1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any computer nerds in here ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ne0tas, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    ne0tas

ne0tas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
  2. May 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    And maybe a new video card: the evga gtx 460 superclocked

3. May 8, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Nice combo. 1155 is a good platform. Good call on the i7.

4. May 8, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    g8torb8t

g8torb8t 2016 Toyota Tacoma DC SR5 V6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC SR5 6 cyl Silver
    GatorTrax Bed Cover Kenwood Audio-Video System with Garmin Navigation Weather Tec Floor Mats Black Tacoma Tailgate Letters
    Nice setup....

This past year I built two core i7 systems. I used the Antec 900 computer case for both computers. I have a core i7 920 and a core i7 930. I use Asus motherboards (one has USB 3.0). Both systems have 12 gigs DDR3 Corsair memory, and Corsair 750w power supplies. Both have Nvidia video cards (460 & 470). I have LG Blu-Ray burners in both systems. I have burned around 50 Blu-Rays so far. Both systems have 26" Samsung Syncmaster T260HD monitors. Both systems have Logitech Z5500 speaker systems also.

I bought most of the parts from Newegg over a period of time. I try to get stuff when it's on sale.

5. May 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

How are your systems holding up? Any overclocking on the cpu or just stock clocks? I plan to over clock mine when I get it, it has such positive reviews on the ooverclocking
    I love the antec 900 its the case I have

6. May 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I have the i7 2630 with the GTX460M in my laptop.

Thing is a beast. You will not regret it at all. :D

7. May 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I also have an i7 920 (in the 1366 socket). I don't overclock it much ... it's native 2.4GHz and I run it at 2.83, which with the Intel SpeedStep technology actually runs it from 1.75GHz in low demand applications up to 3.1GHz in high demand (like gaming). My 6GB of DDR3 runs at 1433MHz (down from it's native 1600).

I've run it at up to 3.4GHz with a Speedstep approaching 4GHz, and it was rock solid. But overclocking does take a toll on life expectancy, and I like to keep my systems for 8-10 years (I build them real high end on the front side), so I dialed that back. Key is a great cooler and great thermal paste (get some Artic Silver). I also run an ASUS board. The K-series i7 you're looking at is proving to be legendary for it's overclock ability. Make sure you keep tabs on those CPU temps as you experiment .. I use CoreTemp. Also check out Prime95 as a stress test to make sure your overclock is stable.

MSI (like all manufacturers) provides software overclocking tools. The software overclock is nice because it allows you to make changes without a reboot, but once you decide on your settings, I prefer to set my overclock directly in the BIOS and then leave it.

As for video, I run an ATI 5850. It's my first ATI and it's been great. At the time, Nvidia couldn't overcome the problems they were having with the 300 series GPUs, so the 5800 series were the only DirectX 11 cards on market. It's been solid though. I don't mess with SLI or any of that (1 card is enough for me).

As for memory, I run Corsair Dominator. A little pricey by comparison, but has been rock solid in every way.

The Antec 900 is a classic. That was my second choice. I went with the Cooler Master HAF 922 ... it's a BIG mid tower and I run three 200mm fans (low RPM so they're quiet, but huge so they move tons of air). The only downside is because it moves so much air, I have to clean it a lot.

I also run a Corsair power supply (in my case 850w). Been perfect.

8. May 9, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    g8torb8t

g8torb8t 2016 Toyota Tacoma DC SR5 V6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC SR5 6 cyl Silver
    GatorTrax Bed Cover Kenwood Audio-Video System with Garmin Navigation Weather Tec Floor Mats Black Tacoma Tailgate Letters
    I didn't do any overclocking. These things are fast enough for me just like they are. I'm more into HD and Blu-Rays than gaming. Although "Crysis" kept me busy for a few days a while back.

I built these systems because I was fed up with the really slow rendering times when doing HD videos and Blu-Rays. Less than an hour sure beats the old 7 or 8 hours I used to put up with.

Both systems are running fine. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on one and Windows 7 Pro on the other. At first I had them setup as dual booting systems with Windows XP Pro with service pack 3. I have since removed Windows XP Pro and went Windows 7 only. I also have Intel SSDs as my boot drives on both systems. 25 - 30 seconds from startup and I'm good to go. Both systems also have two 2 terabyte hard drives to give me some playing room with these HD files. I probably have 4 terabytes of HD video files stored on external hard drives too. Most old farts (I'm 68) don't bother with doing the stuff I do, but it keeps me busy and gives me something to keep my mind off getting old. LOL!

Products Discussed in

To Top