1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another out of control Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shades_Of_Red, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Nov 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I find it "interesting" that we own an '09 Tacoma and an '07 Camry - both vehicles affected by this issue - and we've heard absolutely NOTHING directly from Toyota about. If I didn't read this forum and Autoblog.com, or happened to catch a blurb about it on the news, I wouldn't know anything about it.

On the other hand... I know how to install my freakin' floor mats, so I don't have a problem anyway.

2. Nov 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

The standard position, the guy had it in sport shift (read post #43). The standard position is the center gate with 'D' and 'N' only.

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I THINK the toyota manual says to press the brakes, put the car in neutral and then apply the e-brake. Thats what I would do if i was in that kind of situation.

4. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never been in any accident before. I don't really plan on being in one. And yes I have a very good idea how fast things can happen if your not paying attention, I am a class 1 truck driver and have seen a good many absolutely stupid things people do behind the wheel. If your paying the proper attention to the task at hand, nothing will happen as fast as you think, its only when your attention is diverted, or your not concentrating on the road that shit happens fast. The 4 people who were killed in the Lexus drove for miles with the accelerator "stuck" before crashing into something. Another lady had time to dial 911 and ask for help while she was ripping down the highway, you can't tell me if you've got time to dial 911 that it all happened so fast. People panic, freak out, and loose all common sense.

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    AH! Thanks. Well....regardless....One could see how a mistake could happen.

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yeah...to panic and freak-out is totally normal reaction. Fight or flight....

The passengers of that Lexus had plenty of time to call 911. The driver did not. It's bad enough that people talk on the phone while driving normally - I would hope the driver wouldn't be on the phone while trying to drive a vehicle going 100mph+

People aren't educated enough about their vehicles....most people wouldn't know what to do in emergency situations like this ......cars aren't supposed to accelerate themselves!!! We pay big money for our vehicles and they should work and work safely.....

Besides that, if you read the stories about the Lexus accident... it's not as simple as people think. The car has a push button start which requires to hold it for 3 seconds to shut it off (while probably locking the steering wheel - not a good idea in a car at WOT). The shift gates can be confusing to get it into neutral. Braking might not work due to vacuum loss in WOT...etc etc etc.

I'm simply saying.... people rave about how stupid these people were in this situation but yet, most people have never been in a life or death situation. Your brain doesn't work that fast and most things happen faster than you can react to them.

7. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Right. This does not appear to be a major problem and I still don't believe that there's a thing wrong with these vehicles. One isolated incident and everyone is scared shitless.

I'm curious...should every Bugatti Veyron owner now be concerned about their floor mats too: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...distracted-by-bird-drives-bugatti-into-marsh/

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Only if there is a Pelican on a cell phone driving.:D

9. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I just recieved a letter today from Toyota about this. It talked about what to do in a emergency situation (pull back mat if possible, or step on brakes with both feet...DO NOT PUMP, shift into neutral. If unable to put into neutral...turn engine off or to acc position. Do not remove key as this will lock steering wheel.) They explained the proper way to install a floor mat, and said they will advice in a seperate letter when a campaign remedy will be available.
    This whole thing amazes me. Even my owners manual from back in 2007 says how to properly install the floor mats, and goes on to say if improperly installed could cause problems getting caught up under the gas pedal... what ever happened to common sense?

10. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Same here. Received one for our 2009 Camry and 2010 Tacoma.

11. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The majority of people can't read their owners manual to find out their oil change interval, spark plug replacement interval, or how to change a blown headlight bulb, etc. If they are in NEED of this information and still neglect to consult the manual, I highly doubt they will absorb the info regarding sudden acceleration or floor mat installation.

No offense to those inquiring, but there must have been at least 3 - 4 threads started this week alone asking when spark plugs need to be changed - AND to add further insult to injury, it isn't uncommon for others to post incorrect information trying to help.:frusty:

12. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    My hope for the holidays is that they figure out the problem, either the cars, or catch an idiot driver purely screwed up and blaming a toyota because of "everyone heard of it so it must be true".
    ...and let there be no more thread retreads.

13. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Do you prefer dino or synthetic?

14. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Dunno , lets start a thread on it...:p

15. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    +9999 :thumbsup:

On a side note, I still don't understand the whole floor mat issue. I have crappy old Pep Boys all weather floor mats on top of my Toyota summer (the stock soft) mats and have never had any issue. They often slide up toward the pedals and I pull it back every now and then but it has never caused any interference even then. If anything I would think it would prevent the pedal from going any FURTHER rather than holding it down somehow.

Anyhow.. 5-speed manual ftw... push in clutch. :p

16. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

^^^^^ this guy has the right idea.

+1 Rep

17. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    Its becoming a multi-tool of excuses, speeding? tell an officer its a toyota it happens.... caught on a cell phone? Tell the officer you had to call in your toyota.

See we all benefit from this. Why should I have to pull my cramped foot from a throttle ,or push in a pesky clutch when I can blame Toyota. And besides if it persisit Obama will buy them all back ....."cash for Toyotas"

18. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    Lawyers. :mad:

19. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    Somebody actually happened to catch that crash on video - and SURPRISE... there was no pelican to be seen. I think the guy was distracted (texting or whatever) and simply ran off the side of the road. I hope his insurance company sees it and denies his claim.

Check it out HERE

20. Nov 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I heard that it's a computer problem. The accelerator pedal no longer works by cable, that's old school, now they call it drive by wire, the computer controls it and the computer is f-ing up. I can't remember they reason, but bottom line it's not the mat.

Products Discussed in

To Top