1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any one having back pain issues/feeling uncomfortable with 2010 Tacoma seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by JUJtacoma2010, Mar 12, 2010.

1. whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd Double TRD Off-Road
    I think it's more ergonomics for different body types than it is seat comfort. The seats are padded and they fit some body types. I can't get comfortable in Honda cars or Nissan Titans or F150 bench seats. They just don't fit or adjust to me.

2. James3492

James3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    EAST COUNTY
    Black-out Tail lights Painted Rims & Hood Scoop
    i am. back. and my right hip has been hurting for a bit. =/

3. tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    SoCal, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime
    Ya a little. I just got done last week with my drive from VA to CA and I would feel the need to pull over and try to crack/stretch my back. But I couldn't though, probably should've.

4. lizdents

lizdents New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab, 6SPD Manual
    I also have found my 2011 TRD seats to be extremely uncomfortable. Within the first hour of driving my lower back hurt. I have no history of back pain and my back doesn't hurt in any other vehicle. I have tried adding padding to the lower back area but it doesn't seem to help. If I can't fix it I am going to sell the truck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm trading for a Nissan. Otherwise it is a great truck. Help!

5. stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in new jersey

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    south jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    lol the bench in the regular cab is horrible and probably the only thing i would change oh this and heated mirrors!. heated mirrors are a nessesity in cold weather.

6. twistax

twistax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carlsbad NM
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road
    Set of LED work/emergency lights 4x LED Puddle lights under doors 2x LED accent lights under chasis both sides 2x LED reverse lights 2x LED Rear Red Signal lights
    You know, there is a bar that runs across the bottom (from side to side) about tailbone level, that i can feel now... when i sit down i feel it pushign into my spine(tailbone).. hmm.

7. btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    I thought my seats sucked too, then I flipped the headrest around and put the lumbar all the way out. I like them now:thumbsup:

8. T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    05 base model with WO's..........no complaints. Even slept in the passenger seat with it laid back for 2 nights camping on multiple occasions without any issue.

9. 85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Double Cab 4X4
    I bought an 05 SR5 new and a few months later my brother in law bought an 05 sport. I drove his truck to work a few times (90 miles round trip) and it always hurt my back. I really preferred the SR5 seats. Well last month I sold that truck and bought an 05 TRD off road with the exact same seats as my brother in law's truck. I was a bit worried about it but the seats are very comfortable. Perhaps a fat guy owned it and broke it in for me over the first 113k miles. I recently drove my brother in law's (now with around 50k on it) and the seat seems pretty stiff. But he does only weight like 130 pounds. Some people really do have severe back pain issues and it's no joking matter. I know a guy who test drove about 20 different SUV's trying to find one that didn't hurt his back after about a 10 minute drive. This was a few years back and he wound up with a 98 tahoe. He didn't care about make, mileage, or size of the vehicle. He just wanted an SUV that didn't hurt his back. He drove that thing for 200k miles and when the transmission went he replaced it with a Volvo XC90.

10. george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
  11. Gastdoc

Gastdoc New Member

Member:
    I also get lower back pain and sore neck when driving my truck {2009 trd double cab, leather, heated seats}, find it needs more lumbar support, lumber to high or bottom of seat to low and the head rest is tilted to far foward, causing me to hunch over, going to get the headrests redone so the angle is releaved a little, hopefully this will work/help, don't know what's worse, this or the tire vibration {3rd set of tires in 22,000km} and the steering wheel still shakes for the first 10-20 minutes of driving.

12. dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ
    Welcome to the Active Head Restraint. It's standard on most cars and trucks currently manufactured.

13. AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    its amazing how pissed off someone can get pauldotcom at something true. the seats suck especially the bench seats ive made an armrest/center console and it has helped alot. im looking for a nice pair of buckets from the junk yard. i wish seats from an old cadillac would fit.

14. joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like the big changes happened in 09? My 06 with the trd package is the most comfortable truck I've had. No problems driving 12 hours with these seats. Actually seems like a few hours in the truck helps with my back issues.

15. crazyman

crazyman Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    I also find the OR seats are uncomfortable. The seat bolsters are too narrow for me. I'm not overweight, just average build. I do have issues with my back and neck though, so I'm a little more sensitive to position than most.

The trick was to find a 'sweet spot' in the seat position. Now I can go for a few hours before needing a break.

For those considering trading / selling their trucks because of the seats, perhaps a search for alternative seats would be a good idea ? :notsure:

16. DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I was very uncomfortable in my 2011 TRD double cab bucket seats on long drives. Tight shoulders, pain in the back, no matter where the lumbar was adjusted.

I agree the headrest is much too far forward of the backplane of the seat. The headrest sticks forward so much, it forces my head and neck into an unnatural position. Reclining the seat way back was the only way to make it comfortable.

I swapped a headrest from the back seat into the driver's seat. It mostly solved the back problem, but the headrest now seems too far back to actually help in a collision. Still, would I rather have the the neck pain now, or (maybe) after a crash?

Of course one back seat doesn't have a headrest now. (I can see better for lane changes!)

I'm still looking for a long-term solution. Considering having an upholstery shop re-shape the stock driver's headrest. Anyone done that?

17. sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park,CA.
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Hellwig rear sway bar. Rocky mounts bicycle mount. OEM bed extender, tube steps, roof rack.
    The top of your ear should should line up with the center of headrest. I had it all the way down. 2" up Much better now thanks!

18. DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Thanks for that suggestion, sonocotaco. I read the manual, but raising the headrest to any other height makes it worse. I'm 6'1, 165# and the seat simply doesn't fit me.

19. 808TRDTaco10

808TRDTaco10 Black Sand Mirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island--->Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 AC TRD OR 4x4 BSP; 08 Reg Cab 5 spd 4x4
    TRD Off Road No. 401 off the assembly line! ~ 19k miles 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load Range C | Toytec Ultimate Lift with Emu Dakar Leaf Packs | 3* Axle Shims, CB Drop, Sway Bar Relocates | AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugshield | Scangauge II | Smoked Eagle Eyes Ebay LED Tails | Wet Okole Seat Covers | Weather Tech Floor Liners | Pop n Lock | OEM Bed Mat | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | TRD Cat Back Exhaust | Aftermarket Alarm System | Pro Coat "Electronic Rustproofing"
    I guess I'm one of the few that think the TRD seats are really comfortable. I'm about 5'10'' and I think these seats are the most comfortable truck seats I've sat in yet. Love taking longer trips with this truck because of that.

20. HEAVY WT

HEAVY WT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Pasadena
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Sport 4x4
    I really like my TRD seats. I drove non stop from Orlando to Asheville and have to say I was shocked how comfortable the seats were. These seats fit me great, only bested by my CL-S seats which are probably some of the most comfortable seats I have even sat in!

To Top