1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another TSB story...like we haven't heard this before!~

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JMan551, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Jetta1cab

Jetta1cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100s @ 0 with OME885x coils. Toyota Rear TSB. Billet grill inserts.
    I would definitely call Toyota's 800-line and get a case # from a representative there. I called my local dealership once with my complaint initially and they said they knew nothing about rear suspension issues. I didn't waste my time so I called the 800-line next.

Tell them your truck is "bottoming-out" with any load in the rear and that you're not satisfied with how it tows and carries cargo. I told the rep that I heard there was a service bulletin for this problem. Have your VIN and mileage ready for the rep on the phone. She confirmed a TSB existed for my Tacoma and I was given a case # and the next day the local dealership called me to schedule my service appointment. The next day after that my truck was at the dealership and had the TSB performed first thing in the morning.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    UPDATE: For those of you who might follow this, I have an update about what happened before, and then what happened after I got the springs.

I had my appointment on Tuesday for a 'senior level technician' to look at my truck. I show up in the morning with a coworker to take me back to the office. I wait around for my service rep (the guy who sold me the truck, apparently now works in service) to come over to his desk so he can do the check in and he takes about 10 mins to get there. Meanwhile my coworker and I are missing work while he's BSin with the other service guys. He finally comes over to me, he can't figure out the paperwork about which vehicles are covered, gets confused and can't figure out why my TRD truck is listed on a piece of paper for non-TRD vehicles. Had he been looking in the TRD section of the paper (one paragraph above) he would have seen my VIN# listed, but he did manage to find my VIN# at the top of the page in the summary of all applicable VIN#s. We argue about how and why and why not and he tries to tell me that I should expect my Tacoma to drive differently when I have a load in the back. Finally he tells me that he would expect the truck to be slammed if he had loaded his Harley into the back, to which I argued I wasn't loading any motorcycles. He then countered with an argument that a bed with 800lbs of dirt is almost like having a Harley in the back, except dirt is more compact so it would probably be heavier...ya, you read that correctly. I very badly wanted to go along with his reasoning and tell him that I was lucky I wasn't trying to carry around 800lbs of lead, lead being even more compact than dirt I would have been really screwed. Sorry for the ramble...after wasting another 10mins of my time he decides to go out and look at my truck himself. We discuss how I will come back at 4 to pick up my vehicle, to which he offers for me to go ahead and just take the vehicle now. I had to double take, he told me to just drive off now because he'll go ahead and order up some parts and get everything rolling for me. It was a confusing moment, YAY I get my springs followed by 'thanks for wasting even more of my time and BSing to me on top of it.'

IF you are still reading, here is the BEST part. The parts came in yesterday, I made my appointment for today. I drop off my vehicle this morning, and picked it up right after work. Having gotten a bunch of shit about 'becoming a farmer' from my service rep, I tell him I am on my way to load the truck up with furniture for my friend and travel about 70miles to deliver it, just to rub it in that I am actually using my truck as a truck. I drive off and notice that there is a metal to metal sound, almost a clunk, when I go over bumps. I chalk it up to some spring settling and get my truck loaded up. On the way to the freeway I got a nervous feeling and pulled over to check out the rear springs. I start checking the driver's side equipment, and when I put my hand on the bolt that holds the rear shock to the frame the nut is loose to the touch. I then notice it has almost worked itself off the bolt. I called the service center and all the techs had gone home for the day. Mr. service rep says he'll try and send someone over to me (across town) to tighten my bolt. Before he hangs up he asks me what size the bolt is...to which I reply 'why don't you check your service manuals!'

Now I get to take my truck BACK into the dealer tomorrow and make them double check all of their 'hard' work!

Thank you for listening to my long drawn out story...I'm just really worked up. I will post a shorter version in a new post, I think this is worth letting others know about.

JER

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    I was told at my original dealership that my truck wasn't included in the tsb at 20 something thousand miles. Moved to Texas, had 38000 miles, went to new dealership, told me I was eligible, but was over 36K warranty so no tsb

Glad you got your springs. Hopefully they will get it done right when you take it back

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    You need to find a new dealership... lol. Wow... I got mad just reading that.

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    I agree...too bad the next closest dealership is 40mins south. I plan on making a couple of calls to some people on Monday. I want to see if they will try and win my business back.

JER

6. Apr 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    booodude

booodude New Member

Member:
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma
    After 21000 miles on my 2010 tacoma reg cab, i was noticing a vibration coming from the front of the truck. I took it into the dealership and they replaced a spring assembly kit and a transmission mount. They told me that the spring assembly kit correlated with the trans mount issues. After 4 visits to the dealership I finally had all the new parts put on my truck. Immediately I noticed a difference in the rear suspension after I went over a speed bump. It felt like the whole bed was hitting the street. The old suspension was smoother and tighter. This didnt make sense to me. How can a new part make my truck perform worse, not to mention the vibration was worse. I didnt want to go through the same experience I just had with customer service so I put it off a month before I brought it back in. I stated my case and they said that there was excessive damage to the bump stops and leaf spring needs replaced due from overloading the cab. They said that I wasnt covered on my 25000 mile warranty because of owner error. I hauled a yard of topsoil once since the new parts were put in. Drove only 5 miles on the highway with the load. Could I have blown out the leaf springs on this haul? The truck functions worse then it did before they put the new parts on. I want my old truck back. Any comments?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  7. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Canadiandad

Canadiandad Active Member

Member:
    I would call the service manager and explain the way you were treated and the runaround you got from this idiot service rep and then the VERY poor and unsafe service work you received (almost a lawsuit waiting to happen there!!!)

You might well be on your way to getting this service rep fired for the SECOND time due to his actions! He would deserve it in my opinion.

8. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Joedirt1

Joedirt1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wj
    State college
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Can someone just clarify the rear springs and the tsb for me. My 2012 sport has 4 springs, the 3 in the main spring and the short one on the bottom.

Do I already have the springs people get with the upgraded tsb?

Thanks and sorry for a newby question.

9. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    yes

10. Apr 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    stories like this is why I try to fix problems myself even if under warranty. my Tacoma is a 2005 and I had the same problem, only there was not TSB till after I ended putting a Toytec 3" lift with aal to address the weak springs. probably do not want to hear it, but the hassle you went through I would have fixed myself. you have the same luck I have. take into the dealer and they screw something else up or don't fix the problem and you have to keep going back. I had a brand new car I took in for warranty work and they hit a metal post where they parked on the lot and denied it. my wife 4runner had leaking pinion seal, went to parts store to get a new one, only way to get seal was to buy a bearing, crush sleeve and seal. truck had 32k miles and soon as the warranty was like 100 miles over the pinion went out. called Toyota, went to arbitration, spoke with rep. and then met with her a dealer. the black woman works for stealership and doesn't even know what a pinion or junk is. the original work order stated they changed pinion and bearing, ring gear and the rearend had never been apart. the paint on the bolts holding the chunk had never been touched. needless to say I lost. stealership wanted $2800 to repair, screw that. fixed it myself for $400 and exchange and put 100k without a problem.

11. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I'm sure it was already been said by someone before me, but with my own experience with a dealership:
    I almost had to take Toyota of Temecula to Court for several different reasons, mostly violations of Car buyer's bill of rights, lemon law, and several contract violations (they violated the CPO contract/checklist by lying and not actually doing all of it).
    First, if you havent already done so, make a call/contact log and fill it in with dates of when you talk to them, what was said, who said what with names and contact numbers.
    Second, get everything in paper, with dates (I always date the papers i get if its not already on it)
    Third, do some research (sounds like you have already done most of it) and see if they where they might be liable/ you can make them liable.

In the end my 8+month ordeal was ended in 4 days after I finally got the head manager on the phone and yelled (I'm not the yelling type) and threatened to see them in court if it wasn't fixed by the end of the week. The real zinger was me rattling off about 7 contract violations and 2 laws they violated that I would sue them on. Doubt your situation is like that, but I have found a few key word get they attention and light a fire under their ass.

Good luck OP! I really mean it!

Products Discussed in

To Top