1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    cllowe24

cllowe24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2015 access cab
    Billstines with 885 coils 2”aal Lce header, pro dry drop in filter, charcoal filter removal, light bar in grill, ditch lights, yaesu dual band radio, and a bunch of other junk
    I need to upgrade to general. That should be my to do next year. :oldglory:

Chipskip likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    jim532

jim532 .

Member:
    SoCal - 818
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner V6 double cab
    I think the General test was easier than the Tech test. I started reading the material for the extra class and its a lot of information to consume.
    Dave Casler ke0og has a youtube channel where he explains the test material in plain english. There's a section for each exam element.

3. Dec 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM
    foy1der

foy1der Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W1FOY
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    That's good to know. I equated it with studying for the tech and general, but when I started looking at extra... boy oh boy, there is some learning that's needed. You can't just study it.

4. Dec 9, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    lordetaco

lordetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Lawton,OK
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    The way I I passed was just toke a much of practice and read the book which probably doesn't work everyone but in junior high school we had a class so I passed all three in one year of the class. The tech was definely the hardest to me!
    Extra was the easiest. But out teacher had a hands on learning program for me.

5. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    jim532

jim532 .

Member:
    SoCal - 818
    Vehicle:
    The only difficult part of the extra is there is a lot of information to consume if you actually wan to understand the meaning behind the test material. There's probably a lot of stuff you'll never need to know about after you the exam.

6. Dec 27, 2016 at 5:07 AM
    ecgreen

ecgreen overeducated redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 4-banger Access
    Hey guys, great thread! I have an antenna mounting idea and I am looking for some opinions.

I have a 2 meter antenna mounted to the bed rail in the back and it works OK. I off road a lot on very tight overgrown trails, and I want to keep an antenna in that position for obvious reasons.

Problem: When I am not offroad, I would like to be able to reach out further.

Solution: A through the roof mount to take advantage of the ground plane with a switch in the truck so I can change the two antennas. When offroading, I was thinking of removing the roof antenna and putting on a rain cap.

What do you think? Will the rain cap hold up to the occasional branch brushing against it? It will be on top of the roof, so it shouldn't get hammered too much.

Thoughts?

Sean

7. Dec 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    A roof mount is gonna give you "superior" performance, but how much of an improved experience are you going to have vs your bed rail?

You should also consider your expectations. I see moving to roof vs bed giving you a lot less than what you expect as far as range. If you're generally running in the middle of the pack, you're probably gonna have a lot less wrt needs in transmitting and receive. If you want to reach out and connect to the other side of the planet in a dense forest, you should reset your expectations. And a lot of the issues people get these days aren't even from the antenna as much as it is from things that cause interference when your vehicle is running or running in ACC (USB chargers, inverters, other power supplies, blinkers, etc). Also in overgrown trails/dense forests, you're not gonna get much as far as range.

What about just using a shorter antenna on the trail and a longer antenna when on the highway?

An antenna switch is doable, but there's a several db loss going through multiple interconnects/adapters. Plus trail issues can be annoying if your junk fails on you. It'll be difficult to troubleshoot as the complexity your system increases.

ecgreen likes this.
  8. Dec 27, 2016 at 2:00 PM
    ecgreen

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 4-banger Access
    Thanks for the input. Really what I am looking for is to be able to hit repeaters at greater distances when I am on the road. I plan on keeping the bed rail mounted antenna for trail use. I use a 5/8s wave right now and I can hit repeaters OK, as long as I am close. From what I read, I should see a marked improvement mounting on my roof with respect to hitting repeaters and on-road simplex. Am I mistaken?

9. Dec 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10

If you already have line of sight between your antenna and the remote antenna, 5w can get you nearly as far as you need. 50w might be able to get you 100+ miles but LOS. lack of LOS and you'll have nothing unless it's just barely below the horizon. I mean, if I really wanted to, I could make contact w/ ISS at 249 miles during flyovers with my HT if I have an antenna with good signal rejection on the sides.

I have a TM-V71A on a 20" MR77 magmount and that gets easily 30+ miles across the freeway. I did the same w/ my IC-T70a. When the engine is off and my usb chargers are off, I get like 50+ miles in light brush. So YMMV. Roof mount is best, but not worth the complication of having multiple setups.

10. Dec 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    ecgreen

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 4-banger Access
    Have you ever tried a bed mounted antenna? With the plastic bed, there is about zero ground plane. I have to imagine that a roof mount would be much better.

11. Dec 27, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    cllowe24

cllowe24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2015 access cab
    Billstines with 885 coils 2”aal Lce header, pro dry drop in filter, charcoal filter removal, light bar in grill, ditch lights, yaesu dual band radio, and a bunch of other junk
    I have thought about putting my 1/4 wave in the center of my roof. Right now I have a lip mount on the access cab door. I wonder how big if any difference it would be.

12. Dec 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    zdauexs

zdauexs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS Tacoma OR DCSB
    What length antenna coax cable have any of you used from truck cab to tailgate? I bought a 14' cable, but the shop where I had radio installed said the cable wasn't long enough. Radio is installed on the passenger side of the center console near glove box and antenna mount is passenger rear corner between bed and tailgate. I think they may have tried too custom of an install. I'll probably try going from bed, into cab under seat and up to radio.

13. Dec 30, 2016 at 2:02 PM
    ecgreen

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 4-banger Access
    My antenna is located in the driver side rear of the bed. The coax goes along the rail under the cab and up through the floor, coming out under the steering wheel and over to the radio in the console. My cable is probably 16' and just reaches. A standard 17 foot cord is probably perfect.

14. Dec 31, 2016 at 2:44 AM
    jim532

jim532 .

Member:
    SoCal - 818
    Vehicle:
    My antenna is mounted to the drivers side bed rail. I talk on both uhf and vhf repeaters and chat on simplex too. Line of site means a whole lot more than distance. There are multiple factors that determine you tx/rx abilities.

ecgreen likes this.
  15. Jan 5, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    gugman

gugman analog

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vermont
    hello every one, I'm interested in getting a ham radio and the licenses required. where do I start. any one place better then the other?
    thanks
    bob

Biscuits and G.T. like this.
  16. Jan 5, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Welcome and good luck.

Get your tech license is relatively easy, they say about 14 hrs of studying and you should be good to go. There are tons of free options out there for studying. I suggest buy the book, ~$20, and then you are done pass it on to a buddy who might want to get licensed. Google your area for Local clubs to see when they are testing. I love QRZ.com for practice tests and studying.

As far as radios... you will hear tons of info and if you read this thread there is tons of info. IMHO I would start with a Yeasu FT-60, great sturdy radio and not too expensive. The Chinese radio are decent and some people like them, but they are cheap for a reason and should be considered a throw away radio.

-73s

Biscuits and ecgreen like this.
  17. Jan 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    ecgreen

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 4-banger Access
    I studied using the ARRL book, third edition I think. I studied by reading and following the designations in the text to the question s in the back of the book. When I finished reading the book, I kept going through the questions until I knew all 400+. I reread the book a few time too. I over studied, but I learned a ton. I studied for around 2 hours a day for 2 or 3 weeks.

Biscuits likes this.
  18. Jan 5, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    tacitos

tacitos Tah-Key-Toes

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCLBJBL
  19. Jan 6, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    gugman

gugman analog

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vermont
    thanks for the information
    this is going to be one of my winter projects. now if I can only get off the TW forms I'll get it done. haha

Biscuits likes this.
  20. Jan 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    jim532

jim532 .

Member:
    SoCal - 818
    Vehicle:
    It's well worth your time to read the book and learn the material for the tech test.
    Dave Casler has a youtube channel where he explains the stuff in plain english, his videos are a good companion to the book

https://www.youtube.com/user/davecasler

Chipskip, conifers4 and ecgreen like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top