1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Good Experiences with Energy Suspension steering rack bushings?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaGus, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Just ordered these for my 04 from wheelers, just wondering if other first gen guys have had good experiences and if the difference is noticeable. Mine have 155k miles on them and the steering has always been a little clunky so its time to replace them anyways. Also is an alignment needed after installing these since you have to disconnect the steering rack? I'll prob have to get them put on at the local dealership here so i'll just have them do an alignment as well (i'm at school so i have no tools or space to do any work unfortunately)

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    they didn't do that much for the feel for me, this is what really fixed it:

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    haha yea i have that link saved under my favorites, but i have no way of doing that until summer, so for now i'm just going replace the worn out bushings and hopefully get this done eventually

4. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    x2 on both parts of this!

Bushings didn't do anything, but welding that column changed my world!

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    i replaced the bushings along with the suspension and my truck handles like a whole different (and better) vehicle ever since. of course i'm sure the new shocks, etc were responsible for 98% of the improvement and the bushing were 2%.

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    i replaced my bushings over thanksgiving last year. I felt a small, but noticeable difference. i intend on getting the column tack-welded over the summer, probably, as i hear that's where the real difference is.

bottom line: would i replace the bushings, knowing what i know now -- absolutely.

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I did mine (on the 96) many moons ago..... I could physically see they were worn and the entire rack was shaking. I replaced them anyway as part of maintenance. I can't say they made much difference in the steering/handling - but I know its not good to leave the bad ones in there. Yes, I used Energy Suspension bushings.

http://www.lieblweb.com/steeringbush.html

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    i replaced mine with ES bushings and they made the steering feel a bit firmer and also stopped the squeeking when i turned the wheel,but the real fix for me as well was the steering column mod.

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    thanks for all the infor guys. Sounds like that trac weld on the slip joint really helps

Products Discussed in

To Top