1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any opinion on 9mm's

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Trapper6speed, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    I know most good brand name pistols will last forever with decent maintenance but with the glock you can really abuse it and it'll keep on working. They are also way lighter than any other pistol I've held. They also have far less moving parts than most pistols, which makes maintenance and repair much simpler. Im very happy with my G17 second gen.

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    My favorite gun out of my other Glocks (35 and 21SF)...It depends on what you want it for...I believe Team Glock was using the 34 for competitions.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    eagle5521

eagle5521 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    `11 PreRunner DCSB TX
    All I 'carry' on and off duty is Glock! Model 22 and 27. I personally will never buy any handgun other than Glock for protection. What I'll buy for the collection is a different story. You have the right idea going with #1 Glock and #2 a 9mm(for the wife). Glock is the most reliable hands down. I say this from experience. I've shot many weapons and as for handguns Glock beats them all. After seven years and a minimum 7,000+ rounds put though my model22 the only issues have been caused by the cheap poorly made ammo my department bought in previous years as practice ammo. Thankfully they upgraded and no issues since. I can't say the same for others who own something other than Glock. I've looked down the shooting line many times to see what the hold up was, to see other weapons malfunctioning. The only times I've seen a Glock malfunction has been due to weak shooters failing to secure the weapon properly and it not being able to cycle fully. I hope I've helped with your decision.

4. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:05 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Proved time and time again in real life applications that the 9mm is an inferior round especially in cooler climates where adversaries are wearing heavy coats/jackets. You are better off going with a 40sw or my favorite 45acp
    A great gun for your wife is kahr mk40 its tiny easy to carry and double action only.
    For you I would carry a 45acp- I like detonics combat master if you can find one. If you are not comfortable with single action then go with a glock, they are indestructable and function in the worst conditions, hands down the most trouble free gun made.

5. Mar 17, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver

Sorry, but the first sentence here is inaccurate information. You'll find plenty of guys who will debate the need for BIGGER rounds. The fact is a .22 is a perfectly acceptable protection round if you are a good shot. For most women with smaller wrists an ideal round is not a larger round, it's the most powerful round that they feel comfortable with and can handle well. Don't let machismo sway you from getting something she'll actually use and be able to shoot well.

6. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    This...in .357 sig. Dooo eeeeeetttt (said in ssuper troopers syrup chug voice) :D

I've shot an M&P compact 9mm. It was great for my hand, small, light yet fit my hand perfectly. Its a very accurate shooter as well. I have a full size M&P in .40 and its the same way. I really enjoy this product line and haven't had an issue with quality either. When I get a chance I'll get it myself in .357 compact for concealed. Prolly do a little better job then my .380 PPK/s and more easily hidden then my fullsize..

7. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    BLKSR5TACO

BLKSR5TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 Cement W/Tech Package
    Tint / N-Fab Steps / ME-SO / Extang Bed Cover / TRD PRO Skid Plate
    if the 9mm is such an inferior round then why do our military special forces(ie..Seals and Army Recon) use it? it's not about power but placement. i proudly rock a G26 for edc!

8. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:24 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    [​IMG]

Just a little comparison.

9. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    great for covert operations especially where a silenced weapon is needed coupled with the extra high capacity capabilities for full auto ie:H&k mp5. Why dont you do research on real life shootings pertaining to different calibers before you open you mouth. I know because I have spent the last 24 years of my life working in law enforcement in the worst area's in the country. And have specialized in firearms and weapons.

10. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Wrong Wrong Wrong!!!! First of all shooting has to be learned and any female is more than capable of shooting a 40sw or 45acp. Both guns are made in very small packages ie: glock, Karh arms ect. What I know is from being directly involved for 24 years. You can fool yourself all you want into thinking that a .22 is acceptable for protection. Why do you think that every police dept, federal state and local has either switched over or is in the process of switching over to either a 40sw or 45acp. Its because for one stop shots the 9mm is just marginal. Once again do some real research before you open your mouth.

11. Mar 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    And here we go...

12. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Great chart notice the entry wounds which gives an indication of the muscle and tissue that is destroyed as the projectile travels. This is the important part of the chart it directly relates to the damage that is done and utimately one shot stops. Penetration plays very little in one stop shots.

13. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I carry a ported w/NS Glock 26 everywhere. I use a Clipdraw retention device versus a holster. Slim, and disappears below clothing. A lot of people think the 9mm is insufficient for stopping power. The evidence on the street and in combat do not support that claim. I feel confident in the lethality of this pistol. Good luck! photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

14. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    My wife had a Kahr and liked it.
    I have a S&W 9 and a S&W Compact 9. My wife can shoot both of these.
    Taurus. I have several Taurus guns and never had a problem with them. (2 Judges, 2 45's)
    Wife uses a Walther .380 now and loves it. She is very good with even at 15 yards.

15. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Looks like the .357, .45 and 10mm are the best. Speaking of .357 I just found a site that I can build a ported 4.95 in .357 drop in barrel for my M&P .40. Only 175 bucks too. Very close to buying it.

16. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Here's some fuel to the debate. How many of you actually have experience with a one shot situation? If I ever have to use my weapon, they are getting rounds not a round. (well, maybe a security one to the head) You could also argue that police are not primarily shooters in the sense that an infantryman or special operator is. The 9mm is a perfectly acceptable round for defensive purposes, just not ball ammo. I can punch an 8 in. plate at 50 yards with my M&P. shot placement and performance and the ability to drive the weapon system are my primary motivations when picking defensive loads. We all have our own needs,skillsets, and limitations. What works for one, may not work for another. Break it down to the point of failure and then drive on.

Im going to work. Discuss.

17. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Correct the .357 is an awesome round

18. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Military and police/self defense are two totally different schools of thought. Yes military its about firepower and throwing as much lead as poss. (Exception to this is special teams and sniper teams). Whereas police and self defense it is usually the first shot that counts since most gun battles occur within about ten feet. Bottom line is you want the bullet/caliber that will afford you the greatest stopping power for a center mass shot.

19. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I agree with all of this! If you can use it effectively to the purpose that you need to then go with it! (Marky Mark with the .22 rifle in shooter)

Granted law enforcement is taught to shoot in different situations then most infantry men and I've done judgmental training and gotten shot at with paint balls and such but none of it prepares you for the real thing. I bet if I got put in a situation, I would not be able to get a one shot one kill. All the shit going on, the stress etc makes it that much harder to get on and keep on target. I'm not saying spray and pray but keep in mind your abilities are going to be tested in a real life live fire situation...which I don't ever wanna be in, but in the line of work, that possibility is always there.

20. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Are you guys seriously discussing 357's, 10mm's, and 45's for this guy's small-handed wife? Come on. Grow up. Most men can't even shoot those worth a damn (although they'd never admit it). 9mm is the way to go for 99% of women.

For small hands, get her a Kahr, period. My wife shoots the Kahr T9. Their "full size" gun even though its not full size. Easy controls, nice trigger, and low recoil due to the 9mm round in a steel gun. I've been dragging her shooting for years and this is the first self defense worthy pistol she's ever actually enjoyed (her hands are too small for damn near everything). Its a half inch longer and taller than the more popular K9 but the trigger reach is the same. Unless she's planning to conceal, the larger gun will be more enjoyable for her.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top