1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I going to regret getting an Access Cab?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by sook, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    I noticed that the majority of the Tacomas I see on the forum and on the road are Double Cabs. I haven't bought it yet, but the truck I am considering is an Access Cab. Am I going to regret getting an Access Cab?

It's just my wife and I right now, but I expect we'll have a kid or two before I get rid of the truck. I already searched about getting a kid seat back there and it looks like it'll fit, but just.

Our other car is a Cobalt :mad: coupe, so we wouldn't have a way to move four adults. But all the adults we know CAN move four adults.

Is the resale value lower on an AC vs a DC?

Seems like if I don't need the DC, the AC is a better economical choice; less weight to pull, less cabin to cool, etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. i dont really see any down side to the double cab, good when i need to haul people around and need to put stuff back there if its raining or something

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    x2 if it's not much more get the double. If you're thinking kids, you'll probably kick yourself in the ass for not getting the double cab.

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    that is the main reason i got the double cab, was for the family expansion ability. the ac would've been more of a play toy for me. is the truck going to be a 4x4?

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    If you are planning to have kids in the future just get the DB cab. It will be some much easier getting kids in the back seat.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    I went from an access cab to a double cab. Yeah im only 21, but i plan on keeping this truck for the long haul. I wanted something that could grow w/me as i get married and have children. Plus its so much more convenient for me to have 4 doors, i use the back seats on a daily basis. the fact that i dont have to open the front door just to open the rear door is a HUGE plus.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm a single guy, just my girlfriend and I, and I went for the double cab, short bed because I found a great deal on one. I definitely like having the full back seat and would recommend it if you plan on having a couple carseats back there. I'm pushing 20 mpg and the cabin heats up or cools down quickly and I haven't heard any complaints about air movement from back-seat passengers. I can't speak for resale values though, I have no idea. Honestly, I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of which one you choose, just throwing in my experiences with the double cab.

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    ya go for the double...the price shouldnt be too big of a difference...at least not enough to outweigh the benefits(space for kids, better looks, etc.)

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm a single, 24 year old guy, and I would be miserable with an Access Cab, if that helps. Like was said, the big back seats come in very handy, and the cab cools down just fine, and I get 20+ mpg.

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    well I was expecting to get a double cab when I started shopping for a Tacoma. I wasnt planning to look for a truck until it cooled off again. But this one sort of fell in my lap - a guy at work is selling it and it's 3-4k below blue book. So I'm seriously considering it.

2008 v6 auto prerunner sr5 trd offroad with tow package, 20k miles, for $19k

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I got an 06 access cab when it was just my son and I. Now I have a bigger family and I really want to trade up.

On a side note, I like the shorter cab when I 4x4 because I can clear some slightly higher obstacles with the shorter wheelbase. All in all, I would rather have a full back seat for both passengers and gear (and stereo!)

12. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Double cab looks better anyway. I'd get it.

13. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Get the double cab. I have a 3 year old in a car seat and it has good leg room for him and me when he's sitting directly behind me in his car seat. I also like the full size door for getting him in and out of it. I can also travel with him in the back seat and still fit stuff back there and lock it up when we are not in the truck.

14. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Chonchon

Chonchon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCLB
    double cab. not only b/c you want kids, but your other car is a coupe, also a 2 door car right? That will also not be fun reaching back there to get the baby in and out all the time.

15. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    apparently I'm in the minority but the access cab is perfect for me, I have been routinely taking 500 mile trips in it this summer with another person and my large dog in the cab, and it works perfectly. Now if you ever plan on putting humans in the back you would probably want the double cab, but i think the access cab is a great set up

OverlandAZ and davidstacoma like this.
  16. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I bought my double cab because I like to drive when I go out with my friends so we all have room. I also have room for my dog to jump in the backseat. I also plan on having the truck for a while so I need room for kids when I eventually have them.

My cousin has an access cab tacoma and wishes he had a double cab bc he just had a baby.

However, my dad has an access cab and has zero issues with it and doesn't really need anymore room since its just he and my mom now. All the kids are grown up.

17. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    my dad immediatly regretted getting a double cab and wished he had just gotten a tundra extended cab for when me and my sister were small. If you can make it work with an extended cab and wont be overly frustrated with getting kids in and out go for it, but if you need the room take it, even when the kids grow up itll still be a dry place to put stuff

18. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    It is very easy to rationalize buying something when you really want it.
    I wouldn't get the Access cab if you are planning on having kids at all. I see people putting small kids in the front when they have access cabs which drives me crazy.

I have 3 kids and we rarely use my truck as a family (my wife has an expedition) but the double cab always comes in handy when hauling the kids around. I like to take the two older ones camping, etc which I wouldn't be doing with an access cab.

bottom line...you MIGHT regret an access cab...you WILL NOT regret the double cab.

19. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    another thing is the bed length. you can get a long bed double cab i believe, so that ruins that arguement(if you can't get a long bed, would you miss the extra foot of bed)? however, you can't get a 1st gen double cab long bed. those don't exist

go with the double cab, better to have too much room, than not enough

20. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    The access cab is perfect for me, but one thing I don't like about it is that the windows in the access cab are urethaned in, like a windshield. This causes dark stains to form as water runs around the window. It also results in a more poor repair if, god for bid, you ever need to have the access cab door repainted.

Products Discussed in

To Top