1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AlumEscape Expo Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 2012Taco, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Oct 26, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    With your fab skills and analytical thought process I’m certain you’ll be successful.

Chux[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 26, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    Chux

Chux Pura Vida

Member:
    NJ beaches
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O/R Beach Buggy
    Click on my Build
    Thanx!

I believe everyone can make anything given the proper tools. I’ve always been held back from lack of welder. My stick welder has been great to get my toes wet, my mig is gonna allow me to jump in the fab world. Just dropped it off today to get fixed and plan on getting a spool gun for aluminum in the near future. But we can discuss further in my build :D

3. Oct 29, 2018 at 5:07 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Since you mentioned tray,

4BB0C319-810E-4663-A172-D55EA2BCE2B7.jpg

From the pine barrens 500 this past weekend. That guy is from mainline overland. Pretty sure he didn’t sleep in the 4wc though.

4. Oct 29, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    2012Taco

2012Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Nice, I've seen that one in person and it's slick. My buddy has a flatbed FWC on a Super Duty that is super comfy. I'd have probably slept in the FWC over that hotel haha.

Did you go to this? I've wanted to go the last few years but I always forget when it is and the weather seems to end up being pretty lousy, at least it was this year and last IIRC.

5. Oct 30, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    I did go to it. I rode Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was brutal with all the rain. Everyone was completely soaked.

It’s a good event though. I also did the PA Grand Canyon 500 that they put on. That was fun too.

2012Taco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    You installed a LRA tank in a DCLB right?

Did you have to cut the bed to fit over the tank?

I just put my bed back on after finishing the tank install, and the bed was about an inch over where it should’ve been. The tallest part of the tank didn’t fit between the stiffeners correctly.

7. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    2012Taco

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Weird, I didn't notice any interference when I first put it in or last week when I had it back apart to put in the anti-overflow valve. It definitely doesn't fit between any of the ribs on mine either but I guess that high part of the tank falls in front of the ribs on the shortbed. That said, I just snapped a pic and it does look like the one rib is touching on the tall part of the tank. Never noticed before but the tanks been in for 6 months - oops. Looks like I'll have to get in there with a body saw or something to chop that down as I'm not gonna take that bed off again haha.

IMG_9376.jpg

I wonder what is so different though about your tank, bed or frame that mine just fits?

8. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Didn’t have any issues like that but I’ve got a 1” body lift.
    Still haven’t gotten that new overflow valve from them. :(

9. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Yep that’s the spot. Except my bed bolts closest to the cab, had about an inch between the bed and the mount.

My truck is a 2010, so idk if anything about the bed is different, and idk if there have been any changes with the tank. I suppose if you didn’t look for it and just bolted the bed down, the bolts might be long enough. Might bow the bed, or maybe not touch the mounts completely? Or maybe yours really does just fit better than mine.

10. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    2012Taco

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    Hopefully they get one to you, they've been super good to work with in my opinion but I think they are also stretched a little thin trying to get the LRA distribution setup here in the states. That said, I've heard they've been sending out the valves to folks that had purchased tanks from other suppliers, etc which is pretty darn cool of them in my book.

Install was super easy other than I really didn't want to have to pull the cap, drawers and bed again but it only took a few nights after work to get it stripped down and put back together again. The hardest part was getting that little plastic anti-siphon thing out of the neck so I could pull in the metal overflow valve (whic mostly could be put in by hand).

So far with one fillup the overflow issue seems gone which was super annoying. Only gripe now is the gauge hangs out at full for about 125 miles before it moves and the low fuel light comes on with around 8 gallons still in there. Seems like that's a function of the tank shape so oh well.

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    2012Taco

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    Not sure about changes either but I know for sure it didn't interfere a ton. I did notice a slight rocking action at the cab end of the bed (maybe an 1/8") when I was lining everything back up to bolt down but I just assumed it was the plastic bed being so flexy or something. It was pretty well aligned from the outside side to side and up and down before I even dropped the bed bolts in and I know I'd have noticed a bow in the bed when I put the bed drawers back in. I assume you've already chopped that rid to get everything back together? Did you get that overflow valve with yours?

12. Feb 16, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Yea I cut about an inch off that rib and have plenty of clearance now. Luckily I was using a jib boom on a bucket truck so it was easy to pick the bed back up, cut the rib, and drop it back down. That bed would be tough to remove by hand.

According to Ward Harris, I do have the valve, it was already installed. Looking in the fill tube, there is a flapper valve in there. I also added the plastic (tip over valve?) that had 3 wings at the top of the fill tube where the rubber hose attaches.

2012Taco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 16, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    2012Taco

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    Nice. I rigged a wooden A frame for the cab end with some chainfalls and used the engine hoist for the taigate end. Pulled the cap first, then the drawers then the bed and the reverse when putting it back together. I couldn't believe how light the bed was though, I was putting it on jackstands in the driveway and went went to reposition one and darn near tipped the thing off the other three jacks cause I expected it to have some more weight that it did. That said, that LEER topper with all the crap on it probably weights twice as much as the bed.

Wish I noticed that rib sooner though, looks like if I drop the muffler though I can get up there with a body saw and zip it off :sawzall:

JLink[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 16, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I sent them my info to ship it and simply haven’t gotten a response.
    I will follow up with them again via email. They were more than happy to give me the part even though I Purchased the tank secondhand.

15. Mar 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    Tom mike

Tom mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma trd sport
    What size bolts did you use for the bearings? Great build I’m doing my this sat

Chux likes this.
  16. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    2012Taco

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    5/16" worked perfectly for the bearings I had. I was going through 2 layers of plywood for the drawer box and used a thin nut on each side of the bearing, I think the overall length was ~1-3/4".

Tom mike[QUOTED] and HomerTaco like this.
  17. May 27, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    tscheidy

tscheidy Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Streaker TRD Off-Road
    Just read through your whole thread... I know what I need in my life now. Amazing truck and hope to see your build in person some day!!!

HomerTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top