1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

An Alternative Flat Tailgate "Liner"

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Jackie Moon, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:17 AM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    I've seen a few drinks spilled while tailgating, I'm sure we all have. I also didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a flat tailgate liner to solve the problem because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the price.

So here ya go, don't say I never did nuthin' for ya. The total cost was roughly $25 and 15min of effort, links below for what I used.

My local restaurant supply store doesn't require an industry account to shop there, so I do! In general, it's the best place to get good stuff for your kitchen. I got a 15x20x1/2" polyethylene prep board:
    https://restaurantequipment.com/collections/cutting-boards?uff_jipwdb_vendor=WINCO

Rubber bumpers from Home Depot:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-Heavy-Duty-Anti-Skid-Surface-Pads-4-Pack-49644/203661092

Since the provided screws were too long I also picked up a 5-pack of #8 x 1/2" stainless pan head phillips screws from the sheet metal section (~$1.28), and the smallest pack of #8 split ring lock washers (~$1.28) to choke up the length of the screws a bit more (and I guess, to lock them in...)

I dropped the bumpers into the slots to measure the layout such that it wouldn't wiggle, and taped the depth on the bit to not drill all the way through. The screws bit and held nicely, but we'll see how it holds up. This is more than enough surface area for me and a tailgate's worth of folks to have a place to set their beers. Since it's a prep board, it's good for food at the tailgate or campsite as well. I just flip it over and leave it in the bed when not in use. Enjoy!

photogr4x4 and doublethebass like this.
  2. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    great idea. I'm gonna give it a go when the weather warms up.

3. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:52 AM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    Genius lol, I don't use my tailgate enough to warrant anything over $25 either... but what if this is just a slippery slope into tailgate use? o_O

doublethebass likes this.
  4. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    So the board is just left in the bed? That sorta bugs me, but good idea! (And I have a flat aluminum replacement)

Jackie Moon[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 17, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    Jackie Moon

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    I never said I wasn't a gateway drug dealer...

Yeah I leave it in the bed, it doesn't seem to get in the way yet. I go to hockey games pretty often so it doesn't make sense for me to potentially leave it at home. Plus, I live in a small house and don't need any more clutter. There are tons of ways to achieve this kind of thing with whatever material folks might have around or have access to, I'm not bothered if it ain't right for you! Cheers!

photogr4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    No worries. I have space. I was thinking of all the shit........bird, pig, cow, etc around here if used for food AND it bouncing or flying out or growing legs (probably wouldn't but.....).........just as points of discussion, not hucking rocks at you! :thumbsup::rofl::fistbump:

7. Jan 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    Jackie Moon

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    Haha yeah if its going to be used for food, it should be cleaned first! I also forgot to mention I have a tonneau cover so the worst it will get is the dust on the bed mat! No growing legs or bouncing out in my case. :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Pablo8[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top