1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anxiety / Depression

Discussion in 'Health' started by crashngiggles, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Jun 13, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles [OP] Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    The person that originally started this thread is no longer a TW member so @tcBob had me take it over. I am a Licensed Psychologist who has a thriving practice. I specialize in both Mental Health and Substance use Disorders. I have helped thousands of clients both in my practice and many people on TW as well with both personal mental health issues and support for their recovery in Substance Use Disorders. These are unsettling times we live in today and everyone needs support in their lives at times. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    jubei, Squirt, Nonamesleft4u and 14 others like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2016 at 5:09 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Ok ... :tumbleweed: I'll start.

Sometimes I get heart palpitations, and with these events I get some bad panic attacks. I've been on so many different medications and anti-depressants that it's nuts. I don't think they work honestly.

I used to go to a therapist once a week, but it was so repetitive and ... Arbitrary, is a good word to describe it, that I stopped going.

There's different kinds of anxiety though, surely I'm not the only one here.

:pccoffee:

3. Jun 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Oh brother you are far from the only one. I go through nasty bouts of this. Even worse in the Winter months, I to used to to me waste time with head Dr's to.

4. Jun 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    You are definitely not alone. I don't seem to have it, but I know several people who have issues.

Very hard to comprehend a person who was once very outgoing, strong and confident turning to an introvert and fearful person. Seeing it first hand is unsettling.

The odd things that seem to help calm and relax the anxiety is interesting. One of my best friends started getting panic attacks. He has to take his shoes and socks off and stand in the middle of the garage.

5. Jun 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Well, I know the last time I sat in an airplane the walls suddenly moved in on me and I became so claustrophobic I almost became the guy that opened the door and jumped to the tarmac. Instead, I laid my head back in the seat, turned the air vents onto my face and told myself I was at home asleep in my bed. Thank God it worked. I have no desire to fly, again. Edit: Unless it’s in a spaceship heading somewhere cool

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Jun 13, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Definitely not alone. Been up and down that road and back again more times than I care to recall. Still do sometimes but it's more fleeting than it was when I was younger, and I don't take it out on myself like I used to. No matter how often it happens though it's never any "easier", that's the bitch about depression/anxiety. When you're in the throes of it, trying to look at it objectively feels next to impossible. Anyway without getting too deep I'll just say you definitely aren't alone and if you ever need someone to talk to just shoot me a PM.:)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    jubei, Thorian, JmsWms and 6 others like this.
  7. Jun 14, 2016 at 4:26 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Thanks, and thanks for the replies. I have read countless articles and forum related material, I just need to do yoga or something to control my breathing. Apparently it works wonders.

8. Jun 14, 2016 at 4:41 AM
    2ManyTacos75

2ManyTacos75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dealt with it for many years. I can't drive on anything but the right lane because i am paranoid i won't be able to get off the road quick enough if something like a blown tire happened, sounds weird, i know. The human mind is weird sometimes.

scottalot and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Jun 14, 2016 at 4:42 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy there is only 1 EVH Avatar allowed on this site. And it's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

mr_ash, Yaozer, scottalot and 3 others like this.
  10. Jun 14, 2016 at 7:58 AM
    2ManyTacos75

Member:
    LOL

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Jun 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    psh tell me 'bout it. Anxiety, depression, and then this thing called vertigo that got me months ago, f'ng deep. I guess it's all part of life :goingcrazy:

scottalot likes this.
  12. Jun 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I'm not going to explain what I know, as I'm not a Dr and a car forum isn't the place to get proper help. But I've seen it with several close to me. Many times it can be beat.

Sometimes its a physical issue, sometimes mental, occasionally a combination.

Like everything else, the first step is recognition, the 2nd is action. Most of the time pro help is needed in some form. If you don't like the Dr or therapist or the results are dissatisfying, try another. Not saying you should bound endlessly from one 'cure' to another, some things take time. But the discovery of your root cause(s) is key to correction.

Quick example. My wife was suffering from acute bouts of anxiety, and many physical manifestations of that. Debilitating. Once she discovered that a key root cause was her alcoholic son and started attending Al Anon (for the family of alcoholics) she has learned how to deal with that anxiety. It's like I have a new wife.

Be encouraged. These things can be dealt with. Never easy, but worth the effort.

PzTank, Steves104x4, nfs257 and 4 others like this.
  13. Jun 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    I've been dealing with depression for a year or so now following cancer treatment that has impacted my quality of life. I was prepared for the physical battle but the mental one was unexpected.

I was first diagnosed at 32 years old. At that time I was in the best shape of my life and I recovered faster than the doctors expected from my first 2 surgeries. I've now had 6 surgeries in 5 years and been under general anesthesia 5 times in the past 18 months and each time the recovery takes a little longer. Following a major surgery and chemo in 10/2014, I spent three months out of work. After coming back to work I haven't been able to complete tasks as easily as I did prior to the procedure (I'm a commercial loan officer so I spend most my day analyzing financial statements). This has impacted my productivity and motivation.

It doesn't help that I still have some ongoing issues that cause very low hemoglobin levels so I feel like I'm hung over a lot of the time now. The low hemoglobin levels also impact my ability to do pretty much any physical activity which sucks. As an athlete I shouldn't be exhausted after climbing a flight of stairs or taking a shower but that's my current reality. I also haven't been able to put much muscle back on (I lost 45lbs and have only been able to put about 10 of it back on).

I've been reluctant to seek professional help because I'm concerned that it'll impact my CCW and I just recently started talking to my wife about the way I've been feeling but for the most part I just try to stay strong for her as she's dealt with a lot throughout my battle. Friends are supportive too but they don't really understand what I've gone through and I don't spend as much time with my closest friends now that I'm not riding my motorcycle anymore or skiing at the level I was before (nobody wants to be the slow guy in the group by a wide margin).

I get by knowing that while my current situation isn't ideal, I'm still alive and I'm hopeful that my mental state will improve once these lingering issues are sorted out and I don't have to constantly go under general anesthesia. I still get anxiety every 6 months when I go in for scans (scanxiety) and every month when I have blood tests but I'm getting better at compartmentalizing and minimizing that stress as it doesn't do anything to improve my overall health.

I guess this long post doesn't offer suggestions or solutions for others here but getting it out helps me.

14. Jun 16, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Man I can't even imagine.

But there is a good thing out of all that, well good meaning the bright side. You know when your attack will happen which will make you better prepared for it. Mine have all been random so it's a guessing game. I can't take my medication when I'm at work either which makes it a little bit worse. Hope you get better.

15. Jun 16, 2016 at 5:19 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
  16. Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    This is a place for discussion, not hiding Mr. Dr. Funker.

LocoLocal and scottalot like this.
  17. Jun 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah.....:pout:
    have been diagnosed with depression.
    there....i said it.

PzTank, Jon G, Steves104x4 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jun 17, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    2ManyTacos75

Member:

Amazing guy...absolutely amazing. Sending my best wishes and prayers

stickyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jun 17, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    2ManyTacos75

Member:
    Nice Polish eagle !

DrFunker[QUOTED] likes this.