1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Laptop advice thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rcchris, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Apr 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    rcchris

rcchris [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '12 v6 4wd access cab auto black
    I am looking for some advice on a laptop. I am not that tech savvy and cannot build my own laptop that's for sure. I have been researching as best I can, and seem to be more overwhelmed with all the options that are out there. So basically I am looking for a laptop to replace my old desktop. I am not into gaming, and not really looking at apple products either. What I want it mostly for is for basic Internet duties, some photo/video editing and multi-media stuff. And the woman will be using for some light work stuff, basically Microsoft office stuff.
    So I guess what I find confusing is, what specs i need for this stuff, while having something that will last me a few years, without becoming slow as hell after only a little bit.
    I am looking for a 15" screen, as that seems big enough to me. I wouldn't say it has to be very portable, wouldn't be lugging anywhere other than in the house really. After all my research, I think I would rather a 7600rpm Hdd over a 5400. Now I know SSD's are better, but expensive for the size differential of Hdd.

This laptop is about the top I would want to spend on one, any thoughts on this one? Is it overkill for what I need?
    Edit, got link to work.
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...p?EdpNo=9545225&SRCCODE=MDOTCA&MobileOptOut=1

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Apr 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    snowbrdd

snowbrdd Well-Known Member

Member:
    One question, what is your budget? You have a goal of what you want but I didn't see a mention of budget. Also I'm going to assume you're in Canada so we have to assume it is on those prices from Canadian retailers. (Newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, ncix etc.)

3. Apr 28, 2015 at 5:37 PM
    rcchris

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    My upper limit I am willing to spend is about $1200 cdn. I could probably go a bit higher, but prefer not too, lol.

4. Apr 28, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    Do you want the laptop to be ultrabook thin? Touchscreen or non touchscreen?

5. Apr 28, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    That's one nice computer, and way overkill for your needs. But if you buy it you'll be set for a number of years. I just bought a laptop for my dad and his needs are like yours. I got him an HP elite book, with an i5 processor, 8 gig of RAM, and 1 TB hard drive.

Truth be told with needs like yours just about any name brand computer will be just fine. An Intel i5, 8 to 12 gig of RAM, 1 TB give or take for hard drive, a touch screen if you'd like (I personally hate them, but that's me), and the rest IMHO is just whistles and bells. Since this is a truck forum I'll use a truck analogy to compare what you need vs what you can buy. You need a 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder Tacoma with an AM radio. But all you can buy is a 10wd semi truck, with a 18 cylinder Diesel engine, and a 3,000 watt surround sound home entertainment system. And, all of that will fit in your garage and get 70 mpg too. So while it is easy to get overwhelmed by the techno mumbo jumbo, it is hard to go wrong with your needs.

6. Apr 28, 2015 at 10:28 PM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    As for SSD vs hard drive, how much space do you think you will actually use? An SSD will not only be significantly quicker, it will use less power than a 5400 RPM drive, and significantly less power than a 7200 RPM one, allowing you to get better battery life. If you need hard drive space for some storage purposes, get an external hard drive. A decent compromise is using the Western Digital Black2 drives, but I don't think any laptop comes standard with those.

7. Apr 29, 2015 at 5:19 AM
    rcchris

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Great analogy Jsi. And snowbrdd, I will take your advice into consideration as well. I feel more confident in whatever decision I make now.

Products Discussed in

To Top