1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

another "help me decide on tires" thread

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dc22ap1, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sep 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    dc22ap1

dc22ap1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    jacksonville,fl
    Vehicle:
    05 dcsb trd sport
    I realize these threads have been beat to death but I haven't had luck finding the results that I am searching for.
    I have a 2005 double cab trd sport that I am planning on replacing the 17" sport wheels with the 16" anthracite fj wheels (if I can find a place with them in stock). I am fine with running stock tire sizes. I do a lot of highway driving as this is my daily driver and never go offroading so I don't need any crazy off road type tire. My main concern is I will be occasionally towing my car to the track (3+ hour drive) starting in the fall so I need a tire that is good with towing. The trailer will either be a uhaul trailer or a friend's trailer- neither have any extra brakes or anything special on them to lessen the load on the truck. The load (car, trailer, tools and spare tires) should be around 4-5k lbs. I prefer tires with a lower treadwear rating, preferably around 400. I would rather replace tires more often than have to deal with losing traction.
    Thank you for any advise or recommendations.

2. Sep 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    how do you like the current tires you have now? there seem to be no need for AT or MT tires, but if you like your current tires, just order the appropriate size for the new wheels.

3. Sep 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    dc22ap1

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    jacksonville,fl
    Vehicle:
    05 dcsb trd sport
    the current tires I have are horrible. I think they are maxis tires. They have really horrible wet weather handling and squeal every time I take a corner.

4. Sep 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    SCSPerformance

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    one of the best all-season tires out there is Michelin - LTX® M/S2. they're not cheap, but it's a great tire. it quiet, handles decent for a all season tire, rides smooth, and they last pretty long.

almost any set of michelins you pick out will be a great tire. they're a higher quality name, but the price comes with it. go onto tirerack.com, find something in your budget and read the reviews, they're very helpful. for your intended use, i recommend you stick with an all-season tire.

5. Sep 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    dc22ap1

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    jacksonville,fl
    Vehicle:
    05 dcsb trd sport
    The Michelin LTX M/S2 seems like a good tire- the reviews say they handle well in the wet and dry but I have a hard time believing that a tire with a treadwear rating of 720 can have any form of decent dry weather handling. That is equivalent to riding on plastic lol. There have been a couple people in those reviews to say they are horrible tires that are unpredictable when it comes to handling. With the reviews from tire sites I do not know the people's driving styles so it is hard to gauge what to believe and what not too. If they are the type of people that take off ramps at 25mph than of course they will never know how a specific tire handles.
    My current tires are Maxxis 760 Bravo H/T with a 540 AB treadwear.

6. Sep 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    I have the ms2 michelin tires on right now and have put about 40k on em and have tons of tread left I can proly get 70k on em, handling wise dry are amazing, taking corners with no problem
    In the rain they're really good, as long as you don't drive stupid you'll never loose traction in these they drive just as good in wet conditions as dry
    Only thing to complain is price is high but you get what you pay for. Hope this helps!
    Oh and towing with them with the added weight They drive good, drive right and you'll be fine

7. Sep 17, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    SCSPerformance

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    i recommended those michelins b/c my brother has gone through 2 sets on his '02 taco 2.7L. he's an aggressive driver and extremely picky when it comes to tires. the treadwear would indicate a hard tire compound, but they do actually handle well on wet and dry. it's a truck with sloppy suspension so it's not going to win cornering wars, but it's probably one of the best all season tire out there for a light truck.

my brother has gotten close to 75-80k miles on each set with regular rotating. his taco is going on 248k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top