1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    You would loose about 2 db of gain with the antenna mounted on the rack over it being mounted on the roof. Depending on the antenna, that wouldn't be a big deal.

2. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I would try the roof rack tab mount first. Then if it's not satisfactory, try something else. My antenna is mounted on the extreme edge of a roof rack with no metal behind it (only a fiberglass camper shell. I've not noticed any issues being able to receive or transmit (antenna is not deaf in any direction). I can still hit repeaters 100+ miles away with very little power.

3. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Chipskip, Crom:
    Thanks for the advice.

About time I visited Ham Radio Outlet to see what antennas they offer, get some idea on how high they are, prices, etc.

4. Aug 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    sounds promising! Were you able to get the coax antenna lead into the side of the truck without removing the headliner?

5. Aug 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    I just finished my Ham Radio install last night and I'm really pleased with the results. I'm getting excellent reception and from what I'm told from others around the county, the transmission quality and signal strength is strong:

Radio:
    Kenwood TM-V71a Dual Band 2m/70cm

Antenna:
    Larsen KG2/70CXPL (glass mount)

External Speaker:
    Kenwood SP-50B

I also opted to use the Remote Mount Kit for the radio. The only thing I used from the kit was the Removable Front Panel and the cable extension.

I'll try to get pictures up this evening

Thanks again CROM for the PM info!

6. Aug 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Fiberglass driveway reflector pole works great, too!

7. Aug 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    Again, I really appreciate all the comments, feedback, and other installs here on TW; I learned a lot from all of you!!

One of the things that was important to me was a clean, modest install, that flowed with the truck. Here's a summary with pics:

I mounted the body of the radio (Kenwood TM-V71a) under the drivers seat with zip ties. I used the factory mounting bracket so that the radio would not contact the seat or the vents on the floor in order to provide better circulation for the radio.
    [​IMG]

I checked out the antenna chart that Crom mentioned previously:
    [​IMG]

Based on the chart and the fact that I wasn't completely confident about me drilling a hole in the roof, I opted for a glass mount antenna from Larsen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #3 - The interior coax of the glass mount is the only wire you see
    [​IMG]
    The obvious issue with mounting a radio under a seat is the clarity of the speaker, so I went with a Kenwood SP-50B external speaker mounted in the garage door opener area, which matched the radio and the interior of my truck.
    [​IMG]
    Final - no drilling here - all removable adhesives:
    [​IMG]

Sand Dog and seniorredwood like this.
  8. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Super clean install! Looks great! Congrats!

9. Aug 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    Thank you!

10. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Go on and put it in the truck regardless if you have any locals to talk to or not, as you already know there`s plenty of us out here to talk to

I talk back and forth to work all over the world

I use my IC 7000 on the base, great little radios

IC 706MKIIG in the mobile, for HF Tarheel 75A with Ameritron SDC-102 controller and Hustler SF2 for 2M

I detached the faceplate and installed it in the cup holder area just in front of the center console and put the radio under passenger seat. It`s much better than having to install the entire radio up front

I can get you some pics in the next day or so if you want some antenna and radio install ideas etc. Just let me know

Ya gotta get that Taco on the air :)

By the way, reading through this thread, I see we have some Taco owners that are new Hams, Grats to all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. Aug 16, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yeah with 13 cup and bottle holders I had no problem giving one up for my radio.

cup holder.jpg

12. Aug 16, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    OutRider

OutRider Somebody

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4
    Chrome Step Rails, Spotter mirrors, H-D window clings, Blue 2D Cell LED Maglite, UWS Low Profile toolbox.
    Thanks guys. I like the cup holder mount. I had the IC-7000 in my HHR with a Little Tarheel II and the SDC-102 controller. Comet 2m/440 mag mount. I also have a Kenwood TM-321 for 220MHz to get mounted somewhere. 220 is the Rebel band here in Middle Tennessee. Huntsville, AL hamfest is this weekend. That is GigaParts backyard so usually a good one. I may go look at mounts and antennas.

Like 1TacoBuz said - congrats to all you new Hams out there.

RJ
    Out~Rider
    KC4LRR

13. Aug 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Yours looks good, I see you have 3 cup holders in center, where I only have 2

I did mine similar to yours, I just did`nt use a pedestal

I flush mounted mine longways on the top edge closest to the passenger seat, by doing so I did`nt lose use of cup holders, I see you use 1 of the cup holders as a place to lay mic, I do the same with my rear cup holder

Your install makes the most sense for your application, nice job

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    OutRider

OutRider Somebody

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4
    Chrome Step Rails, Spotter mirrors, H-D window clings, Blue 2D Cell LED Maglite, UWS Low Profile toolbox.
    Went to visit my FJ friend Sunday. He gave me a cup holder mount, pedestal and base that was extra to him. We got off-road a bit and tried out the 4H and 4L, A-TRAC... I am very impressed.

15. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Yeah that may be it. Some of the links could be overly compressed. As it turns out I stumbled upon a net they were having and I listened in on one of the 220 mHz repeaters and it sounded wonderful, when I tuned into the 440 machine it was compressed, back to the 220 machine and it sounded much better! :) A very nice system they have--no doubt, I just wouldn't want to listen to compressed audio for too long a time. :)

16. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It's not so much that it's compressed it's just narrow band FM. If you look at a FM signal you'll see it has multiple side bands the narrower the deviation the closer the side bands too much audio will also cause distortion so shouting into an HT or mike figuring you'll be heard is actually making it worst.

17. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Looking for antenna recommendations.

136 - 174 MHz
    100 Watts or more max power
    1/4 wave (total height between 18" - 29" or so)
    NMO mount
    Spring would be nice but not mandatory

Thanks in advance.

18. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  19. Oct 1, 2013 at 4:41 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Just about any 2 meter will receive 136-174 and TX inside the ham band. Don’t think anything out there will do a 100 watts off the shelf most I have seen are more like 70 watts max most are 50 watt. 19 1/2" is a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna very flexible no spring needed if you add a spring you'll have to cut the antenna shorter makes a big difference at 2 meters.

20. Oct 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    New Ham here, about 6 months. I bought a Kenwood TM-V71A radio and a decent Comet base antenna and have it set up in the home with a 13.8 Volt power supply, works great! I do want to get a mobile radio (or move my V71A into the Tacoma). A couple questions I have are....

1) If I go with a 2M only mobile rig will I regret not having the 440MHz band? At home I hear plenty of chit-chat on UHF, but more on 2M.

2) If I move my Kenwood dual bander into the Tacoma, I then want a new base radio and will have my General Class license soon. If I buy a single base radio that has HF and the 2M & 440 are they decent on all bands? Or is it best to have a dedicated HF rig with a second radio for 2M and 440? I realize an "ultimate shack" has many radion, but I tend to blow my money on other hobbies, so Ham dollars take away from other interests...

All opinions appreciated!

KG7DDR

Products Discussed in

To Top