1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amber (yellow) fog lights illegal in mass?

Discussion in 'North East' started by Professor D, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Aug 6, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    AllTacosFloat

AllTacosFloat I need to be moderated

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Boston ish
    Vehicle:
    Has lockers and a skewp
    I don't think the cop was looking for an excuse... even in OPs pic the glare is blinding. If you like the lights that much use them for offroad but I'd fix it. The cop is sure to remember you and other cops don't like being flashed unless it's indecent exposure

2. Aug 6, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Show the cop my dick, sounds like a plan

Professor D[OP] and Gunshot-6A like this.
  3. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    In my Subaru days I recall someone posting that they were pulled over and given a ticket for having them on in non-inclement weather AND having a fog lamp bulb out. How's that for waking up on the wrong side of the bed that day?

The problem is that in MA all of these tickets end up a moving violation. In 2002 my friend got a ticket on his Civic for altered exhaust, altered ride height and altered equipment (clear corners). He ended up with a second altered exhaust ticket 4 years later and slid off the road in the winter on an unplowed road. He ended up in driver re-training to avoid losing his license.

To the original question, I've run yellow fog lamp bulbs in every vehicle I've owned with the exception of the Pro Rigid fogs I've got right now without issue. At one point I had Hella 500 yellow spots on the front of my STi.

4. Aug 7, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    JRVfromDVT

JRVfromDVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab
    Hyundai Accent. Admittedly don't drive it a lot so it may have a switch somewherw. But in the entire time my fiance and I have been together I've never seen the low beams on without the fogs.

I don't think there's really any situation where the extra output from properly aimed fogs is a bad thing.

5. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I keep my factory fogs and my running lights on all the time, never an issue yet.

My bar and PIAA lights I've had 3 different cops tell me 3 different things, so unfortunately it can come down to the officer's mood or need to justify their existence among other things

6. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I got pulled over years ago when I had yellow fogs on during a nice day. If they are white “driving lights” you can have them on. I run with my white OEM fogs on all the time on all my cars. If they are amber, they should only be on when it’s foggy. That’s what the cop said.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  7. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:29 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Serves them right. Hate morons running fogs in a clear weather. Don't get me started on Audi drivers and their rear fogs. This should be mandatory DL suspension.

8. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    Chris202OR

Chris202OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    How do you have your fogs on with running lights? It looks awesome!!!

9. Feb 2, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    It's nowhere near as bad as the people who run mini spot LED bars as foglights, or the people who run their high beams or only DRLs at night within the city.

10. Feb 2, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    I agree, no doubt, and the fog light misuse is low on the annoyance list. But it's U.S. driving public ignorance about lighting (and driving in general) that I hate. You can't teach the morons to even turn on the lights in inclement weather, or make them realize they go on DRLs at night. The stupid DRL standard (invented by GM) is partially to blame.

And what kills me when you try to tell the morons by flashing the highs or turning off/on your lows, 9 out of 10 still do not get a fucking clue.

I think MA cops pulling somebody for any light violation must be exceedingly rare. Cops here are more interested in doing road details, more then anything else. In most towns around Boston at least, it seems you can speed and do other stupid shit with relative impunity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  11. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    In Mass, i don't know anyone who's been pulled over for running fog lights in clear weather, but I've seen plenty get pulled over for too many lights, or simply changing the amber bulb to clear in the turn signals.

12. Sep 5, 2022 at 3:26 PM
    Northeast87

Northeast87 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Ok, I have 400 lumens spots on my hood up by my windshield (aka ditch lights). I have them facing forward and down a little bit as to not be in the face of oncoming traffic. It's raining, a little foggy but it's daylight, I was just stopped because the cop said ANY auxiliary lighting was illegal to use on the roadway. But when I looked it up it says I can use them in poor visibility situations such as rain... And with the law being that I have to have my lights on if my windshield wipers are on I figured it was safe to drive with them on. I passed 5 cops, no issue, got 1 miles from my house and was pulling out of a side street, cop passed in front of me going from left to right. I didn't think anything of it as I made a left hand turn onto the street... until I looked in my mirror and saw he was pulling a U-turn and speeding after me.
    He said ANY auxiliary lighting is illegal to use on the roadway day or night. Mind you these lights have saved my ass from people pulling out in front of me last second and crashing into me.
    Is it true I can't use them at all during rain, snow, fog?, or even as a highbeam at night?. Just sound ridiculous to me. 400 lumens is nothing, I have a flashlight brighter than these... he started giving me attitude until I pointed out my dashcam then he changed his tune and let me off with a verbal warning lol. (Love my dash cam, saves me everytime!)

13. Sep 5, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    HisDad

HisDad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Republic of Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Sounds like a pretext stop. If it was illegal, then he should have got a citation (even if it was a warning) citing the Chapter and Section of the law.

14. Sep 5, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I have been told both things by the local police in my town. Never been written a warning or citation so I cannot say what law the officers were referring to, unfortunately.

15. Sep 23, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    JRVfromDVT

JRVfromDVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab
    Yeah, that’s what I figured since he didn’t get a citation and if I remember correctly, the cop didn’t even tell him to turn them off.

If he was fishing, he picked the wrong car. I don’t think my uncle had ever been pulled over for anything before, let alone done anything illegal.

16. Oct 1, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    EFG

EFG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    factory lift kit, Stinger Off Road Stereo, Customized leather interior, Backflip X4S Tonneau,
    Legal or not I love these lights!
    I switched out the stock fog with these about a month ago and really really appreciate the added visibility and definition at night and bad weather.
    We’ve had a few rainy and foggy mornings and they perform amazingly in all those conditions.
    No one has flashed me or as far as I can tell been bothered by them.
    Even during the day I feel they make a great difference being seen…You wouldn’t think you needed that but traffic and people are crazy everywhere so it does help in my opinion.

74560BD0-3912-4113-ACFF-A6118C22F8C2.jpg

17. Oct 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    RockfishTaco

RockfishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Massachusetts

Pretty sure the law is you can't have lights above or between your actual headlights turned ON while driving which I assume is what he was trying to enforce.

Products Discussed in

To Top