1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AMP Power Step Running Boards

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjrmurph, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    mrremax

mrremax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Toledo
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX/PRO
    I have a 2012 Tacoma and had the AMP boards put on as soon as I got it.
    A BIG disappointment!
    Even though I keep my truck in the garage and "baby" it, these boards just don't work.
    They will not retract back up in cold weather.
    I have taken them back to the installer 4 times.
    Called AMP Research multiple times - they are nice but keep wanting to blame it on the weather, dirt, not enough silicone spray etc...
    I am through with these things.
    Get anything else - I am.

2. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    That is a bummer. This is my second set, I had one on my '08 Tundra and now have them on my '13 Taco. It was one of the first upgrades/mods I did on my truck. They have never failed me yet. I bought the set for my '08 Tundra on a forum. They were brand new in the box, and had not been installed but upon going to install them I realized that the steps were too short (they were for a Double Cab, not Crew Max, they used to make two sizes). I called AMP and spoke with someone in their customer support (I wish I had a name for you, the guys was awesome) that offered to trade out the boards for me for free. I ended up making the 2 1/2 hour drive to amp and they not only changed out the steps, but gave me an upgraded harness and some other upgraded parts all for FREE. Keep in mind, I bought these 2nd hand and the AMP guy knew that!
    Anyway, I am not familiar with how they run in cold weather as I live in a pretty mild climate. Have you determined whether the problem is mechanical or maybe with the control module? I would not give up, but totally understand your frustration. Good luck either way.
    Ken

3. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    The price of this set of running boards would dry up my bank account :( :( .

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    mrremax

mrremax New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Toledo
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX/PRO
    Thanks Ken. Yes, I have tried everything. And it is a big bummer because I like the way they look and how easy they make it for my wife and dog to get into the truck.
    I spent 30k on the truck and then another 6k on cap, bedliner, air horn, weathertech mats, seat covers and $1600 for the AMP Boards. They are not cheap, but they are marketed very well with their "Limited Warranty" so I thought I was covered.
    The warranty excludes labor. You have to call AMP Research to file any claims. They decide any remedies and have full control. They are nice but keep saying the same thing: "the boards are very sensitive" and " the linkages and motor can have tolerance changes in varying temperatures" "clean it and spray it with silicone" "remove them and switch sides and see what happens" "remove and re-torque". It goes on and on, but not once did they offer to take them back or replace them with a new set even when I asked directly.
    I spoke top Ray at AMP yesterday and he said to ask your installer if they would try to return them to "wherever they bought them" and have that vender then try to return them to AMP Research. So, I called my installer and he is going to talk to his boss about how to go about returning them. I am waiting.
    In the meantime, I have to be very careful driving with the board in the down and extended position because if I hit a curb, snow drift or entrance ramp, I'll really have a problem with a bent board.
    I am thinking about what kind of running boards I can replace them with that look good and come down enough to allow the wife and dog to get a step.
    I will update when I hear something from the installer.

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Man that is really a bummer. If the ramps are "trying" to extend/retract when the doors open/shut, then I would assume it is a mechanical issue. From what I have seen when I installed them, the tolerances are not that close, at least not for the external gear. The installer should be good enough to isolate the problem to a mechanical or electrical failure and be able to trouble shoot from there with the help of AMP. A good stereo installer might be a good place to try for a second opinion.
    I did find the guy at AMPs name: It is Brion. I would try calling and asking for him. Let him know that you read a link on Tundra Solutions recommending him, and maybe he will help you out. Like I said he was a really nice guy and super understanding.
    Hope this works out for you whatever you decide to do.
    Ken

6. May 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    jakeee1717

jakeee1717 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Buford, GA
    Vehicle:
    Everything stock PreRunner
    I have 2 12' kicker subs and a 2400w amp behind my back seats that hit really hard! and i have a 6.95' touch screen kenwood radio
    where did you purchases your running board from? i am looking to get some my self and i just dont want to get ripped off

7. May 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I got mine from ThePowerShop.com. Can't remember what I paid, but know I did a LOT of research on price and they had the best deal at the time.
    On a side note, I did start having a problem with the passenger side running board. It would extend all the way, but made a "thud" when it retracted. I tried using silicone spray and it didn't help. Everything is clean, no obstructions, bolts are tight, it is like it just came out of alignment or something and the last inch or so on the rear hinge retraction was binding somehow making it "pop" into place.
    I called AMP Tech support several times, no answer. Left a message at about 11:30AM on Friday (they are in the same time zone as me) and still have not heard back. I spent HOURS trying to re-align the steps and finally after a LOT of trial and error, found that it worked better when I installed a shim on the top rear hinge and the bottom front hinge. Now it is retracting quietly, but still looks like it might be binding just a tad in the rear.
    I did notice also on the AMP web site that they are now associated with Lund. I don't know if Lund bought AMP out or what happened, but that could explain the sudden drop off in Tech Support. I am not a fan of Lund products, and I know when I bought my first set of Power Steps for my '08 Tundra I could get Tech Support on the phone EVERY TIME I called.
    Anyway, just wanted to post this experience. I do still love the steps, but am disappointed in the support from AMP, especially for their flagship product and the fact that it is so pricey.
    Ken

8. May 31, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    dennisn

dennisn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Electric up and down running boards, flat bed cap
    I have the Amp step. The best of the best. My wife is 5' 1". No problem in or out with Amp. Truck came with factory runners. No good.

9. Jun 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Oh I agree, don't get me wrong, I have always backed AMP products. Their stuff is typically built to last, and a few years back they helped me out tremendously and had GREAT customer service, but more recently, I am starting to wonder about the service part.
    Ken

10. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Jayne

Jayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4x4
    These came on my 2011 that I recently purchased. The passenger side wouldn't close all the way, and the dealer fixed it saying it needed a bit of lube.

After the snow and mud last night, the driver side won't fold in now. Does anyone know the best way to fix this? Maybe a pressure washer at the hinges? It's stuck down and I worry about driving around like this.

thanks

11. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Jayne

Jayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4x4
    Update, the motors are filled with mud and the gears have stripped off.. They are coming off the truck and now I need to find some stock or aftermarket steps. This is lame!

12. Jan 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    flsupraguy

flsupraguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if these are mounted outside enough to prevent door dings in the "up" position?

13. Jan 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    No, these will not protect your truck against door dings.

14. Mar 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM
    TxStVanWilder

TxStVanWilder The Pale Horse

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Seems like everyone was happy with these in the beginning but things have gone down hill.... Anyone buy some recently? I am really hoping the quality of these are still great, I would love to get rid of my stock steps and go this route.

image.jpg

15. Mar 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    TxStVanWilder

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    FWIW for anyone looking for these just found $100 off on auto anything and 20% products over $150. So looks like some pretty good savings if you can stack the deals.

image.jpg

16. Mar 17, 2016 at 5:20 AM
    505_BajaYota

505_BajaYota Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja DCSB
    Just took a set off my truck yesterday and replaced them with All Pro Apex sliders. The AMP steps came on the truck and had about 30K on them when i bought it. They worked great for what they were and made washing the roof of the truck a breeze. Like others have stated though, they are not meant for offeroad, and personally just didn't fit my style. I did have to adjust the steps several times after snowy trips to get them to align again, but overall not a bad product for what it is.

Mine will be up on the FS board soon, Im sure someone could use these suckers haha

TxStVanWilder likes this.
  17. Mar 17, 2016 at 11:12 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    How did you remove them?
    As I understand you need to take off every door panel to intall/uninstall them.

18. Mar 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    505_BajaYota

505_BajaYota Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja DCSB
    They are super simple to remove, no need to remove any door panels. The only thing I had to remove, was the front kick panels, and lower plastic door (panel?) The wires to control the steps are spliced into 2 wires on each side of the truck, one controlling the door ajar light and the other controlling the overhead light. Wires are ran through factor rubber grommets under the carpet and connect to the motors. Overall id say the whole install would take 2-3 hours, the hardest part being adjusting the steps to open/close evenly.

IMG_0089.jpg

19. Mar 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    TxStVanWilder

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    PM me when you're ready to sell.

20. Oct 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM
    AdventurousTurtle

AdventurousTurtle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    2 inch leveling kit
    If anyone still wants a set of these, pm me! Just bought a truck with them installed - but since I plan on putting some sliders on, I'll be parting ways with mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top