1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any LA Fitness members or Ex members?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Jan 25, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Just looking for some info on this place.....

I've belonged to Planet Fitness for a year now. $10 is pretty damn nice and they're open 24 hours a day through the week. That's a benefit for me and my work schedule. Planet fitness only has cardio equipment and weight lifting equipment and that's it. After a year, I'm convinced myself that I can do this regularly (I wasn't sure if I could keep up with it). I'm happy with Planet Fitness but I would like the option of taking fitness classes, using the pool/sauna/jacuzzi, and other amentities that Planet Fitness doesn't have.

I have a cousin who got into LA Fitness for $20 a month (holiday special). If I could get a membership for that price, I'd love it!!!

What are your thoughts of the place?
    Is it clean? Is it respectable?
    Do they bother you and pressure you?
    What are the classes like?
    Facilities?

What do you pay per month and where are you located?
    Do you have a single membership? Family? Joint? (my mission is to get my husband to go sometime before we die -laugh)

I'd be looking at the one in Lancaster, PA. I just printed out the 3-day pass to use next week.

Just getting a feeler for this place.
    Thanks!

2. Jan 25, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    The ammentities at LA Fitness are nice, and for $20.00 a month it may be worth it. I had used the sauna frequently before working out but never the pool or jaccuzzi (not really sure how maintained the jacuzzi would be). As for cleanliness I have always found the gyms clean atleast in Bucks area. Lost my membership a year back when I fell on some tough finance times and have contemplted joining Planet fitness.

3. Jan 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Exmember but I liked it. It was clean and they had the best smoothies.

4. Jan 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    Racinkid13

Racinkid13 Problem Child

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD debadged and beaten
    many
    Current, $21.95/mo

5. Jan 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's not bad either.

Rtrn2taco - I can relate to the jacuzzi thing. I often wondered about that. I had a memberhip to another club years ago and used one. It was clorinated to high heaven (which is good)..and I'm still alive (laugh). It depends...I'll have to check it out and see how things look.

That makes me wonder.... Are health club pools & jacuzzi's ever inspected for certain baceterial content or other bio health hazards?

Oh, nevermind. I just did a quick search on google about public jacuzzi's and I'm really grossed out by what I read. Maybe I'll stick to the sauna. :eek:

6. Jan 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i liked it when i was there. Clean, lots of machines. price wasnt bad, but i was payign about 30/month

7. Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Racinkid13

Racinkid13 Problem Child

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD debadged and beaten
    many
    Sorry, Im in Kent, WA..single membership. The one I go to is really clean, and HUGE. Peaople are always super friendly and nice. Never get bothered by anyone to get me to take classes or such. I havent taken any classes, but when i have hired a trainer, theyve kicked my butt severely.

8. Jan 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Just got back from visiting .... I had a 3 day pass and wanted a tour. I wasn't ready to try things out yet.

The place is HUGE and OPEN. I kinda liked the smaller rooms of Planet Fitness. I'm not a *Look at me!!* kinda person. They've got a lot of stuff. Nice pool, sauna, and the jacuzzi gets emptied and cleaned every 3 days. The jacuzzi is actually out in the open alongside the pool. Still not sure I'll use that yet.

I usually hate being pushed into things. And I almost choked when I saw the price sheet ($50-$60-$75 memberships). I basically told him, that was WAY too much!!! We bargained and haggled and I still wasn't sure. Got it down to $24.99 a month with $149 startup fee. Not bad I guess....
    Damn salesman - I'm such a sucker!! They were really nice (almost too nice and robotic like).

I have an appointment with a personal trainer on Wednesday. First session is free - so I might as well get my moneys worth.

If anything - I gotta get more INTO this as I'm not getting any younger and my health can only benefit from this in the long run.

9. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Had my appointment with the personal trainer. Very nice guy and we did some exercises and now I'm hurtin!!! (laugh)

You know what I don't like (already)?

After the trainer was done working with me, we sat down at his desk and he started giving me a sales pitch to hire him on a regular basis. I told him I'm just not interested mostly because of cost and I'm just not that 'gung-ho' in a fitness regimen (atleast, not yet).

Well, he says..."That's all we have to talk about" and he blew me off. He never even offered to shake my hand, wish me luck, or 'have a good day'.
    WTF?
    I ended up putting my hand forward to shake his hand and say THANK YOU (for atleast spending some time with me). Atleast I'm not a putz!

This club isn't impressing me already. Let me work-out in peace and don't push me to give you anymore of my money.

I must applaud the lady at the front desk. I went to her a half dozen times asking her general etiquette questions. She was really cool and friendly.

10. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    So you joined? Congratulations! I use PF only because its around the corner from me & affordable. I always feel better when I go for an hour. A sauna, jacuzzi, pool, nice!!

11. Jan 29, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I think I got suckered into that too (good salesman) :rolleyes: . I got 'em down to $25 a month. I can handle that. I wanted to go today and take one of the classes, but I'm soooo sore from yesterday! :eek:

Yeah, I'm excited. This is exactly what I needed to get me back into it again. The place is huge with tons of different (more) equipment than PF.

PF was really good and I have nothing againest them. I wish they had a pool & classes and all that. I would've stayed with them.

12. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Don't blame you at all, that is a great price with all the extras & it would be nice to have classes too. I was surprised the Planet Fitness by me didn't have a dedicated room to stretch out, you have to throw a mat on the floor b/w machines.

More than likely they are all different due to locations, this one is in old technology plant that went out (remember Digital Computers?). Now it has Burton Snowboards, Planet Fitness, and get this, Corporate Offices of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. They have huge signs too. :eek: Irony at its best. :D

13. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    We scored a 1 year membership to Planet Fitness for $99 for the year. It's big, bright, clean, the equipment is great and I never have used the extras the fancier places offer anyway.

14. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I can totally understand.
    I'd like to get a year outta this place atleast, we'll see. If I don't use the 'extras' - I'll be back to PF.

There is another PF across town. It used to be a Volleyball & Raquetball club. It probably has other amenities simply from what the place used to be. I should've checked that out before I switched to LA. It might've been cheaper to drive across town to join that one instead. :confused::confused:

15. Jan 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I'm an Exmember. I liked it, very nice & friendly staff. Great Racquetball courts. $20 amonth I would sign up. I was pay $40 a month, a bit steep. So I dumped them.

16. Jan 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Did I mention...

The EYE CANDY seems to be much more appealing at this fitness club. :D

Me likes..... I think I'll work out more. :D

17. Jan 31, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch

:rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top