1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternate cigarette lighter plug

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Waasheem, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Dec 16, 2023 at 10:25 AM
    Waasheem

Waasheem [OP] The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I’m looking to replace my multiple cigarette lighter plug needs.

I must have 8 different things that need to be plugged in. None pull a tremendous amount of amps. Maybe the Dewalt 20v battery car charger, it won’t charge if the engine isn’t running.

I’ve got a 4 port adapter that works ok but nothing wants to stay connected. I’ve got to constantly push them back in to get them to connect. Then if I need something that isn’t currently connected I gotta unplug something and plug it in. I’m pretty much fed up with all that.

What would be ideal is a panel with a bunch of female outlets, cut off all my cigarette lighter plugs and use a male plug of some sort.

I’ve considered using a bunch of regular spade or bullet connectors but that would look messy. Or maybe just use a 110v power strip and male plugs. But that’s an accident waiting to happen if something gets plugged into the wrong thing. Or a bunch of noco comfort connectors but that could get expensive.

Im curious if anyone has come up with something different.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JB7GI?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC004-1...2750207&sprefix=noco+comfort+,aps,181&sr=8-25

2. Dec 16, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    what devices do you have?

and what considerations are you taking into account that requires a ruggedized, heavy duty, weatherproof, proprietary, connector style to replace that?

3. Dec 16, 2023 at 5:23 PM
    Waasheem

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Rugged & heavy duty yeah. Proprietary not necessary.

A couple different cordless tool battery chargers, a couple jump starter packs, a few different rechargeable lights, a small inverter, three for two different phones and a tablet and a dash mounted solar charger. The solar charger is the only one I would consider doing away with, it barely helps. Everything else is used constantly. Added up it comes to 12.

More than the average person needs to drive down the road, it’s a work truck. The dirt dust and spilled stuff seems to get everywhere.

soundman98[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2023 at 7:07 PM
    Mont Blanc

Mont Blanc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Tacoma SR5
  5. Dec 16, 2023 at 9:32 PM
    Waasheem

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    The whole cigarette lighter adapter thing I see a lack of evolution. Cars no longer come with an ash tray but still have a cigarette lighter. So everyone sell’s what they call a mobile or car charger with their male thing you plug into the female cigarette lighter port. The problem is they don’t fit good, don’t provide a good solid connection, work themselves loose, and need to be fiddled with to reconnect. I’m trying to get away from the entire cigarette lighter adapter plan.
    Your suggestions are appreciated.

The 3 port adapter is similar to the 4 port adapter I already have. Mine came with a male cigarette lighter plug which constantly would work itself loose. So I hard wired it in so it’s always on. It gives me less problems hard wired but it’s still far from good.

I’ve considered going the big inverter route. But only 2 of the 12 devices would be able to charge off it, I couldn’t justify the cost.

I was kinda hoping someone else has become frustrated like me having to constantly unplug plug back in the cigarette lighter plug in hopes it reconnects.

Another thing I was considering is utility plugs. They’re similar to a 110v plug but slightly different, like what you find on a computer.

6. Dec 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    i think you're somewhat on your own in terms of options that work how you use your truck. i haven't run across anyone that runs a similar setup, being powered entirely by the truck.

i understand you're basically looking for something like this, but for 12v power, and a more reliable power connection
    [​IMG]

there is this fused version for 12v
    https://www.amazon.com/Chunzehui-Horizontal-Connector-Splitter-Distributor/dp/B078N343XK/

or this is more like you're thinking, with separate switches for each output to turn them on/off, but this is the only iteration i can find, and has 8 outputs.
    https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Connector-Splitter-Distributor-Independent/dp/B09CPPYG4L

personally, i'd probably use something like this, change the radio for a 1 din model, and then fab the blank 1din spot under the radio to hold this switch panel to allow easy access to the power pole connectors, as well as the switches to change between different features. but i'm an integration snob...

there's this a 12 channel splitter
    https://www.amazon.com/Chunzehui-12-Position-Distribution-Connector-Distributor/dp/B07KSQ93XK

i'm familiar with the powerpoles-- i've used them for a decade back when i was really deep into r/c vehicles(low voltage, high current), and they're extremely common for commercial snow plow setups. Boss snow plows use a larger version of that connector exclusively for the 150A main power for all their electrically-powered plows and spreader boxes, with very few issues.

my next thought is really to use one of the switch panels like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Brightness-Multifunction-Momentary-Warranty/dp/B0C3CJX19B

personally, i'd look further into the 'overlanding' electrical stuff-- that's where more people are going to be looking for similar needs to be controlling many electrical items easily 'off the grid' with a 12v source. but integration into the truck is always going to be the most difficult part.

Waasheem[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 17, 2023 at 2:25 PM
    Waasheem

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    @soundman98

Thanks, I’ll look into the power pole type. I was looking at the Anderson style last night. Even the smallest 50a seem overkill big.

To Top