1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternative Method: Strut Removal and Strut Disassembly Combined

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BirdTRD, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Then you should know that this method of spring removal greatly increases the chance of getting hurt. A spring compressor has safety devices built in preventing the spring from shooting out. This method does not. The thing is.....You recomending this way of doing the job to someone, then they do it, and the spring shoots out at them. How are you going to feel?? When they could have greatly reduced the risk by doing it the correct way. You may know alot, and Im not saying you dont, but how many profesional race teams have you seen change springs this way?? I have personally seen what a spring can do to a wall, car body, my hand, a friends hand, etc. and can attest to the time saved, if any, is ofset in a big way if something goes wrong. If your going to give advice and show someone, or thousands, on a website, you should show the safest, and most accurate way to do the job propperly.

2. May 30, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I belive Im qualified to attest to the damage a spring can do when not handeled with respect:

broken thumb.jpg

3. May 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Attest.

4. May 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just want to say to anyone who may be reading this that is not comfortable using a spring compressor, you can just take the coil over assembly to your local shop and they will assemble/disassemble them for you. I have a good amount of experience with spring compressors, and the method stated in the OP is far more dangerous than using a spring compressor, so don't treat it as an a way to eliminate the hassle of using one.

5. May 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    He did not give a different opinion. He called me ignorant and told me I have no idea. If you review the thread carefully, you will see I never attacked, slandered, or even really argued. I simply presented a theory and opened it for ideas and suggestions. If anyone was accusatory, it was Chris. So get off your moderator high horse.

Go back to the first post as well as my subsequent posts and you will see I never recommended this method. I presented it as a theory and opened it for discussion.

6. May 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    My statement:
    Was not directed at "you", but more twards teh person using this method to remove the springs. I apologise if it came off wrong.

7. May 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    And I DO tend to take things like this a little personal, as I belive a goal of this site is to give safe advice on how to work on a vehicle. Im pretty sure alot of us have experiance on how things can be done, but shouldnt......

8. May 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Fair enough.:cheers:

Again, I never recommended this theory. I have never done this method.

I presented the theory because I had seen it done on another vehicle. I then opened it up for discussion.

One guy tried it and it worked with no problems. I congratulated him. That's it.

9. May 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Here is the first thing Chris said:
    I believe that you have some reading issues- Chris called the "confined inside the wheel well" comment ignorant later in the thread and you didn't make that statement-so calm down.

And you may not have said "I endorse this method" but by posting and encouraging people to try it- That's a recommendation. The fact you haven't even done it yourself makes this that much worse. Risk someone else to try your idea....Lame.

As far as the moderator high horse comment- Get real. I'd tell you that I think this is a horrible idea to your face, in a letter, whatever- moderator has nothing to do with. He doesn't like your idea- I don't either. Quit cryin about it.

10. May 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Nope, I'm a hell of a reader. I'd be willing to bet I'm one of the best readers on this forum. It's linked to what I do for a living and I even have a master's degree in teaching reading. That was written in a response to me and it appears to have been deleted. Hmmm, funny huh? Even he felt it appropriate to remove it. Not to mention that had been dealt with. He previously explained his stance and I accepted his explanation with a cheers. I'm not worked up so I don't need to "calm down". I'm just sticking to my guns. Again, go read my posts in this thread. They are consistently professional in tone and content. If I joked, i put some type of smiley next to it.

No I did not say, "I endorse this method". Nor did I ever encourage anyone to do it. If you think I did, please direct me to that post and I will change it accordingly. THe fact that I haven't even done it myself is clearly stated in the first post and several other posts in the thread. I am not "Risk"(I think you were looking for "Risking" here) someone else to try my idea. I know that's lame. I wouldn't do that.

I'm not crying and never have in this thread. As I said earlier, all of my posts are professional in tone and content.

You seriously negative rep'ed me and and in it told me to quit crying? Wow! Who's the one being unprofessional?

11. May 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I dont see anything that was deleted in this thread..:confused:

12. May 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
  13. May 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I don't think I ever said you needed to be professional. I don't like your attitude OR your idea and I'm telling you so. You wanna cry about how you were called ignorant (when you weren't) and about how you know so much about everything and this is a perfectly safe idea when it's not- I'm gunna tell you.

You post a roughly step by step process for how to complete a maintenance function on a truck and then go on to say you don't see a reason why it shouldn't work...but you don't expect people to try it based on your process/comments- That's semantics and for someone who is so good at reading I would think that wouldn't be lost on you.

PS-Tell me how the statement "chuckle fucks" is professional.
    PPS- [​IMG]for your great reading skills.

14. May 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Couldn't it have ended with...

Be safe in whatever method you decide to use?

I think its ignorant to know the dangers of using a spring compressor by yourself from first hand experience but still suggest that it is the correct and proper way of doing it.

I used the coil compressors to get the stock coil off my passenger side and it was sketchy as fuck. My captain suggested this alternate method without me even bringing it up, so we went for it. Reassembled the 885 onto the 5100 using this method and used this method to disassemble and reassemble the driver side.

This was felt much safer and was much quicker.

If you insist on doing it, choose whichever one you feel more comfortable with.

If you don't want to risk it, take it to a professional.

15. May 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Oh and I don't remember recommending this method to anyone. I just shared my experience with it and said that it worked for me.

16. May 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Sorry, missed it.

I have no attitude. I don't understand what you don't like. I don't remember you even really discussing the idea. I have more of a memory that includes you marching in with a badge and a gun to regulate the riff raff. I quite possibly misunderstood that.

Yes, I posted a roughly step by step process. I did it because I thought it was the best way to explain a process that people would understand. Yes, you are correct. I see how someone could misunderstand the post as instructions. It's loaded with question marks though. I think it is obviously stated in an inquisitive style. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Chuckle fucks was not the best choice of words but I actually added it following suit of Chris's usage of inappropriate language. I do insist that it was directed at nobody in particular. I said something along the lines of he is well respected by some, including me, and even thought to be a god by some chuckle fucks. You and I both know that is not an attack on anyone in particular. A minor infraction at best. Even you must admit that.

Edit: I forgot to thank you for the gold star. I feel extra special now.

17. May 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    What kind of coil compressor did you use?? A wall mounted crank or hydraulic unit or those threaded claws?? Cause I'll tell you- The threaded claws aren't the right way either. I've only ever used a wall mounted unit.
    And if we are going to have a debate about risk-Everything is risky so stay in bed- altho that risks obesity so maybe don't do that either. You mitigate risk the best you can...and I don't believe this method does that.

18. May 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    I did what most people on this site did and do - went to Autozone and rented theirs. Sure it had safety pins, but the coils on our trucks are too thick for them to work. I knew the dangers of using it, I used it, and decided to try something else.

I didn't turn this into a risk debate.

19. May 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    When I decided to change my springs I picked up the "free loaner" at the local part place.
    I did not feel comfortable at all with how it fastened to the springs.
    There are real nice setups out there and real sketchy ones.
    Since I did not like the loaner I made a very simple one myself.
    It is not fast and I am sure someone could improve on the design with out much effort.
    It has performed about 12 sets of spring changes so far.

The floorjack method can and has worked, but remember not every person on here has the skill and ability to do this.
    Lot's of guys and gals would be wanting to try this to save time and or paying a shop to do it.

Not worth the chance of something going wrong, espically compressing it back together with a taller and stiffer spring getting lined up.

Just another Chuckle Fucks opinion for what it is worth. :D

20. May 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    You have a short memory. YOU brought up the fact I was a mod. If I thought you needed to be put in line as far as the code of conduct goes- I would have. Instead I said:
    Chris said that it's not a good idea and you got bent about the comment (THAT WAS NOT ABOUT YOU) about ignorance.
    You seem bound and determined to be told you are right-Your OP was asking for opinions- You've gotten a bunch. Let it go.

Yup...Those are exactally the ones I'd tell you not to use. 20-30 bucks will get them swapped by a pro or 600 bones for a good wall mounted unit like the pros use. Those little threaded sticks launch springs all over garages with ease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top