1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any interest in a last chance canyon run (mojave)?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Mxpatriot, May 12, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    I'd like to put on a run up last chance canyon in the next month or so and I'm looking to judge interest in going as well if to see if someone wants to help host it if we have large numbers. I've run the canyon twice before without incident. The canyon is very popular with the hard core, short wheel base crowd. There are bypasses for all the stuff that our trucks can't handle.

Starting from the southern end/Randsburg Rd., approximately an hour north of Magic Mountain/SCV. The canyon is about 10-15 miles of sand and mild rocks. It ends in the open desert and right by Schmidt Tunnel, schmidt camp, and the Holly mine (all very cool landmarks that you can explore. Schmidt tunnel is a mile long and was hand dug a century ago, and you can walk all the way through it).

The canyon portion will probably take us an hour to two/three hours depending on how many trucks we have and what their abilities are. This doesn't count time spent if we have any problems (flats, etc.).

The canyon is doable in a stock 4x4, but it's going to take very precise driving to avoid hitting your differential and a willingness to accept probable bumper scraping. I honestly wouldn't recommend it, but it is doable.

2WD could make it with a locker. The issue is you have to push wheels up and over rocks that are 6'' or more in height while in a sand wash. There is also a hill at the end that doesn't have much of a run at it.

Anything with a 3'' or more lift on 265/70 or larger would be very capable for the canyon.

There is a point on one of the bypasses where it becomes a narrow shelf road about 3 feet above the sand wash. At it's narrowest point, you have the choice between a short, steep ramp into the wash or carefully navigating across the narrow and slanted road. I have done it both ways. When I was lifted 2.5'' up front and had my AP bumper, I did not scrape going down the short, steep ramp into the wash.

It's a difficult but rewarding trail. The scenery is very nice in the Red Rock area and the historic sites are very cool. The trails at the end of the canyon are also a ton of fun.

So, who's interested?

2. May 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    I am! but, i doubt itll end up being a monday run. damn working on the weekends!

that sounds like a nice trail.

3. May 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    RAD

RAD RAD@RECHELON/AESTHETICS Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    THE RAD
    LAX|2|PDX
    Vehicle:
    2007 | TRD | THE RECHRUNNER
    2012 CONVERSION | TOTAL CHAOS & ICON DYNAMICS |
    I would so go on this run! ! ! However my Truck doesn't like damage @ all. So with my trucks recommended suggestion. I will be passing on this run.:D

I'm not Armored or LT @ all.

One day, one day I tell you.

4. May 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    Sounds like fun, It has been on my list for a while now.:D

To Top