1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AMP Bed Extender

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fireforeffect, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    jayr

jayr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Thats what I thought - bummer!

Thanks

2. Jun 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Blevrock

Blevrock Brandocetatops

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    AMP Research Bed X-Tender HD, DeeZee Bed Mat, Husky Liners, Hidden Hitch Reciever and tow harness, EGR window visors, Wet Okole seat covers, K&N air filter, American Tonneau cover
    I just installed my bed extender yesterday. I noticed that the middle support bars with the rubber tips seemed to install backwards on mine- with the hex bolts being on the outside rather than on the inside. Anyone else have this problem? I dont see whay it would matter, other than looks?

Its a cool product anyway. Not too bad of an install. Got it in black and put it on my 2012 access cab.

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    swap sides?

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    Blevrock

Blevrock Brandocetatops

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L 4x4 SR5
    AMP Research Bed X-Tender HD, DeeZee Bed Mat, Husky Liners, Hidden Hitch Reciever and tow harness, EGR window visors, Wet Okole seat covers, K&N air filter, American Tonneau cover

I flipped them. Fit better and looks better. Used it this weekend to keep a cooler from rolling around. Im happy with it.

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Seems I have spoken a little too soon. I just received an email that AMP has re-done the Moto. Coming very soon ...

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    jayr

jayr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice!!! Thanks for the heads up!

7. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
  8. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    jayr

jayr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    New style it looks like - is it available now? What is the part#?

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs

Here you go, he still has it for sale.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/225591-fs-amp-research-bed-extender.html

10. Aug 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Hey guys, sorry to keep beating this horse but I figured that I'd post a site that still seems to carry the old style of the moto extender. I think the older style is more utilitarian, I'm not sure why the new style of bed extenders (OEM, regular, and moto style) are getting pointier and creating less usable space. Maybe it's because they don't want people overloading their tailgates... it also seems that the new one uses less parts and may therefore be more robust ( or simply cheaper to manufacture).

Anyway, here it is on PTP:

http://performancetruckproducts.com/amp-research-moto-xtender-short-bed-black.html

Don't forget the Toyota specific inserts that clip into the tailgate! The ones supplied with the normal kit are too large. The listing on the site is poorly described as a Tundra part (and only has a picture of a bed extender), but I've cross-checked the part number and it seems to be the one we need.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/amp-research-bed-x-tender-strap-latch-kit-tundra.html

The price is great, plus free shipping! Also, enter the coupon code AMP11 for an additional 11% off the order! My total order came to $169.21.

I'm really, really crossing my fingers that this site is correctly updated and isn't a dead listing for a part they have no stock of. I will update this thread when I get confirmation of shipment, as well as making sure I receive the right part when it comes.

Cheers guys!
    -Tory

11. Aug 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    i use this one... im really happy with it. its very well made. it folds up and uses about 4" while its folded up on the inside of the tailgate. so when its not in use, you can still use the full length of your bed. and when you unfold it, theres no fussing with the tonneau cover. its stainless steal hardware is really nice. it adds about 15 pounds to the tailgate when its all folded up. also, it pulls off in seconds with two pins in case you ever want to remove it.

http://www.toplinemfg.com/html/tsv-truckbedexpander.html

12. Aug 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Update: the part is not in stock, ANYWHERE. ptp refunded my money. I called around everywhere that listed it on their website and not a single one has any in stock. The worst part was a sales site that told me their distributor had a few in stock; I eagerly ordered one only to get an email three days later saying

"Hello Torrance,
    Thank you for your order! We have gone back and forth with our distributor regarding the AMP Research Bed Extender that you have on order with us. We are not able to procure the models that you have requested, the item would be the 748XX series. We are trying to touch base with you to determine if you still want the order? Please advise."

Bummer!

On an upside, it sounds like AMP Research is getting sick of people like me asking about the old style extender. In an email reply,

"[FONT=&quot]Tory, we do offer the new HD version in a MotoXtender. I do not know what truck you have so I cannot give you a part#. We also are in the process of making the old style shape but with the new square tubing which makes a much stronger, easier to assemble and durable part. Check back with me in about 60 days and I should have something by then.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thanks,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]George Kohler[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Technical Support
    AMP RESEARCH[/FONT]
    "

So, hopefully should see something soon. Until I see a new one listed, it's back to scouring craigslist for me.
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

13. Sep 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Optimus812

Optimus812 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB Off Road
    I'm in the same situation, just bought the extender from toyota and the new style does not fit my quad! The old style will fit perfectly... I hope they re-release the old style extender soon! Can't find it anywhere.

Dave

14. Sep 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Luckily, I found a silver one in my area listed on Craigslist for $100, NIB. Scored!

I'm very happy with it, so keep looking for one. It'll be interesting to see AMP's new offering though.

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    MobileMike

MobileMike Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top