1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 915

915 Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    12 DC TRD Off Road
  2. the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    flux capisitor, magnaflow muffler bearing, extra blinker fluid container. 6 inch wide stacks
    also if you are looking for a good concealment jacket, i use 511 tactical coyote tan agressor jacket. warm as hell and a ridiculas amount of pockets. but is like 275 $. paid 180 for mine of ebay

3. username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I have worked for the government for 13 years and annually review a shtf protocol. There are no such provisions in modern "red" plans. Course nobody believes me. Lol. We are also far less coordinated than Hollywood leads the GP to believe. Plus, I have seen what happens to agencies with the mere threat of a budget shortfall effecting paychecks, employees abandon ship like the rats they are. Point is, Uncle Sugar will not be there when you need him. Be patriotic; be self sufficient.

4. Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Enjoying this. I too was contemplating a Serpa holster in the truck. I was thinking under the steeringwheel. I carry all day and was talking to the wife about how much of a pain in the ass it'd be to draw from strong side with the sport seats. At work, driver has a holster on the chest, so he can pull and point at his nearest threat which will be someone coming to the door. So I was thinking something for the Glock 34 where driver can draw quickly and a double mag of 30 rds. ea. screwed into the water bottle area of drivers side. If you've never fired live rounds through a windshield as you drive, it's a pain in the ass. The glass hits you, it's loud and you're rounds don't fly straight until you cut a good hole.

Finishing up my stereo install so while the plastic is apart I'll see what I can come up with.

As far as being able to survive with what I have, I know I can. Problem is I'm very rarely alone in the truck. Hence mine is built to get me and mine home.

Also, I just picked up my son the Urban Operator pack from Tactical Tailor. I got it in MultiCam and it is badass. They sew in VS17 into the interior. Great every day pack. http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_bags/packs/urban-operator-pack. If you don't want to spend alot of money on a pack just for BOB but want one for multi use, I highly recommend it. It's big enough for a 1-2 day BOB and you can still use it for school/work/hiking/etc. you'll just have to take stuff out and back in. My son is in the 3rd grade and this bag will last him forever. They warranty their work for life.

5. DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    For "bug out" survival how many feet of 550 paracord would you want for survival??

I'm debating on how much to get for myself while also making some paracord keychains (4) and 4-6 bracelets for friends. Also anywhere you guys find legit mil spec paracord for a fair price? Been out of the Marines for a few years and it's painful to think what easy access I had to so many items that I now have to pay a lot for! Example a .50cal ammo can online can easily be $20+ w/shipping included. I picked one up the other day at a gun show for $8 luckily.

6. stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Sadly, there are now numerious agencies (at the local, state, & federal levels) involved in disaster and similar planning. Because of that, it's quite difficult to pin down a clear picture of what exactly is planned. There's no doubt grand government schemes (food delivery, etc) will likely fail, but that still leaves isolated, random, activities with little or no supervision.

Let me give an example. Following Hugo years ago, the town I lived in at the time imposed curfews, travel restrictions (blockades), and similar (to hell with civil rights), enforced by national guard personnel. Several days later, as neighboring communities dropped their restrictions, this town could not because the mayor, only one with authority to do so, had cleared out prior to the hurricane and had not yet returned. It was another two days before the mayor finally arrived to sign the papers. In the meantime, residents were SOOL - especially if they ran afoul of those national guard personnel.

7. the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    flux capisitor, magnaflow muffler bearing, extra blinker fluid container. 6 inch wide stacks

I wear their operator hats. For bags i go with camelback 3 day assault pack (black). Lasted me for 5 years of heavy use, not one tear.it also 3 times the size of a damn issue ACU(BLAH) AP .Also, for boots its all about merrell. they dont leave tactical boot prints in the woods. It means alot if someone is trying to track you( combat tracker course). much easy to hide in plain site than in camo. have u ever walked in a city with camo? u stand out like a sore thumb.

I toyed with the idea of a serpa under stering wheel. tried it. did not like. got in the way of my legs as i exited the vehical . also under the wheel is exactly where im trying to go for cover.

8. the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD

make bracelets, wrap foregrips, boot strings, knife handles. do it all. If u got a camel bak wrap the hose, keeps it protected and comes in handy. BUY 1 roll. $60 bucks for like 500 feet i think

9. stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Sounds good. Well, not the cold, but everything else. Anyway, I'm really not all that interested in survivalist-like preparedness, but I have tried camping with the very basics, using my ideas of what might be needed. In each instance, while most things worked out well enough, I did discover minor gaps, corrected in subsequent attempts.

10. the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    oh and by the way. did you guys and gals know that our 2nd gen tacoma 4 doors are used by the quiet Professionals in trashcanistan? they do the door buzzer mod, obviosly no interior lights and other unamed by me mods? they chose the tacoma over the hilux, even though its more readly availible, becuase of its quietness. just saying. if its good enough for them, its good enough for me:oldglory:

11. ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Most of the stuff that I have for my Bug out equip is black in colour. It's a basic colour so it's cheaper than camo, and it can be used for every day use without drawing unwanted attention.

12. the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture .45%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    Indeed sir.....Indeed...Like

13. DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    +1

14. Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen
    +1 Ive been looking for a good jacket with pockets

x1141341

Ive got people over there right now and all they said see are hilux's;)
    Afganistan and UAE.

:thumbsup: camo can draw unwanted attention. THats why i ditched my GI bag and got a coyote LAPG bag. Be the grey man and dont stand out. You dont want anyone else knowing what you have and trying to take it. OPSEC! however the internet and in person are a little different...I dont expect any of you to make it to my house and steal my shit :D

Lately Ive been stocking up on food preps and sealing them in the mylar bags with O2 obsorbers. I also ordered some of this freeze dried fruit. Its really good and I plan on getting more! I got the strawberries and bananas (large can) and its a TON of food.
    http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freezedriedfruits.aspx

15. Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    Also im happy we have more people in this thread now :D

16. Jez

Jez [OP] Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    I am sure the intent is to make us all look like a bunch of looney toons! The problem is that there are a lot of nut cases out there. I personally just like the idea of being prepared for any situation. It is a lifestyle that I choose to live and it is not because I am afraid of zombies or the Mayan calendar. Why not be someone who is able to care for their family rather than relying on others to do so.

17. Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod

18. Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.

19. Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    I usually clip my holster to the plastic lower dash under my steering wheel. it is perfect for a quick draw. I think I have a pic in my gallery?

20. JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Wow that truck is awesome! Wish I had the money to buy something like that or the time to do it myself.

To Top