1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any opinion on 9mm's

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Trapper6speed, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
  2. Mar 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    You originally stated 22LR, big difference between that and a .223 Being in the middle of a gang firefight is pretty intense I assume that you were there in the capacity of a police officer. How many rounds did you get off and what was you duty gun that you used. By the way the 45 rounds were they 45acp or 45 colt also ball or hollow point- Im sure you had the liberty of looking at the forensic report since you were directly involved. Oh and what did you do edit your original post by adding in the center mass part, didnt see that in the original post I responded to

3. Mar 18, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    So thats you final answer "F*#k you" ??? Talk about an ignorant response. When you have some free time you can enlighten everyone as to exactly what your vast experience is along with your knowlege base.

4. Mar 18, 2011 at 2:45 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Has anyone had a chance to shoot the Ruger LC9? Can't even find one in the store.

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I'm sorry for staying way off the original question.

But I just want to state for the record that one experiment I DO NOT volunteer for is:

Taking a round from a .223, whether it be head, foot or little pinkie.

:D:D:D

6. Mar 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    ive not but iirc my Kel-Tec PF9 was slimmer, lighter and cheaper and they pretty nice all the way around

7. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I said 22lr then you said shots to the head are usually fatal in any caliber...i provided a recent example that even rifle rounds dont always = fatal when put into the head

I was in the middle of it in the capacity of an officer, however I did not fire my weapon

I had a large crowd of people with several innocent people trying to run away...the gang bangers were firing from multiple vehicles...i had no clear shot to a shooter

If you go back and look at where you initially quoted my post, it says center mass in there...you didnt read

I didnt look at any of the forensic reports as I dont know the case number for that shooting involving a .45

I was a responding officer to a shooting incident and assisted in securing the scene...I also helped the investigator walk the area where the shooter said he threw the gun afterwards looking for it

8. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Recently, A Senator was shot in the head out here in Tucson, Gabby Giffords, that was a "Thru & Thru" shot with a 9mm. It went in the front of her head, and out the back. She is recovering, with not too many ill affects. So.....Not all head shots are fatal. Rear, but none the less.....

9. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Being a police officer you should know that the best rounds are the 45acp, 45Gap, 40SW, 10mm and for wheel guns 357 mag. Thats why predominantly all law enforcement agencies have moved away from the 9mm. Dont take my word for it just ask your own firearms instructor why the change occured. Yes a 9mm is ok but certainly not good enough for police work. Dont be combative just to be combative. Im just trying to make civilians realize that what happens at the range shooting at paper targets does not translate into real life. And by the way you were in the middle of your above described incident and dont know what the case number is and are not familiar with the particulars of the case-doesnt sound kosher to me.

10. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    True chris thats why bullet choice is critical. Ideally you do not want the projectile to pass through the body or head (wasted energy). Although if the same exact shot was taked and a 45acp was used she would probably not be around. Thank god she was very lucky and many prayers for her speedy recovery.

11. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well....The same shot with a 22 may have killed her as well. Hard to say, 'cause you not gonna get volunteers to test. Im not so sold on the "45 is better vs. ***" debate, as too many things come into play. First, Shot placement. Too many folks have survived huge hits from large calibers. Hell.....44 mags dont have a 100% stopping rate. And, IMHO, The person (or animal) being shot, needs to realize its supposed to stop. Many hunters have seen animals run off, seemingly unfazed, after being hit with a "Perfect kill shot". As have many LEO seen bad guys not stop after absorbing multiple hits. Sure a larger round reduces the margin of error in shot placment, but I stand that the best weapon for self defense id the one thats more comfortable to the operator, and the one they are most likely to hit that threat accurately with.

12. Mar 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Ska Himself

Ska Himself Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kel-Tec P11 9mm with hollowpoint ammo.

Pros:
    - $250
    - Small. Like pants pocket small. Also fits well in the small of back. Hell, you can buy a belt clip holder that clips to side of pistol.
    - Decent Magazine - 11 rounds.
    - Light as hell.

Cons:
    - Trigger pull is a pain.

This isn't a pistol you want to use as your primary range pistol because the pull will get to you after a while (granted that can be fixed). However, for a $250 9mm that can fit in your pants pocket and carry 11 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint / hydrashock ammo, I don't think it can be beat.

"But my GLOCK / Springfield / Kimber / Jesus Gun has a 167 million round magazine, a light rail, and laser sight!"

Yeah dude sweet. But if you're a civilian (like me) and you find yourself in an everyday situation where 11 rounds of hydrasock won't cut it, you need to seriously reconsider what you're doing with your life.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-11/

13. Mar 18, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
  14. Mar 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Ok see now you're just being argumentative

This isnt "what's the best round for police work"

You're also trying to combine 2 different incidents i was involved in

I was in the middle of the gang shootout last weekend...i can spell out all the particulars from that

The kid getting shot by the .45 was a completely separate incident...i was just a responding officer...assisted in securing the scene...and happened to be not on a call the next day when the investigator needed help walking an area looking for the gun used...while securing the scene...i had to step around the victim...who happened to have 6 holes in his chest which were later determined to be .45 rounds (i only found that out when the investigator told me we were looking for a silver 1911 style .45 pistol in the woods)

I dont particularly care what 1 person says is the "best" round

I subscribe to the best round is the one you have on you theory

I think the 9mm is perfectly capable of taking down a person

The only inferior round is the one that cant be propelled down range

15. Mar 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    If a bullet went thru my skull and out the other side Im pretty sure that would slow me down somewhat.

16. Mar 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I shoot the 1911 better than any other handgun platform. It's the main reason I picked it. Other reasons, no less important, are reliability, selection of ammo, size of ammo, ease of maintenance/repair. Mag capacity is not a problem, I carry reloads.
    I do need more practice on reloading weak and strong side, as well as one handed.

17. Mar 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    4x4gredo

4x4gredo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    knoxville,tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 dc 4x4
    tinted front windows,2.5 spacers up front and 1.5 add a leaf in back,Plasti dipped front valance
    thank goodness he didnt ask about .380. with all the new .380's out

18. Mar 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    those just bounce off people.......

19. Mar 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I like the 9mm a lot ... but a 1911 .45 saved my azz (twice) ... so I like it the best ... :D

20. Mar 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    I just sold my Glock 21SF and 35 and will be keeping my 34...My piece is for mostly plinking with part time CCW usage...for my CCW I will probably go with the Glock 36...I like the idea of a bit more punch compared to the 26/27.

Products Discussed in

To Top