?

And, your link to the map is throwing errors :(

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    acidchylde

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Fine, I'll use dropbox. That one seemed to work when I tested from my laptop as opposed to the desktop I uploaded it from.

It's a wide road in most places, just the shelf sections you wouldn't be able to turn around really. Lots of spots to do so as well. Most of the recent comments on it have been about how rutted all the bike/atv use has been making it. I'm personally of the opinion I'll always go until I don't like something and then either back down or turn around. Only gotten me in trouble once, and I should have known better. If it's wet or raining then 2WD may get significantly harder. I typically do not air down on something like either of those two, not that it would hurt. Assuming you have your own air and don't have to go into town to get it. When I do, I usually only go to 20-25, maybe 15. Last time we were down there I only aired down for Imogene (which I would NOT recommend to a 2WD - not saying it can't be done, but I generally give conservative advice). But I'm a light off-roader, not a hardcore guy like many others here. Keep my perspective in mind when considering anything I say.

ultrabattler[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    ultrabattler

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Offroad dlcb

I am also a light off roader (hence 2WD). I really just want to get out and see some Colorado beauty. Question, I noticed a lot of different trails from Silverton to Animas Forks. Accordingly to this http://ouraycountyco.gov/DocumentCenter/View/822 , which path would you recommend I take to keep things easy/cool things not to miss?

Again, I really appreciate your time to answer my questions. It's a 6 hour drive for me to just get to Silverton, so I want to get all my info straight before heading down.

11. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    acidchylde

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Silverton to Animas Forks there's really only one direct route, and it's an easy road just about any passenger can make (not that I would take a vette up there). I can't speak to many of the side routes other than Placer/Picayune which are fine. The two you definitely want to avoid are Poughkeepsie and Mineral (which is not labeled as such on the map you link, but it's the stretch down to 550, the line between "Mineral Point" and Engineer Pass labels on that map, which Poughkeepsie ts into the middle of). From Animas, I would drive up at least to the top of California Pass and look down on the lake. Other than that, the loop you describe is plenty and there's just a lot of stuff/trails to do in the area. I've spent multiple two week trips in the area and not done everything I wanted to do. Driving up 550 to Ouray is pretty scenic too. Off of Cinnamon on the Lake City side is American Basin, which is worth going up into if the wildflowers are really going, and if you don't mind a short but alpine hike there's another lake up there that like the one seen from California is emerald colored.

12. Jul 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    ultrabattler

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Offroad dlcb
    You have been more than helpful friend :). I appreciate it! Ill report back with pictures :) I messaged you my email for the dropbox link. Thanks!

13. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    Robb_D

Robb_D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robb
    FoCo
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Tacoma DCSB TRDOR
    285/70 17 BFG AT KO2
    First time I went over Cinnamon Pass was in a 2wd 1978 Toyota Corona. The trail has changed and the only reason for 4wd is the benefit of lower gearing. Still doable in a 2wd (some will say no to justify all their expenditures).

14. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    Murderwagon

Murderwagon Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Murderwagon
    Darkness!
    Thanks for all the solid feedback guys. I'm in Ouray right now and will keep piddling around til Sunday. I got in late last night and slept in the truck up Yankee Boy last night. Got up and hiked Sneffels and came back down.

Ultrabattler, sounds like we're on the same page. I had to boogie out of town with my dog just to get out and do my own thing. Do it up!

15. Jul 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    jtifm

jtifm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCSB
    Agree with what most have said, that run should be easy for you. Saw in passing on Engineer - third gen 4 runner, full size suburban, sequoia. All stock. With the clearance, wheelbase, and angles on the suburban being less than ideal, a tacoma should have little trouble. The 68 year old woman who drove the 4 runner up to Engineer through Silverton and Animas actually said "really all you need to get up here is an engine and a brain, isn't it?" Use both and you should be fine.

16. Jul 15, 2017 at 1:29 PM
    flagstaff

flagstaff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 dclb trd off road
    IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0348.jpg IMG_0377.jpg IMG_0389.jpg IMG_0441.jpg IMG_0445.jpg IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0577.jpg Trip went great, alpine loop was awesome. We were on the trails both morning by 7am to be beat the crowds. It worked for the most part, we saw very few people even on the weekend. We did imogene Pass on Wednesday and again we were on the trail by 7am and we didn't see to many people until we started up Yankee boy. We only made it up to the bathrooms on Yankee boy because it was a cluster with rental jeeps everywhere. Truck did awesome, but I broke one of my rear plastic bumper end caps coming down imogene. It was totally my fault for picking a bad line. I would say the alpine loop is doable in 2wd if you do it counter clockwise, I was in 4wd low manly for the engine braking. There are some steep parts. I wouldn't do imogene or Yankee boy without 4wd. I will post some pictures shortly. Thanks again for all the information.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    xJuice and RockiesTaco like this.
  17. Jul 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM
    jtifm

jtifm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCSB
    Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for the pics.

18. Jul 16, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    Murderwagon

Murderwagon Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Murderwagon
    Darkness!
    Just got back. I did black bear to the switchbacks but didn't want to go all the way by myself in stock tacoma. Did porphyry gulch yesterday too and hiked up above the lake. Friday was yankee boy basin and sneffels climb and then hanging around ouray to recoup mostly. Today was Ophir to telluride and imogene back. I would recommend that loop with thise directions instead of the other way around. Climbing imogene from ouray would be doable stock but you should be comfortable driving and good tire placement. I definitely smscked my skid plate and hitch a couple of times and sent my dog from the passenger seat to the floorboard once on imogene. Ophir is doable in 2wd when dry going from 550 to 145 like I mentioned but would be harder (not recommended) the other direction. I've been talking about lofting my truck for the longest time and really want to do it now, just have to get the money set aside. Sick trip, would go again in a heartbeat.

19. Jul 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Murderwagon

Murderwagon Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Murderwagon
    Darkness!
    Awesome pics and glad you had a good time Flagstaff. Sorry about the bumper.

20. Jul 16, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    flagstaff

flagstaff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 dclb trd off road
    No need to be sorry, I had a great time. It's just an excuse to get a steel bumper now

Murderwagon and xJuice like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top