1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternative Differential Locker Mod. by "dbbd1"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toku58, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:13 PM
    toku58

toku58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    We can call this this DBBD1- wire mod.
    It is just that, an alternative. I liked the relay idea that a lot of you have done but I was not comfortable with a few things, mostly cutting that many wires, but more importantly, you could engage it at any time. I am not the only one to drive my truck, wifey does on rare occaisions, as will friends in need. I did not want them looking at the locker switch and thinking "oh, what does this do" and engaging the locker at 60mph! With this mod, you engage my switch (fools the ecu), then hit the stock locker switch when you want/need it. My way is easier, only one wire to hookup to a switch then from the switch to ground. What we are doing is fooling the 4wd ecu into thinking that the truck is in 4low. We are going to just short across the 4low switch that is on the transfer case. When your truck is in 4low, it shorts this wire to ground anyways. We will just do this with our internal switch. The only downside to this is that if you start the truck with the switch "on," (truck thinking that you are in 4low), the green 4wd light on your dash starts blinking. If you flip the swtich after you start it up, all is fine. I can live with that. It will still lock up though, even with the greenie blinking. It disables ABS (on my truck) and I assume VSC on those of you that have it. All other functions are the same and it works just the same as the relay version of this mod, locks up and will accept whatever speed you want to go. Now the pic's.

Here is a write-up on removing the glove box (sorry for the hijack of the pic's)
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170576

This is the connector we are looking for. It is to the right and up, behind your glove box. You can see it in 6th and 8th pic's down. It is the top connector on the white plastic box of connectors.
    LockerMod7_54a72107ef28ac97b6825791f1c193da0994b446.jpg

I just "tinned" the wire (put solder on it, gave it some rigidity) and stuck it in next to the top left wire. It is yellow w/black stripe. Just squeezed it in there and put a couple of zip ties on all on all of the wires to keep it from slipping back out. It stays in there nice and good. I then ran that wire over to my switch. (Yes, there are actually 2 wires there. I had a 4-conductor cable that I used, so I ran 2 to the switch from there and 2 to the ground from the switch)
    LockerMod4_981f2afc03faf671d5a4c8f4bc3e069f1fab4923.jpg

Then ran the wire from the switch to the ground, same as shown in the TPMS mod referred to above.
    LockerMod6_2d397ddd543d652fca332b3b6a9490f292702167.jpg

Now to go out and play. Remember just to flip the switch after the truck is "on" and you are good to go. Then all you need to do is hit the locker switch when you want to lock up.

soggyBottom likes this.
  2. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    TimRD OffRoad

TimRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Off Road 4x4
    King Coil Overs, Add-A-Leaf, Custom tube rear bumper
    dude you are amazing. i just did this mod in 2 minutes and tested it out and all is well. thanks for a great tip.

soggyBottom likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl New Guy with an Old Hat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Fergus, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD
    So I did this mod today, and it turns out the ECM doesn't like it. :mad:

Drove around the block and on came the CEL. Pulled the code and had a P2772 - Low Range Error. Apparently the ECM looks at both the low range switch and the 2H-4H-4L switch to make sure they agree. Well, since they don't with this mod it will throw a CEL. And, with the CEL on and the P2772 stored the transmission (auto) will NOT upshift into 5th gear.

On to the relay mod I guess... :D

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R

this makes me not want to do it.. any way to do this without using another switch? idc that it can be activated anytime...

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    :popcorn:
    :eek:

Holy thread revival Batman!

6. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    motorhead1257

motorhead1257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    Casper
    None yet
    I have a Reg Base Cab with the 2.7L someone was telling me it won't accept this mod cause it's not an Access Cab or Dble Cab and is not a TRD.
    I've read some stuff about it and I'm like really gona be PISSED cause on the bed of my Truck it says TRD and all that happy horse crap. I read a mod somewhere here and it was talking about cutting a yellow wire with a "THIN" black stripe on it "second one down from the top" which I did, and have this button on the drivers left side dash panel with a vehicle symbol and squiggly lines like is sliding. I push it and no lights or anything when in 4H or 4L except the 4L light flashing and no sound. But I can't tell if the truck is doing a dang thing. Soooo, I put the wire back together temporarily and now all those light come on and except the squiggly line light goes out and the Auto/LSD light goes out when I shift into 4L. but the 4L light indicator comes on and does not flash.

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'm just lost as all Hell and I'm torn to bits over the BS cause I don't understand what the deal is.

Thanks for all and any help from ya'll.

7. Aug 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    07terry

07terry Active Member

Member:
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 trd
    what year is your trk

8. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    clayhopkins1

clayhopkins1 Honey_Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVID
    ST PETERSBURG
    Morimoto 5K, Spidertrax 1.25", 265/75r16 BFG KO2s on black TRD wheels, Bilstein 5100s front at 2.5" and 1" block rear with 5160s, SOS Concepts Hybrid bumper, Warn M8000 synthetic, Trail Recon 22" Light bar, Walmart slim profile LEDs (as reverse lights), All alpine interior audio with Navigation, LED interior lights, "trailer plug" mod, locker mod, fog light mod, Debadged everything, custom sheet metal stiffener for tailgate, Cali Raised ditch brackets w/ Rigid Pods, firestik 4' antenna, cobra handheld cb (currently broken), Amazon (S-Pod clone).
    Can you upload pics of how you wired the switch in. I want to do this the right way the first time.

9. Jun 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM
    Andrew TRD

Andrew TRD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-road Tacoma
    Are the only one on here that can't figure out what wire it is? Am I just completely missing an entire sections to this?

10. Jun 26, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    1slow4.0

1slow4.0 Be at Peace Brother

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR
    I know this thread is kinda old but I just finished this mod a few weeks ago and works great! Thanks @toku58 for the great write up. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top