1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amazon Gems (Affiliate links are NOT allowed)

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by BeLance89, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    Ch78

Ch78 GBO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' Taco Supreme
    Tuned By D3 Performance
    Weak...

BlackGT99 and Rawdoggy like this.
  2. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:02 PM
    Rawdoggy

Rawdoggy Well-Known Member

Member:

3. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    acsarm

acsarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW WA
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 SW DCSB OR
    LEER 100R DD SS3 TRD Pro SEMA Wheels Bilstein 6112/5160 Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Icon RXT (3) Rear Sumo Springs 612-40 Decked Drawers
    Luckily I got the first aid kit and vacuum in time :cheers:

4. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Whoever the dickwad is that reported it is probably glad that the thread is gone. That's how people like that think. :rolleyes:

5. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    Superman910

Superman910 Epic Dirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Stock as Fuck or Not Fucking Stock
    Cover for your windshield for all that snow and or salt that seems to come down on you and your truck during the good times.

Use code: AMX238F9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRZ62SS

Legal disclaimer: this link is copied from kinja.deals.com a subsidiary tech news site of gawker. I am no way affliated with nor receive compensation from said source. My posting of the link is nothing more of pure laziness of having to not search Amazon for a clean link to post as the time associated with that endeavor would cost more than the cost savings of said product.

6. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    Rome604

Rome604 I am the Captain now

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Sequoia
    I just joined this awesome Facebook group...

7. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Superman910

Superman910 Epic Dirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Oh sweet. I was really hoping not to give gawker media all my money considering they have to give it all to hulk Hogan BROTHER!!!!!

Rome604[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Before the other thread got deleted someone asked if we the mods got a cut from the advertising that happens on TW.

This was my response.

“We, as moderators get no cuts from anything. We aren’t paid for what we do here.

@tcBob has it set up where he may receive a cut but I’m sure that’s to support the domain’s and servers he hosts his sites on. He can speak more on that if he chooses to.

His forums are built around the community. This isn’t here to turn a profit for him and we are here as volunteers to help try to keep this place somewhat organized and from coming off the rails.

It’s unfortunate if people choose to use this free venue to profit from and abuse the privilege of being a member. It would be nice if they would come to him and say “hey, I’d like to...and profit from it” before taking advantage of what’s freely made available to them.”

Using TW for ones on profitability goes against the intent of why the forum is here and continues as is, with no membership fee’s, no vendor fee’s and not being sold out to the highest bidder.

We are discussing it as it’s something new that we haven’t considered before.

More to follow.

9. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    Rome604

Rome604 I am the Captain now

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Sequoia
    It's a real gem of a group

10. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:35 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    In reality, all you had to do guy was to "search" for whatever you were looking for and that was it. His "deals" were nothing else more than common sense. Yeah you only had to click/tap on the link and buy. Did it ever occur to you that by typing whatever you wanted to buy either on the site or app you would eventually find the better deal?

Yes we leave in new times and this forum will have to evolve as well. I do love this forums. I personally don't give a shit about the other thread. It was just another buying medium to buy shit you don't necessarily 100% needed.

We are so used (specifically millenials) to get/find everything easily and on our hands nowadays.

Rules are rules, this forum is not our country. No one is above the rules here. Just my .02 I'm sure lots or poo will fall cause my opinion but then again, men.

Grab a beer, start having fun searching on Amazon. It's Friday night. Cheers.

11. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    BeLance89

BeLance89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2002 White TRD double cab
    I’ll be straight forward. I was the one who asked the question. And it was an honest question, not intended to suggest hypocrisy. If the answer had been a yes, I was going to ask if boogie could somehow become a mod to avoid the conflict.

Boogie was always very clear to everyone in the thread that he would get a cut from Amazon, and we were more than happy to support him in that small way as he had spent A LOT of time searching for deals and posting coupons for the community.

If at all possible, I would like to see a separate list, similar to the Approved Vendor list, that allows vetted members to post affiliate links. An “Affiliate Approved” list, if you will.

We appreciate the mods discussing the issue and are looking forward to a resolution that will hopefully benefit all parties involved.

12. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    CAG Gonzo

CAG Gonzo Ascendant Spaghetti

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    Logic and reason? In an online forum? Is the Apocalypse on its way?

In all seriousness, I concur wholeheartedly with your suggestion. I don't see why affiliate links cannot be permissible, so long as that is disclosed up front and it isn't overdone. BoogieMeister didn't overdue it and disclosed it. It was incumbent on us to decide to support him or not, and many had no problems in doing so.

13. Feb 7, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    Superman910

Superman910 Epic Dirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I respect the message and the intent. The CoC was put in place to protect the community and the ideology of a forum created to inspire connections between other enthusiasts and foster an atmosphere that promotes sharing and growing creativity in that space at no cost to the user.

BUT

While the Amazon affiliation program is a glaring example of monetary gain albeit a small one, the tacomaworld platform has been used not only by vendors but other members for monetary gain case in point the hundreds of molle panel custom built for vehicles, seat risers, bed stiffeners, hell look at how Prinsu first started and where it is at now.

Again while those members aren't getting rich off of it, they aren't building things out the kindness of their heart either.

So the issue as I see it for the amazon affiliation links is it directly impacts the revenue generated by the affiliation links at the bottom of every forum page. Which I get, TW doesn't run on hopes and dreams, thats what is put into TW but TW runs on xeon processors and server stacks. It cost money, and that cost isn't offloaded to the community, its taken care of in part by small bits of money generated by different aspects of the site. TW has to do what it needs to do to survive. Got it.

In the case of the previous thread - A member said some shit about boogie thinking they were gonna stir the mob in favor, got mad at the response from the rest of the community, reported boogie, and then mods started drilling down and boom here we are.

Boogie posted some great deals, and some of the shit was just cheap china crap. He put the effort and finding it and posting, I didn't see a problem in supporting that. Just the same if I copy a deal from slickdeals, kinja deals, camel camel camel.

Rules are rules, up to the mods and the great bobster how and when to enforce.

Side note - Who else is drinking a lot this evening.

14. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    All great points and the reason we are discussing it.

We do have in the code of conduct a specific paragraph regarding this subject (and other items).

What’s the best solution to this issue is the challenge. How do we resolve it without causing angst and animosity?

With the code of conduct, the founding ideology of the site and the spirit of the rules, what’s the best solution.

Now, remove bias and emotion. How would one look at this objectively?

15. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    Superman910

Superman910 Epic Dirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Update the CoC to clearly state the restriction(s)- Discuss the affliation links at the bottom of the page - Most websites even say it at the home page (If you would like to support please consider using the links at the bottom of the page to purchase product as this is a free site that does incur costs etc). Most people actually don't understand or get this part.

Other option is to only allow affliation links in build threads or specific thread as to ensure we don't have people spamming shit all over.

And threaten to randomly punch a kitten in the face if people get butt hurt about it.

16. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:10 PM
    CAG Gonzo

CAG Gonzo Ascendant Spaghetti

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    I think we definitely need a designated area of the forum for this kind of traffic, if the CoC is going to be updated to permit it. I'm torn between making it a sandbox where anyone can play (post links and stuff); the risk of spam inundation is on the user who decided to brave that space and they don't get to complain about it (barring reasonably unethical/annoying/etc behavior). On the other hand, as previously suggested, you implement an approved list of users who can post affiliate links. These guys are known to be helpful in the community and not an ass about dropping their info everywhere.

17. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:18 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    The spam inundation would come fast and furious. Even now we pick off spammers all day behind the scenes (some, you guys see).

50Buck, boynoyce, Kheiron and 13 others like this.
  18. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:19 PM
    BeLance89

BeLance89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2002 White TRD double cab
    Objectively, the affiliation was disclosed. We did not have to click on his links. We could have went directly to Amazon and just entered the code he provided. But we wanted to support him.

another solution, is to have an “this is an affiliate link clause” either attached to each link OR in their signature.

another option is to list Amazon as an approved vendor and on that “vendor thread” mods can update approved Amazon affiliates as necessary.

But the community also appreciates the DIY YouTube videos. They post the videos because they enjoying the work and enjoy helping the community. YouTube pays them, and that’s not their fault.

It could just be time for a revision of the rules, to “modernize” them, as technology and e-commerce has rapidly evolved.

Again, we sincerely appreciate the discussion.

19. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:20 PM
    Ridgeline001

Ridgeline001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4wd
    Objectively? As it’s been pointed out, many have sold stuff here, or put up links for others looking for certain product. The prior thread was a benefit for anyone that chose to use it and he made exactly $0.00 off anyone from this forum. We got deals we were looking for, an he got paid by Amazon for the time he invested. I understand the need and use of a COC, but forums must adapt or go by the wayside and to many of us, that thread saved us some money. But, there will always be a whinny bitch somewhere that messes things up for the rest. Every heard the saying “ This is why we can have nice things” ?

20. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:22 PM
    Panchovilla6192002

Panchovilla6192002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD SPORT 4X4 DCSB MT 2003 Red ExtraCab MT 5 lug
    It had to be Friday!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top