1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
  2. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
  3. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    [​IMG]
    Cbi only show for ditch lights, but I think they would work for an antenna

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2016
  4. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Hope that helps, also I think all three of those brands you can run driver side and passenger side brackets.

JackDaRiffer and dementeddigital like this.
  5. Nov 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    Hello guys!

I write here because you must be the experts on the subject and I might get some help!

I live in Mexico and I'm about to get my certification, but as the legislation in matters of communications changed last year it's not clear when I'm going to get it... Here is not that easy as in the US...

I'm planning a trip with other 9 cars from Mexico to Moab, some of them already have CB, others they have VHF radios (not programable) and others UHF...

I know that there is no problem transmitting with a CB, eventhough you dont have a certification. The question is if in the US you have certain VHF/UHF radios for personal use (not HAM radios)? and if there is any list of the different models or which ones do you recomend?

I hope that I can get my certification before next september so I can buy a Yaesu 857d...

Thanks for your help!!!!

6. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    Question For You All. Looking to get a CB for my truck when I go off roading and honestly I really know little about them. I could use some help and recommendations; one thing to consider I'm a college student so I'm currently low on funds and can't afford the best hahaha. All help appreciated!

7. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Good luck!

The only VHF/UHF radios, other than CB, that you can use in the US without a license are called FRS radios. They are small handheld radios that work as far as a few hundred feet. Although they claim to work for a couple of miles, it doesn't happen. Think baby monitor. They have to have a built in antenna and and very little power.

Here is the link to the wiki page about them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

On a complete different note, do you know of an HF Nets in Mexico that run in Spanish? My parents sail along the Northwester coast and are trying to improve their Spanish. However, most of the people in the small villages they spend time in, want to improve their English and refuse to speak to them in Spanish.

8. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:30 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    The Cobra 75 is very popular and less than $100. It also is easy to conceal so less likely to get stolen on campus. You will need a coax cable, $15-40, depending on the type you get. I don't remember what a firestick costs, but it isn't very much. Were are you at? There might be a ham or even a CB store near you that also help you tune it (the CB store near does it for free if you buy the equipment from them, or $20 if you don't).

Edit: It's not to late you get you Tech license and avoid the dark side!

llibrm likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    What's a coax cable and firestick? Also do I need to get another antenna for my truck? I've seen some guys with 2 antennas

10. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    coax cable is the specific cable that connects your CB (or VHF/UHF) radio to an external antenna. The 'firestick' is a brand name of antenna for your CB radio.
    http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Yes, if you add a CB radio, it requires its own antenna. It does not connect to your AM/FM truck sound system antenna.

Nicklovin[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Your options are GMRS, FRS, MURS Type radios. Go to Amazon or another retailer and buy 9 or more of the same radios.

That 857D shack in the box is a helluva first radio... :eek:

12. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    gunn_runner

gunn_runner www.gunnphotoservices.com

Member:
    Rocky River, OH
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD
    OME 886 & Dakars. 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
    KK4OCZ checking in! I fly drones, model airplanes, FPV (first-person-view) and use a 433MHz long-range controller and 1.3GHz video transmitters.

llibrm, Chipskip and Crom like this.
  13. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    OK, I hope this doesn't sound condescending, I am trying to help. You have three parts to a radio system: The receiver/transiver (aka radio), the antenna (Firestick is one popular brand), and the cable/wire that connects them (For most radios that is a coaxial cable [same type of cable as you tv uses but with different ends on it]).

The radios with the antenna connected directly to them are called Handhelds, HTs, or walkie-talkies (you can walk and talk...).

Your stock FM radio antenna will not work. You will have to mount an antenna to your truck specifically for the CB radio. Dead center of you roof is best, but I would go with a bed mount or hood hinge mount. You could also get an antenna base (mount) that is magnetic and could be put center of your roof when needed and stored away when not. That all depends on what you have on you truck (shell, cover, light bar, etc). Mounting radios can become a very personal thing (OK, I just ready that back and it sounded like I need to get a life).

ancient11 and Nicklovin[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    You need a license for GMRAS. I think you need one for MURS too, but I could be wrong. FRS is the only one you don't need a license for in the US.

15. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    FCC doesn't enforce GMRS license requirements with individuals. I checked all FCC field actions going back 6 years. So Chepo, or any other individual can buy GMRS radios and have a ball.

No license requirements at all for MURS!

16. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Good to know on the MURS.

Not enforcing a license requirement and not requiring one are two different thing. I don't have an issue pushing the rules about somethings that doing doesn't hurt anyone, anything, or such. But I think it is important to add the truth about it when giving someone advice about using a radio. Let them decide if they want to push the rules or not.

IMHO, GRMS license requirements will be dropped in the next few years. GRMS is a far superior radio than FRS.

17. Nov 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless
    Thanks for the help!

18. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Heh. Not to worry. On every bubble pack of GMRS/FRS radios I've ever seen there is a licence notice informing them of the requirement. I'm sure it goes right into the trash 60 seconds after they tear open the packaging.

Do you ever monitor GMRS? What do you hear?

I can tell you what I hear.

I hear kids playing games. I hear Spanish speaking persons. I hear people caravaning on the interstate. Etc.

None of them ever ID. I can't image why?

From all I've seen and experienced, the reality is bubble pack pirates reign supreme. :D

The one exception to the rule is commercial use. The FCC is so f'ing weak when it comes to enforcement. If you read the field action publications, they're quite detailed, you'll get an idea about how weak they are... Anyways, what they do is go after commercial enterprises for GMRS use. They are an easy target for high fines, so that is enforced.

I'll try and find some examples of you're interested, they read like a novel and can be quite interesting.

Edit: I forgot to mention there is a small group of licensed GMRS folks who are funny in San Diego, but they stick to their repeaters... They are fun to listen to.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  19. Nov 9, 2015 at 9:29 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    @Chipskip @Crom

Thanks for your help folks!

I already knew about FRS, and we are going to carry some midland/motorola for every person... (like 18~20 radios) the good thing is that they are cheap and most of us already use them for the expedition...

Yesterday I was looking and saw the MURS, and saw that they didn't require licence: "MURS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required for an entity to operate a MURS transmitter if it is not a representative of a foreign government and if it uses the transmitter only in accordance with Section 95.1309. There is no age restriction regarding who may operate an MURS transmitter." From here. And also read that the law only allows 2 watts and there are only 5 channels...

So, this leaves me only with the first idea: CB's for all!!!

@Chipskip I am member of a mexican HAM association, we have a , as I don't have a licence I cannot transmit, but any questions, future events or special transmitions are published there...

Again, thanks for your help!

20. Nov 10, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    gunn_runner

gunn_runner www.gunnphotoservices.com

Member:
    Rocky River, OH
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD
    OME 886 & Dakars. 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
    Not sure if this has been covered in here... does anyone have any experience using the 3-way Firestik for FM, and if so, any better performance than stock? Reason being: my stock antenna hits the top of the garage opening. I tried that shorter AM/FM antenna but the reception was horrible. If a short Firestik will work, I'll buy the base of the windshield mount and try one.

Products Discussed in

To Top