1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternator failing

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VirginiaBound, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    Mechanic diagnosed my squealing as my alternator. Currently looking at replacements.

Can anyone give a good in stock item, so far I'm looking at the Duralast from Autozone for 134.

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Going to vary by area somewhat (some areas cheaper than others and even some areas of the same city that way depending on chain).

Local to me the O'Reilly has their Ultima lifetime at $125 w/exchange. Assuming a 99 v6. I'm using an 130 amp Highlander one on my Camry with no issues (knock on wood lol).

Comes a bit down to warranty. If you look at part numbers you can pretty much tell who makes what for who. Autozone (as well as other part chains) contracts with a supplier to private label their alternators. Often you can get the same alternator somewhere else, direct or online cheaper, but does not have the same warranty period typcially. Also, availablity of being able to walk into a local store and swap it if needed may be limited too.

I just plugged in a 99 v6 4wd on the local Autozone here it came up the same $125 exchange at O'Reilly.

As far as quality of Autozone alternators. I've never had a problem with them. The plus side too I guess is that if you are on the road and the alternator goes out there is a decent chance of having an Autozone around to warranty it. That is why I tend to use their gold top batteries when needing to buy one.

If it is squeeling then you probably have a bearing going in it. If it charges okay, not locking up smoking the belt and you are on a real budget you could call around to local rebuild shops and see what they would cost to put a new bearing in and check it out.

Anyway, best of luck.
    Cheers

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, 31" tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera, CB
    Hopefully, your mechanic correctly diagnosed it. One of the nearby idler pulleys
    could also be the culprit. (I'm assuming that 3.4 motors have those).

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Matte Black custom paint
    I just picked up a unit from Autozone over the weekend for $125 plus $73 core charge with lifetime warranty. It has the same casing as the stock unit.
    Mine went out after a day of wheeling in the mud:(.

To Top