1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ammo Availability thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by crazyengineer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    The demand will go down just as it did with centerfire ammunition. Not long ago .223 was hard to find and over $1/rnd., now I'm getting flyers and emails daily like they're trying to get rid of it and the price is dropping pretty fast. The same happened with every other popular caliber. Walmart almost never had .223 or 5.56 in stock, now my walmart has so much they have to constantly rearrange the shelves to store it.

Comparing cell phones to ammo is absurd. There aren't new phone manufacturers popping up regularly, just new phone models. Cell phones are advancing daily so as they move to manufacturing new models they stop making the old; they're not adding production lines, they're modifying them.

To start an ammunition manufacturing facility involves a lot of crap that doesn't exist for making phones or other products so a new company coming in is unlikely.

2. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    Does the shortage of ammo have anything to do with our government buying up so much ammo? Thought I read something about that just a month ago. Just curious....

3. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    We haven't had .22 here since 2012. Fuck paying skyrocketed price. Just buy a new gun in a caliber with available bullets and have fun.

4. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    That's very possible as ammo availability is regional and luck of the draw and I can only speak for Ca. and Az. I've seen mag. on the shelves somewhat regularly, more so in Az. A little over a year ago I was in Walmart in Az. and they had stacks of .22LR on the shelves. When I went again a few months later there was none. Another store I went into had a vast selection of .22 ammos but it was all oddball stuff and more $ than I wanted to spend. The stores are getting ammo in, you just gotta be first in line when they stock the shelf to get some of it.

5. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    jekbrown

jekbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Gray Tacoma Prerunner
    I'm sure demand will fluctuate but it's not going back to pre-2012 levels. Growing population + increasing numbers of shooters + increasing numbers of 22 rifles / pistols bring made all factor in. Even without a panic, supply capability should be growing over time because the market is growing all the time. That will likely continue to be the case until 22s are banned completely, direct energy weapons replace traditional ones, or there is a massive scale economic disaster.

I wasnt trying to make a direct comparison with phones. The point is that growing markets of consumer goods in high demand for a very long time are almost always met much more...aggressively in almost any other product one can think of. Whatever you want to compare ammo too doesn't really matter. The point is, when you have year after year after year of demand outstripping supply, you have an unresponsive market which is highly unusual presuming business people want to make money. The price to enter the market excuse only last so long. I mean, 50 years from now will we be making the exact same number of 22 round per day that we do now? 25 years? 10? If so, what other growing market works that way regardless of the cost to enter?

6. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Has .380 ever come back? That's another one. Smh

7. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    They buy a lot of ammo to use, but the majority is mil-spec ammo. A common theory is that the government is buying ammo up just to keep it out of the hands of civilians, I don't believe it. Even if the government was trying to disarm us by taking all the ammo there's no reason to go after the least lethal being .22LR. .22 was one of the last common calibers to dry up and it's now going to be the last to catch back up. All the other calibers are on the shelf and dropping in price. Even within .22 variants the same happened. First went away the most common high velocity copper plated in bulk boxes, then the more obscure. Now you can find the obscure much more easily than the bulk HV plated stuff. .22 short was one of the last to go away and I don't see it on the shelves yet even tho it's not a high use item. I assume some people resorted to it when nothing else was available and since it's low demand the manufacturers probably aren't gonna crank up production like they have with LR, if anything they'll make less short to make more LR. Shot shells got somewhat scarce but they're still around but they're useless other than for controlling for small pests at close range.

The same happened with magazines. Not long ago AR mags were ridiculous money and hard to get, the last few I bought were $7ea for stainless steel 30 rounders and there was a monstrous bin full of them. Did manufacturers stop making them? No. Was the military buying non-milspec mags? No.

I believe it's all hoarders and re-sellers. Look at youtube and you'll find lots of guys with tons of ammo and mags, now imagine how many thousands of similar people there are without public displays of it. The supply has saturated this group with centerfire, .22 will follow.

The same happened with guns, the shelves were mostly empty a couple years ago because people panic-bought everything up. Now the shelves are stuffed to the gills everywhere.

8. Jul 3, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:

My local walmart has a decent supply of .380. .25 has vanished everywhere and is even harder to find than .22.

9. Jul 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I tried finding .25 today and was shocked that it was gone. I'm gonna have to pick some up some time soon when I find it

10. Jul 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6
    When to Sportsman's Warehouse looking for some 22ammos couldn't find anys but got this 12g shotshells im ready for squirrel season.20150711_203005.jpg

11. Jul 16, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Academy in Austin (Brodie Lane) has a bunch of Remington .22LR 500-count for $25. Limit one per customer per day, while supplies last.

12. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM
    JLL2013SR5

JLL2013SR5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    lift, wheels, tires, nerf bars, dvd player for the kids.
    I hear that Walmart shelves are starting to show .22 LR ever since they removed ammo from their website. Now the hoarders can't see which stores have ammo in stock and have to get lucky like the rest of us. Rumor is the Midwest is fully stocked on .22 and its working its way to the coasts. Cabelas has some in stock but it is still a bit pricey. .308 .223 .45 and 9mm seem to be back to fully stocked at pre Obama pricing.

13. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
  14. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM
    jekbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    if this has gone into effect, it hasn't helped me out here in Vancouver, WA. I've been to Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas, and the two local WWs in the last week and WMs shelves were bare (of 22LR, they have everything else) every time. Cabelas and SW both had a small amount (less than 10 fifty round boxes) of uber-match grade stuff that cost a fortune. No plinker ammo or bulk packs. Meh! It's been almost 3 full years since the 22 ammo market went completely off the deep end and I'm MORE than ready for it to go back to normal. I know peeps in TX that say that 22LR is everywhere in large quantities. Lame. :confused: :mad:

15. Aug 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Got over 1500 rounds in my ammo can. Academy is chock full of 525-count Winchester packs. It's just not fun finding it in stock anymore.

16. Aug 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Found a crapton a few weeks ago. Bought the max I could (3bx). Haven't seen it since.

17. Aug 27, 2015 at 11:07 PM
    jekbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, you suck. ;) I have been 'living' off my supply of bulk packs from the 90s (ahhh, the days when 500 rounds were $6.99-9.99) ever since Sandyhook. I've managed to land 22 once during that entire time (almost 3 years now) at WM. I go to WM at least once per week and they NEVER have any. Even now when the shelves are over-flowing with other kinds of ammo, 22 is non-existent.

I'm glad that things are better in the middle of the country. That tells me that the 'end' of this 3 year nightmare is just around the corner. Once it's plentiful, prices will stay low and I'll stock up. Until then, I just have to wait some more. :(

CaptAmerica[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 29, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    Fox2011PM

Fox2011PM "The Mountains are calling"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    ADS 2.5" CO's w/adj, ADS 2.5" Rears w/ piggybacks, Firestone air bags and 1.5" AAL, SCS SR8s, Tom Woods custom one piece drive shaft....more to come
    Palmetto State Armory--- .22 LR rounds in stock at pretty decent prices, roughly $.08/round

19. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    jekbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Went to cabelas yesterday, they had 22 shotshells and nothing else. Me thinks Texas is hogging all the ammo!

20. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I found a store in AZ that has .22 LR, but I keeping to myself, if I tell you fool then there won't be any more for me when I need it.

Products Discussed in

To Top