1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

i thought about the NBC threat once and that was when I was active duty and only because we had to play all the games...Ive decided if we are hit with a dirty bomb or chemical agents then Its just my time to go.
    The warehouse I work in has metric tons of chemical gear, gas masks, filters, you name it...Its a pain in the ass to maintain and keep up with. EVERYTHING has an expiration date. Its not a buy once and forget type of thing. If you have a gas mask and it already has filters on it then you might as well just use it for a holloween costume. Filters are only good for one week once they have been removed from the original packaging.

:p

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    07NavyTaco

07NavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, short bed, 4x4, bilstein 5100s
    billy 5100s @ 1.75, black grill and lower valence, tinted windows
  3. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
  4. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    tacorescuemedic

tacorescuemedic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4 SR5
    BHLM
    You are correct about the Expiration date on supplies and gas mask filters should never be broken open until ready to use. But it is a popular misconception that if the unfortunate was to happen as in a dirty bomb or chemical attack, your not going to just die in a big fire ball, the insuring mass panic and hoarding and raiding of supermarket shelves will be what we will feel. I see your from North Texas so even if downtown DFW got hit with a rather large conventional Nuke like a couple mega tons you would still be here ( unless your down town shopping i guess ) But unless you have made preparations to survive the aftermath, it will be difficult.....Not saying I believe that this is on the top list of threats to our way of life....the economy being number 1 enemy....but the reaction of the unprepared public to any disaster will be the biggest threat no matter what the disaster, man made or accident.....

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    You are right. Thats why I have started my food stores/preps ;)
    I dont feel the need for gas masks and body armor though.

I just made my weekly trip to the wal mart for water and lunch at work. I also picked up some extra brown rice, tooth paste, and a $1 pocket knife.

I figured for one buck if its crap I can toss it out. but if its at least half way decent it can stay in the truck/tackle box/wifes car...

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    tacorescuemedic

tacorescuemedic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4 SR5
    BHLM
    Sounds good man:) I hear ya about the gas masks and body armor ,but isint an issue cause I need it for work anyways. The whole main point and concept of preping isint to fight off a wave of zombies or to withstand a direct hit from a Nuke its to be able to survive with out relying on other people for you substanance I.e. food water gas. The best way to learn about preping and how to do it without breaking the bank is through reading. A couple books I couldn't put down and read in a day or two were called patriots by James rawles, shut down by w.r. Flynn and holding their own by Joe nobody. If you have a kindle or iphone they can be downloaded for a discount of what the paperback price is and its easier to carry around. The best preperation a man can do is knowledge. Btw these books are not boring, they grab you by the seat of your pants, there all non fiction pertaining to current events like the economy going to crap. :crapstorm::crapstorm:

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    thanks for the books! Ive read Lights out and One second after and they are eye openers for sure.

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    e11even

e11even Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    I’ve only had my Tacoma for a few weeks so I’m still working on the GHB. Aside from the many great things already mentioned, l have learned from years of backpacking that you can never have enough Ziploc bags and those heavy duty lawn and garden trash bags. Ziplocs are great for keeping gear clean, dry and organized. Everything I have gets organized by type in Ziplocs, and then gets put in the bag. In an emergency situation they can be used for many things like:

*Fill them full of water and use them as canteens
    *Fill them full of snow and put them near a fire for water
    *Store your extra socks and clothes in them so they stay dry
    *Store liquids bottles (like water, shampoo or soap) that may leak
    *Use them as an inexpensive waterproof map case.
    *Store medications and keep them dry (for short periods of time)
    *Put them over your socks in very wet weather (sweat can’t get out, so there is a downside)
    *Use it as a rain hat
    *Use empty bags to store smelly trash
    *Put your first aid kit in it to make sure it stays dry
    *Crack a couple of eggs in it and put it in boiling water to make a Ziploc omelet. Although this works, there is some concern over what chemicals the plastic gives off when subjected to boiling water. So I wouldn’t cook Sunday breakfast this way. But in a SHTF scenario, I prefer a little deer sausage and goat cheese in my Ziploc omelet.
    *Fill them full of air, then MacGyver a rig to pop them after a time delay. Great for distracting zombies!

Tip: Wrap them in duct tape and they become pretty durable

Trash bags are lighter and smaller than tarps (although not as durable). But they do have a lot of uses in emergency situations:

*Cut it open to make an emergency shelter or windbreak
    *Cut out head and arm holes to make a poncho (also serves as a windbreaker and adds warmth)
    *Put it inside your sleeping bad to add waterproofing and warmth
    *Put it outside your tent opening to make a vestibule/mud room
    *Collect snow, water or rain for drinking
    *Fill it with dry leaves, moss, and pine needles and use it as a blanket
    *Use it as a windshield cover to prevent snow and frost buildup (obviously not while driving!)
    *Store wet clothes in it
    *And don’t forget they can be used to collect trash at the company picnic as well!

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ^good post. I keep all my gear seperated into zip lock bags.

10. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    whiterabbit2u

whiterabbit2u Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Near Savannah Ga!
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pre Runner SR5
    Finally fixed the %$%^ compass!
    If your looking for a low cost high quality folding shovel get the German Army surplus one at your local surplus store or "cheaper than dirt". I picked up 2 for $9.00 each. Like new in new leather carriers. They fold and lock at 90 deg and have a pick!
    Electrical tape. Got rolls stuffed everywhere. Way under rated. Tough as hell,stretches,black. Alot of uses!
    +1 for trash bags. Use them instead of the issue wet weather bags in my duffel bag and ruck. Weigh less and multi use.
    550 cord, aka paracord. All my boot laces are para cord with 3 wraps around the top of the boot. I also wrapped the steering wheel and shifter in my SHTF vehicle with it.
    If it doesn't serve multiple purposes then I don't want it or tote it.

11. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:

couldn't agree more!

and also, thanks for the book recommendations. :thumbsup:

12. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I recommend reading The Art and Science of Dumpster Diving. It's written by a 3rd generation dumpster diver. And not because his family is poor, but because they choose to be thrifty and reuse/recycle/scrounge EVERYTHING. Some good ideas in there, like if you get an apartment that has drop ceilings, don't think of it as wasted space. Store things above the ceiling tiles!

13. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    I was looking at a couple videos on youtube, one about taking a shotgun and making it a "tactical" shotgun. do they make slings for shotguns that do not require the swivel posts as mounts? all of the ones i've found on google searches need the mounts. i have an old 12 gauge mossberg (not sure of the model) but it does not have the mounts for sling.

14. Feb 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    google is your friend :D

http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-Padded-Shotgun-36-Inch/dp/B0000C51PD

the reviews say its only for carrying and not to be used as a "tactical" sling though. why dont you want to get the swivel mounts?

15. Feb 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i'm not sure how to put the mount for the barrel? i'm thinking its probably a very bad idea to drill the barrel lol.

16. Feb 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  17. Feb 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
  18. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    From what I understand about paracord. There is quite a few companies and sellers that claim they have mil-spec paracord. There seems to be a lot of mil spec commercial grade cord that while good I would prefer to know it's the same stuff our guys in the military use. With the real deal you should be able to get yourself out of a really bad situation. A friend told me he came across some that claimed to be mil-spec that he would not trust with his life. If for some reason I had to make a raft or tie up an animal I would rather have this stuff. Maybe make a tow strap to get the tacoma out of a mess.

Mil-C-5040 type III is suppose to be the real deal. Military grade 550 paracord is made of nylon so that it dries quickly and is mildew resistant. Has 7 strands, the 7 strands are compromised of 3 individual strands. One of the 7 strands is a different color from the rest that was required to help indicate which manufacturer it comes from. Most of the paracord I have come across has all white strands and most had 2 individual strands instead of the 3.

The commercial stuff is probably fine for most things but I would like to keep the real mil-spec cord available.

19. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    That's actually pretty interesting and good to know. I had no idea what the real stuff was called. Thanks. :thumbsup:

20. Feb 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    NetDep

NetDep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma Off Road MGM
    Putting a single point sling on a Remington 870 is fairly easy. The shotgun in the link is very similar to mine.

http://www.vaoutdoorsman.com/forum/...s-•-Re-Post-Pictures-of-Your-Tactical-Shotgun

Putting a single point sling on a shotgun requires you to put a single point sling mount between the stock and frame of the shotgun. It is very easy to do - unscrew the stock and place the sling mount against the frame and reattach the stock. The part looks like this (scroll down about five images)....

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db|gggdb.dat|Shotgun Accessories

If you are used to using a single point sling - have trained with it and understand the utility of it - this is a great system.

Products Discussed in

To Top