1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alu Cab Expedition Gen 3 RTT Group Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by TinkyWinky, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    fergsonfire

fergsonfire Electrical Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    think you missed that "for me" part...

2. Jan 21, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    TinkyWinky

TinkyWinky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you share the other great "hard shell" tents out there that doesn't cost anywhere near as much?
    I would love to get in on the savings with you, i'm sure others will appreciate it as well.
    If you are referring to an ARB simpson 3, it is a great tent, I had one, and i got rid of it. However it is at least half the price of the Alu Cab and takes 10 minutes to set up verses 10 seconds.

I have this Front Runner pop up tent that cost $150, I consider it a great tent bc I can pop it up in 15 seconds including taking it out of the bag, be done with steaks and guy lines in about 3 minutes or less.
    I would consider that a great tent because it's super easy to set up and take down, it takes about 15 seconds to fold the tent.
    But it is best for nice calm spring and summer conditions, it will not be my first choice for a 4 season tent.

3. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:39 PM
    fergsonfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    sweet second person attacking an opinion on this thread. Stay classy tacomaworld. First off, I never said hard shell tent. Hard shell tents are overpriced and not worth the extra expenditure, in my opinion. If you are that worried that a branch is going to crack a reinforced fiberglass shell then maybe you should have cleared it... Going with a cvt, arb, roost, all are cheaper without any discount. As far as your "4 season" tent, not a single RTT is a 4 season tent. This is because they are not meant to stand up to high winds and heavy snow/rain. Take it from someone who has tons of time on the mountains that if you want 4 season you better be going with something like a mountain hardwear trango 2, north face mountain 25, or a hilleburg jannu and not something on top of a vehicle overly exposed. If you want to pay for it go for it. Alu-cab makes well built products, I will just be spending my money on their canopy not their tent.

4. Jan 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    Spixelz

Spixelz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 White 6spd DCSB OR
    Icon Stage 4 w/Dakar Leafs
    Hey man, I seriously never meant to attack your opinion, sorry it came off like that. I just wanted to understand more for your reasons to call it "meh" was all!

Cheers to another PDXer :cheers:

5. Jan 25, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    taco_pnw

taco_pnw Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD-Offroad DCLB
    Also in PDX trying to order an Alu-Cab Canopy. In for GB.

6. Jan 25, 2017 at 11:58 PM
    fergsonfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    Need to make a portland Alu-cab canopy group buy, haha

7. Jan 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    taco_pnw

taco_pnw Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    I've been emailing with Tom @ Adventure Ready. I'll see what I can do and start a thread if he's interested.

8. Jan 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    taco_pnw

taco_pnw Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    I'm too new to create thread, so feel free to copy/paste and start a GB feeler thread, but here is the details so far:

-------

Several people have expressed interest in an Alu-Cab Explorer Canopy GB in this Alu-Cab RRT thread, so I wanted to send a feeler out there for true interest.

I have already been in touch with Tom at Adventure Ready because I plan on purchasing a canopy regardless and he said if I could get 5+ people interested he would put a deal together. If people want this canopy and have flexibility on pick up/delivery please let me know. All I know at this point is that the next shipment from South Africa is "spring" - with no set date, yet.

Ideally, we'd have 5 people interested in PDX to save on shipping, but if you live elsewhere Adventure Ready can work with you on shipping.

More info on the canopy here: http://www.alu-cab.co.za/standard-products/explorer-canopy

9. Jan 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    Spixelz

Spixelz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 White 6spd DCSB OR
    Icon Stage 4 w/Dakar Leafs
    BTW you will not want to have one of these shipped. Mine came from OK4wd on the East Coast. They quoted me 800 bucks to ship it. Thankfully I was able to piggy back it to Seattle on a Adventure Ready container.

10. Jan 30, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    fergsonfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    @taco_pnw I spoke with them on Friday and heard minimum 3 months for 3rd gen canopies as they are being redesigned. I am definitely in for a group buy on these though.

11. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    taco_pnw

taco_pnw Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect it before May. Did they say how they're redesigning/updating?

12. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    metaldog

metaldog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    G550 and Landcruiser
    Im in PDX... not a Taco guy, have a G550 and Landcruiser. I was about to pull the trigger on a Alu Cab until I saw this thread. Any idea on what the updates are to the Gen 3 (https://adventure-ready.com/store/alu-cab-rooftop-tent/)? Also, isn't Adventure Ready just up in Seattle? Seems it would be easier to just drive up there and have them install it for you hehe.

13. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    fergsonfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    They didn't say what was changing, but I am guessing it is based on the wider tailgate top on the third gen. Unfortunately it means more time to wait

14. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    @metaldog since you're not a Taco guy, I think it would clarify ... or maybe confuse things :) to note that this thread started out discussing an RTT group buy, but seems to have morphed into a canopy (i.e. camper shell) discussion. So in this case, I believe "Gen3" refers to AluCab Tacoma canopies with the specific features for the 3rd gen (2016-17) Tacoma, which has slightly different bed features and a different tailgate. I don't think there's a 3rd generation design of AluCab's tent.

All that said, thanks to the graciousness of a forum member, I had a chance to check out an earlier version of the canopy without driving to Seattle, and it's very impressive. I have an ARE fiberglass shell, and I'm actually undecided if I want a shell/canopy at all, but if you want one, I think the combination of price, features and quality of the AluCab makes it a real winner and a good value compared to the usual ARE, Leer, Snugtop etc.

15. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    metaldog

metaldog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    G550 and Landcruiser
    Thanks for the great information!

16. Jan 31, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    Adventure Ready

Adventure Ready Adventure Ready

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys. Feel like it made more sense to just jump right in here. And since we just picked up a new...

That will be the actual Alu-Cab USA demo vehicle for the West Coast in the next few months, we should be on the four here.

We're happy to work with Tacoma World members so please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.

Seattleskindoc and dylmatik like this.
  17. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    fergsonfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    We are excited to have you on here. A bunch of us in portland are looking for canopies so you have some definite future customers.

18. Feb 1, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    TinkyWinky

TinkyWinky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey man, my bad, I didn't mean to attack you with my pixels, just wanted to make it a point that the alu cab RTT is fantastic and worth the money for me because I'm a lazy F_ck.
    I don't want to have to deal with pitching a tent in the dark and poor weather with the wife and toddlers waiting around.
    These tents are designed for 4 season as far as I can tell, it's good for high wind, rain, and mesh windows for summer heat.

It's ok to discuss canopies here, I don't think it matters what we buy, as long as we hit a certain $$$ in our purchase, we can get a decent discount.
    Please keep me informed in your decisions regarding canopy or tent, I should be in the market 3 months away.

99GT likes this.
  19. Feb 1, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    elduder

elduder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    Im in the PDX area and would be interested in a GB depending on the conditions. If its going to be redesigned and the wait will be months I would prefer putting a deposit on it rather than paying it all up front.

20. Feb 2, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    taco_pnw

taco_pnw Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    @Adventure Ready has one short bed canopy in black available now. Unfortunately, I have a long bed... otherwise I'd be driving up there this weekend to get it!

Products Discussed in

To Top