1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any deer luck this weekend??

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by tacomaman06, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Sep 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    anyone?? i went this am......was rainy and windy.......sat for a while, til i got tired of it, then went back to the truck and took a siesta. rain all day.......go back in the afternoon, and the bottom dropped out....so today was a "wash".....no pun intended. gonna probably go tomorrow afternoon.....maybe it'll be a lil drier then.

2. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I wish i could go huntin

3. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    will come up here and go with me a few days im sure youll find something good to kill

4. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    We didn't see anything either...

We sat for the longest time, to no avail.

5. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i do plan on doing that sometime man. yesterday....i just walked the property...making sure no "bait" was on the property(dont wanna repeat of last year), and on the upper end.....trails everywhere.........6 fresh scrapes in a line......big buck tracks in them...no rubs on trees tho. im hoping i see that fella soon.

6. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    eagleswarrior

eagleswarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 3.0 V6...
    Paint Job (Imperial Jade Mica-6Q7), 2" ToyTec Susp. Lift, Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks, Mud Tires, New Carpet, two-toned Dyed Dash, Blue LED's in instrument cluster, rockford fosgate 6 1/2's, 1" Rockford dome tweeters, 12" Rockford Sub, Sony head unit, Future Mods: Front Bull Bar with Hella 500's, rock lights, bed lights, Exhaust System
    My buddy went this weekend and killed a 4 point out of my stand...shoudla never been shot but oh well what do you do?

7. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack

bait? care to explain a bit? I think I have an idea of what your talking about but i might be wrong

8. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    maybe so....but good for the freezer,nonetheless.

yeah......i built a corn feeder a couple years ago, and had it out last year.....went in,wasnt even thinking about the damn feeder(this was back within the month my dad died and all), and game wardens had apparently been watching....so they came in and busted us.

9. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    ah i see. yea sometimes on TVA which is government property they put up bait deer. some people who hunt illegal will shoot it the fake deer will fall over and bam GW's come out of the woods and or they have cameras watching the Bait deer. kinda like a bait car.. lol

10. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    hmmph..our season hasnt even opened yet..next weekend. But the hard part is that I havent even found a spot to hunt yet..

11. Sep 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Took the twins throughout the weekend, youth hunting only in Indiana this past weekend.....my son almost clocked out a good doe, but the brush was too thick to shoot....my daughter and I didn't see any deer, just had some good daddy time....:D Our archery opens Oct. 1st.....

12. Sep 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    Semperfi

Semperfi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Angel Fire, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road S/B
    Every morning I get woke up by Elk bugling. ( Thats the second best way to get woke up):):):) I got drawn for Elk Hunting in New Mexico Oct 17. Been scouting on my Quad and seeing some big boys.

13. Sep 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I went out on friday, lost my shoe in a mud hole (I didnt have boots then, got some new ones today.)and saw nothing. we must have spooked something cause we heard it running, but no luck other than 3 rabbits.

hopefully I can get out again soon!

14. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:40 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    baiting illegal in SC? it used to be here, but changed a few years back. ODNR decided that it "does not significantly increase the chance of success." although they will skin your ass for hunting turkey over bait for some reason. i have two electric feeders...but haven't fired them up yet. i don't hunt off them. i usually start feeding mid december. my goal is to improve my herd. i only feed during the months that are hard on them. i mix ADM deer feed, shell corn & black oil sunflower seeds. looks like i may have to start earlier this year...my oaks aren't producing much mast and there is nothing planted in the neighbor's fields...normally about 70 acres of soybeans.

15. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, unfortunately, in our game zone of sc.......ours is the only one that doesnt allow "baiting". they really oughtta change the laws if you ask me. they complain of the population being so big.....so many does needing to be culled....yet they wont fix their laws to how they should be.

16. Sep 29, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i think that's why they changed the law here. we had a record harvest last year, and need to continue to take more deer to avoid overpopulation.

i see nothing wrong with feeding them. i don't actually "bait" as my stands are no where near my feeders. instead of feeding them thru summer and up until the end of season, i usually go until about march. by then, there is green stuff coming up for them to browse on. most people i know will only feed until shotgun season is over...just when the deer need it the most. i've read a bit about it, and i feel if i can help the pregnant does through the winter, they will have higher birth #'s and healthier fawns, which means better hunting for me when they grow up. :) i also have 3 or 4 Trophy Rocks on the property. i've tried a few different mineral suppliments, and these seem to be their favorite. they will dig holes where the rock was after it's gone. i keep them out year round. didn't have money for my plots this year...nothing big...just a couple 3/4 acre or so spots that i put some brassicas in. gonna try sunflowers and turnips next year. fairly cheap and according to some friends, the deer love em.

17. Sep 29, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    Bow season in Texas opens Saturday. I'm more than ready! We have seen some nice bucks on the trail cams (mostly at night, though) I'm hoping to get a doe or two in the freezer before rifle season starts. Then during the rut - mid to late Nov around here -I'll hopefully catch a big boy on the move during daylight hours.

Products Discussed in

To Top