1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Suspension Clunk Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MikeyMcFly, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Dec 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly [OP] This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Hi all,

With the weather going cold in the Northeast I've noticed a new clunk in my truck, so I've been working through diagnosing / troubleshooting it and wanted some additional input.

Symptoms:

First thing in the morning if I hit a bump straight on with bolt wheels I get a clunk. It's similar to a dead strut feel, or a binding, but very subtle. I feel it most right underneath my feet on the driver's side. If I hit a bump on either wheel it sounds 100% normal, or if I hit a bump straight on at speed it's less noticeable. Sometimes it will do it multiple times down a bumpy road, sometimes it's not. The intermittent nature is tough. I will note the colder the day, the more noticeable it is. It was a bit warmer today, so the clunking was a bit less noticeable.

My truck:

- 2G TRD Pro front suspension, no top plate spacers
    - 2G TRD Pro rear shocks
    - Headstrong Off-Road 3-leaf AAL
    - TRD Pro Skid Plate

Everything was installed and torqued to FSM specifications with the exception of the sway bar mounts and the three (3) top strut nuts which I snugged down as tight as I could reasonably do without getting a torque wrench in there. In addition, the rear TRD Pro skid plate bolts were not torqued to specification but to 22 ft-lbs as members on here reported torquing the rear bolts to specification resulted in breaking the captive nut in the frame off the weld.

Diagnosing thus far:

- Checked torque on nuts on the alignment cam bolts. With my torque wrench at 100 ft-lbs, it clicked
    - No interference between shock or coil and sway bar
    - Front uprights were factory assembled, but I verified the rubber isolator was in place
    - I verified the sway bar mounts were tight to the frame and the (3) nuts on top of the uprights were tight.
    - I rechecked the skid plate bolts

Areas I should investigate further
    - I have not done the LCA bolt on the upright, although it was torqued to FSM settings during install.
    - I have not removed wheels to look around.
    - I have not looked at body mounts

I had a similar issue with my 2013 prior to doing any suspension work and the dealer had it for 3-4 days and eventually retorqued every bolt on the truck and it went away, but my suspicions there was that I had an alignment done and the cam bolts weren't tight. Thus that was my first stop in diagnosing.

I've read a lot about the body mounts, but I haven't really torn into that yet, but feeling it on the bottom of the cab makes me wonder. I need to take a look at how to better diagnose those.

With that being said, outside of assuming it's the shocks not liking the cold weather, where else should I look? Members on here that have had issues in the past seemed to have problems with the factory suspension, but given that it's not the OEM 3G stuff, I can't compare apples to apples.

2. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    noexcuse4you

noexcuse4you Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM
    Mine does the same thing when I hit this one dip coming out of my neighborhood where my suspension nearly bottoms. It sounds more of like “click” than a clunk. I have a 2017 with the 2nd gen pro suspension. I retorqued everything and it’s still there. I think it’s the shock valving.

3. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    SpeySquatch

SpeySquatch Function over Form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    C4Fab LoPro, BAMF Sliders, Ext ADS 2.5’s, 4.88's, OVTune (OG to KDMax)
    I have a clinch as well when turning into my driveway over the curb entrance when the rear suspension articulated. Sounds like shock related like it is topping out, or something else. Metallic in nature and definitely not the rear diff. I’m clueless after checking everything meticulously

4. Dec 14, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Trucks with suspension make noise, as in not silent

5. Dec 14, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Did yours come on when temps dropped? I have probably put 4,000 to 5,000 miles on mine when it appeared.

Hmm, maybe it’s worth giving the rear suspension a once over. It feels in the front but I had an issue with the last truck I swore was in the front and it was actually in back.

Sure, but this didn’t exist and then did. My 2013 was lifted and didn’t make this sound. Something has changed and I’m trying to run down the source.

While I know I likely can live with it, it’s going to eat at me until I figure out why it’s happening.

6. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    I have a clunk when I pull out of my parking space and turn the wheel. Pull out left or right and still get a clunk. Had it at the service dept. for 2 hours and they could hear it but could not pin point where it was coming from.

7. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    noexcuse4you

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM
    Yep. 5k miles and when the temps dropped. It typically only does it once before it warms up. After the shock cycles and warms up, it takes a bit more speed on that dip to make it make that noise.

8. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Hmm. That makes it seem like it's a function of the suspension itself and not necessarily something wrong. I can at least live with that compared to the alternative.

9. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    SlappyMcSlapnuts

SlappyMcSlapnuts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2019 turd
    Curb feelers
    Mine clunks when rolling to a stop. Feels like a dead body is being dropped in the bed.

10. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    noexcuse4you

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM
    Yeah mine does that too, but that’s a different problem, but considered “normal.” There’s a thread on that somewhere.

11. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:56 PM
    SpeySquatch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    It’s definitly the rear. The only thing I think it could be is my rear OME shocks, the leafs slapping the holding brackets, or for some weird reason the shackles are popping. Only happens while turning moving while there is body roll.

I suppose it could be the rear body mounts, but I’ve tightened those and it sounds like metal on metal when it clunks

12. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    SpeySquatch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Not like this they don’t. First Tacoma that’s ever done this noise to me. New shocks in the mail. After I put those on we will see. You can only really deduce the problem one point at a time...right?

13. Dec 14, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    Mad Mark

Mad Mark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD 4x4 off-road
    Mine clunks really bad under 20mph going straight slowing down for a stop sign or something. Squeaks too. Mine sounds like passenger side front. I noticed it last about a week after off-roading and when it’s cold out but ends up going away?

I also check some stuff but can’t think of what it could be. I figure the squeaking is dust but the clunking is really bad sounding.

14. Dec 15, 2018 at 12:10 AM
    QuicksandTaco

QuicksandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD Pro 6spd
    URD short shifter, 285/75/16,
    Mine had a clunk in the floor board ish area and it only happened below 30 degrees. It was a body mount.

Products Discussed in

To Top