1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any experience with URD Stage 2 clutch or short shift kit? Stock vs Urd Stage 2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spanke311, May 31, 2014.

1. May 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    spanke311

spanke311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4 V6 6spd
    So I've got a 2005 4x4, V6, 82k miles, 6spd, with the horrid throwout bearing chirp (is driving me mad) and I'm gearing up to drop the tranny soon. Planning on replacing the clutch release fork and slave cylinder per the TSB, installing PDM kit from URD, refinishing the flywheel, I GUESS replacing flywheel bolts, and am trying to decide which clutch to buy and also considering the short shift kit from URD.

Seems URD has overall good reviews so I'm currently trying to decide between the URD Stage II clutch kit: http://urdusa.com/Clutch-and-Flywhe...ed-transmission/product_info.html?CDpath=6000

or a stock AISIN Clutch Kit CKT-055 replacement: http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-AISIN-C...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=006KQRGPA6DWX7HNBTD3
    Amazon

Anyone have any experience with the URD Stage 2 clutch (or the URD short shift kit)? Happy with it/how different is it from stock? Pros, cons, ect? All I can find is threads about their Stage 3. I hardly off-road, don't race it or drive it too crazy, only plan to tow rarely, occasional trips to the snow in winter, mosty a daily driver / commute truck for work, and I do have stop and go traffic every day. The only times I really ever feel the stock clutch slipping is either when I just give it too much gas while workin the pedal or am going up a steep incline from stop. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

2. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    though I don't have experience with the URD, I would buy whichever is cheaper.

if the aisin is cheaper, I would consider that a bonus!

the short-shift kits, people rave about them, but the only 6-speed shifting issues I've seen develop on this forum were from people with short-shifts. and I think I have seen only like 2 people with issues

3. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    the aisin is less than half the urd, and I think it will work fine in your application, because it has worked, right?

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    Aisin has been used by Toyota for decades with great results. When they changed the Tacomas (some of them) to the "LUK" brand is when there were problems. I'd buy the Aisin in a flash! It's a known, good brand.

5. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    spanke311

spanke311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4 V6 6spd
    So that's 2 votes for stock/Aisin thus far... I'm a bit surprised, really... I figured some happy urd owners would be chiming in to say "URD all the way!"

92dlxman: whichever's cheaper? Well I'm definitely not rich and have extra cash to throw around, but the URD clutch is about $125 more than the Aisin kit, and I figured that I could handle that difference on something important like the clutch if I saw a nice improvement in clutch performance without sacraficing drivability/ ease of shifting (definitely think the stock clutch is forgiving). I've only owned this truck for about 7 months now, but yes, the stock one generally seems to do the job. Maybe only twice now have I thought the stock clutch was slipping more than I'd like, and that was closer to when I first got the truck and was still adjusting from my Corolla. And thanks for the input on the short shifts... That's similar to what I'm starting to see. I've found a couple posts where people installed them and were quite pleased, and 2 that scared me where people started having issues. Maybe the problems happen due to aggressive shifting with the short shift kit?? If the problems are pretty rare, maybe I'll go for it, but not wanting to take any big risks here with the tranny...

ZEROPILOT: I agree, Aisin seems to be a known good brand, and I've heard the same thing about the LUK clutches.

I'm surprised no URD owners have chimed in though....

6. Jun 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    A good clutch is a good clutch...as in good feel and good grip and smooth release. The kind that once it's in, you don't even think about it for YEARS. Most clutches are good. Most will go for 80K miles and even much more. I put a "perfection" clutch kit in my 2009. It's from Auto Zone and runs about $70 for everything. It has a slightly stiffer pressure plate (that I think is a good thing) and it hooks up great. I expect it to far outlast the LUK. For me, it works! Put in a quality clutch set. Change out pilot bearing and throw out. Service the flywheel and change the gearbox oil. Examine the trans out put seal. Maybe look at your U-joints, too. You'll be good for a very long time.

7. Jun 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM
    VA Tacoma

VA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 SR5 off road 4.0 super white
    bone stock
    I've had the urd shifter about six months and I like it, have had no issues. Also was an easy install. Good luck.

8. Jul 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    Aerose91

Aerose91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    I put in the URD short shifter and it's my favorite mod I did, love it. Throw.is about 40% shorter and engagement is smooth. Easy install too.

I also have the horrible TOB chirp, let us know if you decide to install the stage II. I saw one guy on here who did it and loved it.

Products Discussed in

To Top