1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternative Method: Strut Removal and Strut Disassembly Combined

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BirdTRD, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    The jack supporting the shock from below will not stop the truck itself from being raised up when you remove the top stud nut and the spring expands. When the nut is a thread or two close to coming off, you may experience a violent release of energy. I think this is the fatal flaw in your plan.

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    yea lets see that picture of your hand again:D

3. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    This could be interesting, be sure to take video if you attempt it. I figure it's either going to work just fine or go horribly wrong.

4. Mar 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Maybe try that method but also firmly set some cheap spring compressors on there for a backup. It would add to the 'pain in the ass factor' but it might be worth it.

5. Mar 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    a friend of mine took an s-10 front coil to the chest one time...i wouldnt mess around w/ "quick" suspension work like that.

6. Mar 30, 2010 at 3:40 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    If you're working flat rate at a dealership this is probably how its done. On a fox chassis mustang you lower the controlarm until the spring pressure is relieved. I think this will work.

7. Mar 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    ikataco

ikataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Sport
    This statement, "Spring compressors are very dangerous in their own right." is false. It's a blanket statement. Cheap spring compressors have the potential to be dangerous would be a more fitting statement. I've used my share...JC Whitney.

This may not work, if the lift is 1"+ top plate spacers. Hope you're good friends with this "guy" if it does not go as planned. Take video, I'm curious like the other people.

BTW, is step 4, loosen and remove nuts/bolts to brake lines as you would for standard disassembly, necessary? I installed 5100@1.75 last week. FSM does not mention loosen brake lines.

8. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I don't see it picking up the truck. Yes, it is very powerful. It can send a top plate flying 50 yards if it pops loose but it just isn't going to through your truck anywhere.

When you remove the top center strut nut, yes, the coil is loaded. However, it is not loaded against the nut, it's load against the mount. There would be no pressure on the nut at all. That nut only temporarily holds spring pressure while the strut is out of the vehicle. Once it's in the vehicle the tower mount holds all of the pressure. That nut only has like 10 lbs of torque. It's only job at that point is to hold the rubber bushings in place and keep the coil centered in place. At this point it is no different than the rear shock's top mount.

No it's true. I've used a bunch too. If they are used properly, they are fairly safe. It is true that some are significantly safer than others too. However, there is always an element of danger to it. You still have a lot of pressure just dying to blow. User error or part failure can turn things bad real fast. It happens all too often. Would you let a child use a spring compressor? No, I wouldn't either. It is dangerous. I'd let a child help with many things around a car but not that.

This is a legitimate argument. I too wonder if the assembly would "clear" once expanded.

Removing the small brake line mounting brackets at the top rear of the UCA and at the back of the spindle gives your lines much more slack to work with. It's two small bolts that take about 2 minutes to remove. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Alldatadiy.com which is a digital copy of the shop manual tells you to do this. That is also why I unplug the wheel speed sensor at the front of the spindle. That step takes about 15 seconds. When the spindle is trying to flop around on you and the LCA is disconnected from the UCA and hanging lower than when assembled, there is no such thing as too much slack in the lines and wires.

9. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I have done this on a first gen..........................:eek:

10. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Awesome. Let's hear about it. Did you run into problems?

11. Mar 30, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yeah, it sucked. The spring compressors didn't fit quite right. It was very sketchy. I didn't have to remove anything but the tire to get them out IIRC. It was over 5 years ago.

12. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    sorry to bring up an old thread. But shortcuts like this is what get people mangled. The concept is flawed. I just put shoks on my truck and it took me 30 minutes a side all i had to do was take the sway bar end links off then take the shock bolts out and it was out in 5 minutes....i would laugh at you and call you a dumb ass if i saw this being done...then stay as far away as possible.

13. May 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    This method works. I did it on my truck today while installing my 885s.

It worked safely removing my stock coil from my 5100s that were set at 2.5" and it worked when installing the new coils onto the 5100s set at 0.0"

14. May 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Just because it "works", doesnt make it the way to do it. You may have gotten lucky.

15. May 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Yeah but there are lots of ways to do things and this way saved a lot of time, and I can say that I didn't feel unsafe at all doing it.

The truck didn't buckle at all and the floorjack that was underneather the LCA didn't move around at all except when we lowered and raised it to get the job done.

The shock itself was secured the entire time; even if something were to fail, which I doubt it would, it would be confined to inside the wheelwell.

You either take your chance dicking around with a coil compressor or take your chance doing it this way. Either way, just have to remember to be safe.

EDIT - I felt in control the whole time too. Using the floorjack to raise and lower the LCA to release and compress the coil went extremely smooth.

Oh and I used a 3.5 ton floor jack. I don't think I would have attempted this with a POS floorjack.

16. May 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Woohoo! :bananadance: I knew it would work. So you used it to disassemble and reassemble the coils? Like I said, I've seen it done quick and easy on other vehicles and nothing looked any more potentially dangerous than the usage of coil compressors.

Chris, you're just jealous you're not an innovative genius like me.;)

17. May 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Trust me, I am not in any way jealous. I DO however want people to be informed of the correct way to do things on a vehicle. Fucking around with these springs can, and has, caused serious injury to people. You may think you are "in control", and that if something was to go wrong, it would be "confined to the inside of the wheel well", but its not, and thats ignorant. I dont belive you have any idea of the pressure a compressed spring is under.

18. May 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  19. May 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    You continue to insist there is only one possible "correct" way. Just because you are well respected on here (by me as well) and even considered a god by a few chuckle fucks doesn't mean you're the "be all end all". You are correct, fucking around with springs can, and has, caused serious injury. This method, however, is not "fucking around". It's a sound theory. Sure there is risk. Just like there is risk with coil compressors (I have seen fuck heads damn near kill themselves or someone else on youtube with those.). There is risk in jacking up a car and getting underneath it, there is risk in dropping a gas tank, etc., etc. We calculate those risks and happily wrench away on our vehicles anyway. Most of the time without consequence.

Please don't assume I am "ignorant" or "have any idea" about anything. I'm nearly, if not just as old as you, have wrenched all of my life, have a shit ton of education, and am quite smart if I do say so myself. I know a lot. Just like you probably do too.

20. May 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There is a reason that the industry accepted standard is coil compressors.

I've seen a lot of dudes who have taken "sound theory" shortcuts end up without fingers, eyes, etc far more often than folks who do it the right way.
    If you wanna use your method- Feel free. But don't argue when someone else gives a different opinion-Say thanks and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top