1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock

yes you are right, they can only try.

have you guys read the book one second after?
    i Highly highly recommend it. it will scare the shit out of you and open your eyes

2. Dec 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Eventually the pile of bodies outside the house will act as yet another form of defense and quite the warning sign. :cool:

3. Dec 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    CVTejas

CVTejas CVTejas

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport
    Farad Cold Air Intake, BFG All Terrains, ARE Z-Series Deluxe Fiberglass Top w/ Keyless Entry and LED interior lighting,Road Armor front bumper w PIAA 510 driving lights, Edlebrock adjustable shocks w factory coils, road Armor front bumper. Kenwood DDX8901HD
    That may work if your not in a major metropolitan area. However once the stores run out of food, people will get hungry, then desperate. There is little to / no defense in suburbia. If your house is on fire... you have to come out.. then your dead. Granted that is in the case of a major event. For something small like a black out, bugging in and weather a storm or a week or two is an entirely different planning model.

Think major event. Solar Flare like the Carrington Event in 1859. This would be a long term event requiring months if not years to recover from on a global level.

4. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    1) I don't live in a major metropolitan area & that's one of the big reasons and...

2) I've already got a backup contingency better than most but it would take a life or death reason to force me out of my home.

5. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    We all plan for something a little different. I use to be worried about EMP and wide scale shtf but not so much anymore. I mostly prep for bad weather, small local problems, vehicle breaking down on a road trip or out in the country. to each their own :cheers:

6. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Might ruffle some feathers here. I have mentioned it before. FIREARMS are great!, but there is a shelf life on the AMMO also.

Should never solely rely on a firearm.

I keep and use QUALITY Air rifles. Not the cheapie store bought ones. High Powered PCP or break barrels.

Also, I keep archery equipment. I know how to 'fletch' and could make my own arrows and bolts if need be. My crossbow, I have many strings and have researched how t make my own strings if the need arose for it.

My bow, I have made strings and arrows for it.

The Air Rifles, I have also made my own pellets for. Using a mold and melting lead.

Brings up another point. Know how and where to source the additional stuff you need to make the projectiles. Wheel weights, fishing weights, Razor blades.

Learn how to properly sharpen a knife...

As far as food seeds go. I have plants growing in unlikely places all around the area I am in and plant things in the 'Johnny Appleseed' manner when I am out and about in good areas. I feel it is MORE important to know what veggitation is edible.

Our back yard is not flowers and orchids. We plant edible plants and fruiting trees all the time. Encouraged the neighbors and the local Home Owners associations to do the same. Figs, plumbs, apples, pears, eggplant, asparagus, pepper mint, garlic, dill, basil, pepper, potatoe, cumquat, squash(s), peppers, beans, greens, couple people are even growing CORN in their small plots. Just a few of the items.\\\

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ^great input Skygear. I would love to have fruit trees here but we are in a drought and unable to water anything. I hope to move states within the next 3-5 years.

8. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    This also. Ive made my wife and all the women in my family "get home bags" last christmas. They loved them! haha

9. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    You would be surprised on what some places use for landscaping. I remember growing up in an area. They used colored/ decorative cabbage and lettuce in the landscaping. In another area, they planted fruiting Palm trees, jackfruits, pineapple, mango, avocado and various citrus.

In that area, a close family friend grew grapes.

10. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Behind my back seats, I use the area as a pantry and storage for a stove and some other essentials. Constantly am using the food from back there and replacing it. Canned goods and dry goods.

I plan on the Insulating and sound deadening mods in the next month.

11. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
  12. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    4runnercaged

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    This is my exact thinking^^
    sounds like your pretty set then! i was going off of being in a major area..
    :thumbsup:

i just plan for the worst case scenario. if you plan for the worst case, you will be good in any scneario.

Amen, im not quite where your at just yet, but will be some day!

even if your number 1,2, and 3 plan are staying inside the house, at least have a place you can bug out. worst case scenario, your house catching on fire? you gotta have a plan on somewhere to go.

13. Dec 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I like to pick apart what is actually in those things. Then build my own. (In reference to the Buckets of food- Actually read the servings, then try to eat that in one day, see if you are still hungry)

Word from the wise, and experience. You need to EAT these foods first. If you body is not used to the food, runs, diareaha,:puke: and other nastys can happen. In a survival situation. The runs are a fast tract to dehydration.

Most of the time, the foods in these survival buckets are "Ramen" style noodles, freeze dried foods and veggies, dehydrated milk, dehydrated eggs, pasta, etc. You can piece together a few of the meals in house and make them palatable to you.

Coming from a climber/ backpacker/ whatever you want to label me. I have been on the trail, popped open a new food from one of the bags. Yep, I was worse off after I ate it. MANY times. Most of the time it was the just add water foods, sometimes it is the add water and cook. You never can tell how your body will react to a new food.

Bubble gut is horrible. :fart: Even worse when you are wearing Goretex. Thats a story for another time though. If you know what I'm talking about here... Put your hand to the screen. Internet High Five! :highfive:

Most stores sell the Already cooked, BAGGED vs canned, meats/fish. Like the Salmon, Crab Meat, Tuna, Chicken, Shrimp, Clam, and other various ones. Those are great and have many years worth of shelf life. Looking at some I bought recently, I see I have til 2017/18 on them.

Instant potatoes are great, so much win when you actually start READING the ingredients and sourcing the meals yourself from near scratch. I still contact al the manufacturers for 'free samples' but it is more of me trying something new and to see what they have changed in the ingredients.

You can purchase mose of the herbs you use for flavoring in freeze dried form at your local market. Seen Garlic, Chives, dill, and many others. Enfused Oils and various types of oils are great. Citrus is now available in the packets too like sugar. Orange, lemon, lime, and might be others. http://www.truelemonstore.com/

For the price of one of the buckets. you could get your own vacume sealer, heat sealer, and enough food to almost double the purchased amount.

In doing it this way, you can season and try some of the things, acclimating your body to them.

14. Dec 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    4runnercaged

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    thats the main concern, water. were not on a pressure based system, all pumps. thank god i know if a couple springs in walking distance from my house. it would take days to get there though.

loving the food conversation, keep it coming :)

15. Dec 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    an addendum to my rant on the foods. -

Making them yourself, you can season the way you like to eat and package them in that manner.

16. Dec 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    At one of the local out door stores to me. It is common to see REAL back packers on any given day buying lots of the packaged food items. If you just meander around them in an isle over, you would hear them spewing their secrets to one another about the food quality in some of the different meals. Might even hear one of them say, "haven't had this one yet, I'm going to eat it for dinner tonight"

Some of my buddies who spend lots of time on the trails, bring their other halves on 'dates' to the out door stores to try new meals.

To each their own/.I can only tell you what has worked for us.

17. Dec 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Alpine Aire (spelling) isn't horrible either.

18. Dec 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I've been researching food supplies and such. What's that shit Datrex like? It's enough to keep you sustained and provide some calories, is what I gather, in a short term emergency. As far as the pre-packaged food, there is a reason the military has packs of Tabasco in their MRE's, mostly to cover the shitty taste of certain things.

19. Dec 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    An example of WHY you should make your own foods. You can buy all the ingredients to enrich your own foods. Vitamins and other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6XpwtclxU

20. Dec 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Here are a couple pics of the trees in case anyone is interested.

These are FIGS and not ripe. These were the absolute last ones left on the trees in winter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The wide shot is a Fig tree in the far corner real small. Next is an apple tree and then a pear tree, finally another LARGE fig tree.

Products Discussed in

To Top