1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

another corner/blinker light relocation mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by onakat, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    onakat

onakat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    Also known as blinker relocation mod

I did this mod on my truck, but in a different way. At first I just wanted to put the blinkers in the corner lights place, putting the corner lights somewhere on my custom bumper. But I ended up changing my mind

It is similar to the other method out there for 96-00, but it is different. The end result looks the same, though, and it still doesn't require you to change the bulb type or socket or splice some wires. You keep the original stuff :)

By the way, I have a 2000, so I don't know if the inner dimensions of the plastic housing are different on 95-97 and 01-04. I wouldn't think so.... But if someone can confirm, it would be great

Also, I took the pictures after I was done with the mod, putting everything back in place. So I'm sorry if it seems like I am skipping a few steps because of that. But it's really a simple mod and simple alternate way of doing it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

What you need
    • a file
    • orange/amber bulbs (optional, but not if you have clear corners)
    • a drill (to drill the hole for the bulb you're going to add to the corner light housing)

First, here's what it looks like:
    DSC09067.jpg
    DSC09051.jpg

corner light only
    DSC09054.jpg

with the blinker on
    DSC09056.jpg

at night:
    corner only
    IMG_0011.jpg

corner with blinker
    IMG_0012.jpg

Now here's what you have to do:

Turn signal socket and bulb

File down the tabs around the socket that are used to lock it in place into the turn signal housing. File it until you have a smooth and even circular surface:
    IMG_0004.jpg

Then you'll have to file the hole where the smaller socket for the corner light was so the turn signal socket and bulb will fit in. Basically, you just file down the part where the locking tabs for the corner light socket were latching onto. File it untill the edge of the circular dip this part was coming from. Don't file it too much, so the socket fits tight and snug into the hole

IMG_0001.jpg

You will now be able to push the blinker bulb and socket in untill it stops at the circular lip around the socket, like this:

IMG_0006.jpg

Then to make sure it stays in place, put a small screw through the socket's lip (it should stay in place on its own, as it is fitting tightly in the hole, but just in case, I put a small screw).

Corner light bulb and socket

Now, drill a hole the size of the corner light socket (tabs not included) then cut out (or file) the edges so the tabs will fit in, allowing you to lock it in place:

IMG_0002.jpg

Now your housing should look like this:

DSC09066.jpg

To clean the plastic dust inside the housing, put some water in, shake it good then empty it. Do this a few times and the dust should be gone. Then let it dry or blow it dry and reinstall it on the truck

You might need to change the o-ring around the corner light socket for a thicker one, to make it fit more tightly against the housing

And that's it, you're done! :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Jul 15, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    beez

beez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    04 single cab PreRunner
    Excellent!

onakat[OP] likes this.