1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any new fixes for Rough Ride on the later models?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RBaptist, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 2007 Tacoma (Prerunner - Access Cab) and as many of us already know, the ride can be "lively" in our trucks. I have the Bilstein shocks on mine so it is set up for heavier loads in the bed. I was wondering if they have tamed the newer Tacomas a bit or if they are using the same equipment. (Secretly hoping there is a new (better) suspension package that is a direct fit for my Tacoma) or hoping someone might have some other suggestions. Of course I love the truck, but it sure gives a beating on long trips...

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Do you have the stock TRD Bilsteins? Maybe try the stock black shocks or some Monroes. I have the TRD Sport and feel the ride quality is very car-like compared to other trucks that I've driven.

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Mine are the Stock TRD Bilsteins (Yellow). They (and new leaf springs) were put on as part of the TSB in 2008. Problem was that when I would haul anything heavy in the truck, the back of the truck would really sag. This was Toyota's fix back then.... It definitely fixed the sag problem. I can put a LOT in the bed and the truck does just fine. It just rides rough...

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Did you have the rear TSB done; I have heard folks complain of a rough ride after adding that extra spring.

I have the non TSB springs and really like the ride; just about time for shocks on the rear, proly go with the 5100's on the back, front seams fine so far.

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 4:47 AM
    redz80

redz80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brampton, ON
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 SWB
    if you want a softer ride try airing down the tires ......... or just cowboy up you did buy a TRUCK after all :)

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 5:09 AM
    cantman

cantman Member

Member:
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD "Off Road"
    Just had the TSB rear leafs done yesterday and I don't notice a difference in ride. It also may have helped with the axle wrap issue......

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have the TRD bilsteins but used the linear coils off my base model black Tokicos. The ride feels better to me than when I had the TRD progressive coils. As far as the 3 leaf saggypacks, let's just say the reg cab doesn't work it out as much as the AC or DCs do. They felt so shitty on my 05 AC but on the 08 RC it hasn't been an issue. Can't speak to the TSB leafs but the 3 leaf on the AC with an AAL felt much better and completely tolerable loaded or not. The 08 is not lifted so no AAL for it.

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a truck, with a solid rear axle, and hardly any weight over the rear suspension. Nature of the beast, its designed to carry a load which softens the suspension right up.

What tires do you have? My 06 came stock with P (passenger) rated tires, which it still has now. Often people throw on LT (light truck) tires in D or E load rating which are meant for fullsize 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

Bilstein shocks ride stiffer than most oem and aftermarket shocks. Stock SR5 shocks are soft.

9. Mar 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    2005 access cab 2.7L 4x4 w/ 182k. I did the TSB and got the yellow Bilsteins and leaf kit in the back.....it had a really nice ride for about 100K miles.
    I went from 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs on aluminum wheels to 265/70/16 BFG Long Trails on steelies with about 31PSI....now the ride is noticeably more rough, even clunky-like noise in the back, maybe it's on all 4 shocks, dunno. I keep hearing about a NEW recall on the leafs and wonder if anybody has gotten it and noticed a better ride? I'm contemplating replacing all the shocks, but the stupid yellow Bilsteins are expensive.

10. Mar 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Just saw this one pop up in the e-mail. I ended up just living with it until I replaced (about 8 months ago) my 'yellow' Bilsteins with 5100s all around. They weren't that bad cost wise as they can be found online for a little over $200. I bought the rears from one site and the fronts from another and the price worked out better than most places I found for the whole set. Install was simple - and the ride is definitely much better. I put the ring on the 1/2 " lift in the front to level it out a bit and absolutely no regrets. I'm also eyeballing the recall, but I suspect that they will be roughly the same with just better corrosion protection.

Products Discussed in

To Top