1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any advice for cross country in a first gen?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dannny boy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Mar 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM
    Dannny boy

Dannny boy [OP] Stab it and Steer

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 loaded salvage, and a brand newly aquired 2000
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    Seems like a lot of folks with the 2nd gen 1st gen's responded. I stepped back in time a little from an '02 to a '00. Less creature features it seems, but a bit more basic truck feel. Anyone preferential to these years, and why?

2. Mar 25, 2017 at 11:37 PM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    I notice in comparison to my '02 that the idle up seems to waiver upon startup for awhile. I don't know if it is a more primitive component i.e. thermo-mechanical vs. electric or if I need to replace some vacuum hoses. There seems to be more of them under the hood and they are a little worse for wear.

3. Mar 26, 2017 at 12:03 AM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
    I have driven from San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA many times in many different vehicles.
    Typically I stop in Redding, CA on I-5 as it is about 13hr from San Diego.
    If you drive I-5, it is rather boring but lots of places to stop for service.
    If you drive 395, less people but more landscape to view.
    395 is on the east side of the Sierras and then exits CA briefly for Reno, NV and then back into CA, then continues to OR and then Spokane, WA.

4. Mar 26, 2017 at 12:20 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    YA, THE 5 MAN, try to survive the 5... I am avoiding it at all costs this time as I did it in continuous 30+ hour stretches last time, once on memorial day weekend and suffered PTSD as a result. Going inland a bit probably thru Central Nevada and Idaho on '93 til I gotta cut over and hit '97.

5. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:02 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    The thing to remember is do what makes you happy and works the best for you.

I have to agree about avoiding Interstates they get so boring they put me to sleep.

Dannny boy[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:15 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    It seems like all of the mundane tension of interstate driving is what tires me out - always concerned with someone in the blindspot, somebody trying to weave and pass, the constant jam ups with semi's and people trying to pass them. I often drive through the night and sleep in the day just to avoid such shit. I will be doing better though just having a well mannered vehicle that tracks and handles.

7. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    I could not drive my truck without these Mirrors

I back up quite a bit and blind spots are for the most gone

I also tend to drive at night and sleep during the day given the choice I have always been nocturnal

005.jpg

8. Mar 27, 2017 at 3:23 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    So what's the best piece of road in 'merica and don't say 50 through Nevada cause I already know that. Who has some classic blacktop time and a recommendation, or a long stretch of dirt will do just fine...

9. Mar 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Now it has been years around the early eighties so I know things must have really changed

US Route 287 From Fort Worth up to Interstate 90 Between Butte and Bozeman

It depends just what your looking for

rtwbound and 99SuperTaco4x4 like this.
  10. Mar 29, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I think I may have driven that. I love Montana in the summer. Won't be going over that far unfortunately. I'll be making my way to the second wettest place in the U.S. from one of the driest. I bought a cargo trailer to serve as my living quarters and plan to convert that. It's 2300# bare bones but pulls nice. Gotta make sure I do things right - it's a long way to tow something.

11. Mar 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    Does your new home have brakes ??

No doubt you can get away without them up 5000 pounds speaking from experience

Then just how many creature comforts will you be having weight tends to add up fast.

12. Mar 30, 2017 at 12:13 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    No brakes, been thinking about that... gotta keep it light. It was cheap. I'm just planning to insulate it and put a bed in it for now.

13. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    I just drove Phoenix to Stanwood (hour north of Seattle) last week in 2 days. I was on a bit of a time crunch so I stuck with the interstates mostly (Phoenix to Vegas, then hop on I15 through Utah, southern Idaho, Oregon and Washington). Any hilly terrain and cruise is useless. If you go I5 straight up the only mountainous bits are through Shasta and the Siskiyous.

Being on a schedule I elected to take the interstates simply for the service stations and proximity to major centers if I had a breakdown. If I wasn't on a deadline, the more scenic way would have been up through 93 in Nevada which is probably similar to 395 in the sparsity of people / towns.

14. Apr 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    aestheticbrah

aestheticbrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    A friend drove from East coast to Utah in a "new to him" used 2002 Tacoma. All he did was change the oil and check the tires before leaving.

15. Apr 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    2K_Taco

2K_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 4x4 TRD
    As other mentioned, I'd make sure your up to date with your maintenance, mostly fluids. If your a coffee drinker, there is a quick way to boil hot water that campers use with a Jetboil. You can just use a dripper, filter and a cup. Bring a large piss bottle...lol.

For the cruise control, I replaced the old clutch spring with another spring to get rid of the squeek. (The mod is on this site) This brought up the clutch to engage the sensor which fixed the cruise control.

I'm going from Cali to Utah in June, so I'm prepping the truck slowly up to that time. Mostly going to Mtb, but gonna try a little 4x4 action in Moab...

16. Apr 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    glenn27

glenn27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD package/Xtend cab
    ////////////////////////////////////

How do you attach those to the regular side mirrors?

17. Apr 5, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks bud, that's loaded with some valuable info. I hear ya on the piss bottle. A white tropicana gallon jug with a screw top works well. Just don't confuse it with another one. I just went out and bought one of those springs - found a number 70 after going to a couple stores. I gotta say I like owning a vehicle that benefits from such a knowledgeable fan base.

Ringo99 likes this.
  18. Apr 11, 2017 at 10:23 PM
    nmiller08

nmiller08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Drive every year from Montana to the Las Vegas area for climbing trips...I don't remember any interstate along 93 but maybe right around Vegas? 93 is always great, with a lot of nice places to stop if you're taking your time. Another good route would be through Pahrump and Death Valley over to 395. Death Valley is gorgeous and 395 up the Eastern Sierras is also awesome and has great camping options within a short drive of 395 itself, but I've never continued north beyond Reno...

19. Apr 11, 2017 at 10:46 PM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ah, that's a thought... never driven all of 395. I have spent some time over in Death Valley and agree entirely! That place is majestic, specifically the Saline Valley and associated tangents. There's a few renegade connecting jeep roads to the park proper that are well worth the price of admission if you're so inclined. And of course Bat Rock. Not to give away secrets but the folks on here seem worthy. Good suggestion, if I can cut out of here a bit earlier that could be better than Boise way.

20. Apr 12, 2017 at 12:05 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    All right man, here's my thoughts. I like driving. Specifically on two lane roads across the American West. I don't really try to make time. It's not an airplane. Let those freeway folk hurdle themselves by wire in steel/glass boxes 90 mph four lanes abreast looking at bumpers. I long for the open road. It unfortunately is disappearing fast my friends. It's all about the right road and the right time of day (or night). If you find that perfect combination you almost just want to keep it a secret.

Products Discussed in

To Top