1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amazon Gems (Affiliate links are NOT allowed)

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by BeLance89, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:24 PM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
  2. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:24 PM
    BeLance89

BeLance89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2002 White TRD double cab
    I agree with that, and can totally see it happening.

3. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    boogie is a great guy but I agree that TW should remain free of affiliate links or similar. Dudes always come in here spamming their youtube channels or products. And it's not even like a good interaction where they are contributing members or anything. Literally all they do is login and dump their shit and disappear till next time they have something to dump. Or they login and try to pretend to be a normal consumer and be like, "hey guys totally not affiliated but have you guys seen this new product? Totally cool! Also I heard they are having a sale! Whoa!"

Boogie of course is different (lifelong member, contributes a ton, gives advice/knowledge/input when he can) but I don't think making him the exception would be okay because then it's playing favorites (or at least perceived to be). Then it becomes, "well why does HE get to post those links but WE can't??"

TW is the only forum I log onto now because all the other ones have been spammed to oblivion. Like absolute shit-oblivion. Whether it's firearms, hunting, offroading, or whatever. To the point where the only thing that people do on there is try to spam their own products, videos, or sales links. Used to follow that one jeep guy that had good gear reviews till it became apparent that he was just spamming his shit because sometimes people would have issues or suggestions and he would immediately ban them from the site.

Keep TW the way it is. If you want to make money off by using the site, then become a vendor. If you want to keep getting suggestions from boogie on what to buy then he can literally use any of the other dozen methods to communicate throughout social media (youtube, insta, fb, pinterest, etc.).

no one asked for my opinion but here I am

Wixo, bill8331, UncleBubs and 12 others like this.
  4. Feb 7, 2020 at 10:36 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    There in lies the issue we are discussing.

It’s not that he made money off people on the site. It’s that he provided links and received a commission from a corporation. The platform (TW) was utilized to profit from by providing links for people to purchase from.

1: It detracted from the intent of the forum and the owners principles.
    2: It detracted from the intent of the thread.

It’s spelled out in the code of conduct.

Any link pertaining to affiliate links[/], self-promoting links including YouTube channels, crowdsourcing, or fundraiser links of any kind are not permitted without prior approval by the staff. This includes personal fundraising through GoFundMe, Patreon, etc. This applies to any fund raising means as well; such as raffles, lotteries, etc.”

5. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:19 PM
    SD_Taco

SD_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport DCLB
    So...where’s all the good deals at?

6. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:54 PM
    BeLance89

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I can see your point here.

I’d like to add that I’ve been on here 2 1/2 years now and while I know where the BST rules are... I’ve got no clue where the CoC is located. Just being honest. And maybe he had no idea either. Idk.

However, posting a link to a hand-vac for detailing our trucks, or a first aid kit to use when camping, does support the intent of the forum.

Similarly, posting affiliate links to a vehicle maintenance DIY channel, does support the intent of the forum.

This is even more true if the owner of the affiliate link was not the OP of the thread.

There is a thread that is specific to the over 50 crowd, to the craft beer enthusiast, and the grave shift workers. I don’t see how the Amazon deals thread, other than the affiliate links, is any different than those threads. It brought together a group of Tacoma enthusiast who shared another commonality. But instead of beer, age, or work schedule,.. it was couponing.

7. Feb 8, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    BeLance89

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Well said and excellent points :hattip:

InfernoChalupa likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    probably that dude who tried starting shit then got a world of flaming from a bunch of members.

9. Feb 8, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    ajmogen

ajmogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    OR MT TACO T4R YARIS MT Corolla Hatchback MT
    Nice work

10. Feb 8, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    PyritePirateBill

PyritePirateBill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 pyrite mica TRD Sport 4x4 AC
    OME 886 Nitrocharger lift, Dakar HD leaf pack, u-bolt flip kit, Bilstein b110 rear shocks, Wheeler's super bumps,18x9 Worx Havoc, 35/12.50/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ENVE Grille with LED lightbar & raptor leds, ditch lights, nFab tire carrier, 6k hid, tinted tails, AtTheHelm bed stiffeners, SOS Concepts rear bumper, Demello baja front bumper, Smittybuilt 9.5k winch, Mobtown weld-on sliders, AllPro IFS & transm. skid, Mobtown transfer case skid, led fogs, rear-facing led pods on Rago bed brackets, led lights in rear bumper, 54" Bulldog hi-lift jack, Razorback shovel & axe on Quickfist mounts, 2 fire extinguishers, Cobra CB w/Firestik antenna, Tacomapocalypse bed bars w/ Du-Bro 6 fishing rod holders, 4 recovery boards, Yellow wire mod for 4Lo, URD y-pipe, 2.5" custom exhaust w/ Borla muffler, Viair portable air compressor, Kryptek Typhon seat covers, AJT dash knobs, and patches...too many patches
    ^^^This^^^
    @boogie3478 was a great example of this. He ABSOLUTELY LOVES helping the community of Tacoma owners mod their rides, share useful tips and info, etc.
    Let's be real about this...he was not really making much of what anyone would consider a "profit". If he saved me $35 on a $100 purchase on Amazon, do you think I care that they give him $5 for spending time searching for the deal & directing me to the deal? That's like being mad at the grocery store for saving me a drive to Idaho to buy my potatoes.

Yes, I also understand the reasoning behind the rules in place. However, amending these to help out the community from members that GENUINELY WANT to help would not be a bad idea.

BTHawk, TRDguyKC, UncleBubs and 16 others like this.
  11. Feb 8, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    HVLA

HVLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue OR DCSB 6MT
    Yep. We all know who reported it. It is a bunch of bullshit. His links werent affecting a damn thing here. Hes making pennies while we save a bunch. And he was taking nothing from this site. Just another example of people creating rules that someone with even the slight bit of intelligence would realize should have some flexibility. I certainly will be spending a lot less time on this site. So great job i guess??o_O

12. Feb 8, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    By this logic we should go ahead and remove the classified sections all together. There are several members here that are turning a profit on their products, but are not vendors...

13. Feb 8, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    ajmogen

ajmogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    OR MT TACO T4R YARIS MT Corolla Hatchback MT
    Don't tempt them

c.car likes this.
  14. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    @mods :boink:

lols

15. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    Those are for products, whereas anyone can post a link.

Hell if they allow affiliate links I'll be the first to start spamming the site looking to make some monayyyy. And sure you can say you won't click on it but somebody will. And I just made $3 with each click heyyyy

You're not going anywhere. Where you going to go? 3gtacoma? Lol k

Blue92 and TacoFMS like this.
  16. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    DarkMark340

DarkMark340 @TRDLess_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black 4x4 Tacoma DCSB Base
    SUSPENSION: 3” Factory/Toytec Lift Blackout14 Custom Leaf Pack 5+1 HD Bilstein 5100 B100 Shocks Wheelers Off-Road U bolt Flip kit w/ Timbren Bump stops BAMF HD Rear Shackle Hangers ARMOR: SOS Off-road Concepts Sliders SOS Off-road Concepts High Clearance Rear Bumper Pelfreybilt Front Bumper Full Hoop GEAR: Smittybilt X20 10K Synthetic Line Winch Leer 100XQ Prinsu CABRAC & TOPRAC Simple Outdoors Skyloft Hardshell RTT Pope Overland Expedition 72” Awning 18x9 VTX Off-road Bronze Terra CaliRaised LED Lights FUTURE PURCHASES: SOS Off-road Concepts Full Skid Plates Relentless Fabrication Tailgate Reinforcement ARB Twin Compressor w/ Locker
    Taco_Coma likes this.
  17. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    As they have said, this is Bob's site. He can do what he wants with it and we can stay or go as we please.
    Personally, I think it's a terrific website and Bob and the mods have done an excellent job keeping it that way. I've seen many many other forums come and go during the time this one has been around. With the traffic TW generates, I have no doubt that Bob could sell it for a huge profit at which point it would become a giant commercial and quickly deteriorate to the point of worthlessness. I think it's admirable the way this site is run and maintained, keeping it a valuable resource for the members. If Bob decides that no affiliate links should be allowed, that's his prerogative and I'm absolutely fine with it.

Those links were posted for quite some time, it was no secret that they were affiliate links. I have a hard time believing that neither Bob nor any mods were aware of them. Then some whiney douche who was jealous of them decided he had nothing better to do than bitch to the mods. It's the same jackass that cried to the teacher in grade school that little Billy had gum and didn't bring some for everyone. Chickenshit little bastard was just thrilled when the teacher took away Billy's gum even though that didn't change his own situation one bit. There are a disturbing amount of people in the world like this and I think they should be called out at every turn because they make it a worse place to live.

Tsinajinii, bill8331, stbear and 20 others like this.
  18. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    JSmith501

JSmith501 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Off Road 4x4
    Such a bummer. Loved grabbing my morning coffee and going through the Amazon Gem thread that Boogie contributed heavily to.

19. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    themanbearpig012

themanbearpig012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Nipomo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD SPORT
    Fox 2.5 Factory Series Coil-Over Reservoir (Front) Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP (Rear) Method "Mesh" 17x8.5|6x5.50|0/4.75" wheels
    Bummer to see the thread I started, that eventually made it to a sticky thread, get removed. Hopefully this one turns into what the other one was!

Crikeymike, lynyrd3 and Badderup like this.
  20. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    Is @boogie3478 not allowed to reply in here or what?

BlackGT99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top