1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any paraplegic drivers out there?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by warchi81, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    warchi81

warchi81 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So its been quite a while since I have been on here, but I just recently had a bad motorcycle accident that has left me paralyzed from mid chest down. I'm doing well trying to make the best out of the situation I'm in, but would like to get back to driving to give me more freedom. I dearly love my truck and was wondering if anyone out there knew of people, sites or links to some info on putting hand controls on the truck. I can get into the truck, but over time I think and have been told by doctors and my physical therapist that it would kill my shoulders over time. Also taking apart my wheelchair from the drivers seat with no core strenght to hold me up is very hard. Not sure what to do. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with this problem. I am sorta leaning towards looking at a car, but man does that not make me happy. I would hate to see my truck go. Thanks for the help.

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I'm sorry to hear that man. :(

We're glad to have you back.

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sorry to heaar. :(
    I think Sarge mentioned he lost his legs in Iraq. Send him a PM maybe?

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I web searched "handicap vehicle controls", mobilityworks.com looks like a start. A lot of vans are sold for wheelchairs, your state might have services or funding to help also.

(edit) aavans.com has controls for pickups. i added "for pickups" to the original search.Not sure if it helps much, The physical therapist /hospital would hopefully assist you too.

5. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    A buddy of mine has a friend that has hand controls on all of his vehicles. Heck, he even has a pulling truck and a drag car with hand controls. The next time I run into him I'll get him to call the guy up and see if I can find out some info.

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 trd offroad sr5 prerunner debadged
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    sorry bout the accident man atleast you have a swell attitude bout it my moms neighbors have a ford ranger with sum gnarly tires and rims and he has the wheel chair crane posted up on the driver and passenger side right behind the cab idk how but he does and he has hand control everything its pretty sweet the controls was custom from the dealer but everything else he has had done ill see if i can get some info for you man

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Great attitude. Hang in there and enjoy your truck if that's what you want. Where there's a will there's a way.

8. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wheel with a guy around here that has an FJ with full hand controls. You can TOTALLY do it.

I shot him a message to see if he's cool with talking to you....but this guy will drive over damn near anything and gets into/out of/around his FJ with no real issues. It's awesome/inspiring to watch...I'll shoot you a PM with info if/when he gets back to me.

9. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    sorry to hear about your accident. my friend is a paraplegic from a motorcycle accident as well.he horseshoed himself backwards around a tree to the point his feet were hitting the back if his head.his spine was prretty much saw dust.it happened over 10 years ago and he handles it better than i would.he has his off days but for the most part he is ok with it. he has hand conrols in all his cars. a 94 supercharged mustang(daily driver) and a 700hp 12 point caged 67 camaro.his new daily driver is a box cherokee.he has no problem getting in any of them.he goes to therapy 4-5 days a week to build his upper body.he is in better shape(bigger stronger arms) now than before the accident. his wheel chair is only 16lbs and made of titanium($4 grand) and is super easy to break down(quick release wheels) and put it the backseat.
    keep your head up and hope you have a great support group. its going to suck at first but dont give up.it will get better in time. its not going to be the same but it gets better.
    back to the truck question.FUCK CARS!!!!!LOL get the truck work out and you will be fine.dont lift it than you might have a problem.lol
    i can ask my friend who or where he got his controls from if needed.

10. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    warchi81

Member:
    I appreciate all the responses back you guys are awesome. If anyone has any other ideas that would be great I am looking into everything I possibly can. Thanks. Its funny my friends came up with that slogan "where there is a will there is a way" My name is Will and it works out cause I will try and make anything work. Looking forward to hearing more.

11. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    BlancoTaco08

BlancoTaco08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not sure which version of the tacoma you own but you could also look into getting a regular tacoma not a prerunner. I'm not sure of the height difference between the two but obviously it's lower than the prerunner. I think they are close to the height of a car but it will keep you in a truck...

12. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you are making the best out of the situation. I'm not sure where you are located, but up here in BC, there is a company called 'Sidewinder' that installs hand controls and such into vehicles. I think the government will pay for all or most of the cost also. In any case, I wish you the best and I'm sure you'll have a big grin on your face when you get cruising in the Tacoma!

13. Sep 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
  14. Sep 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i was just looking for these videos to post. pretty crazy shit

15. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sounds like you got some great ideas for getting yourself back in the tacoma and on the road.

16. Sep 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    warchi81

Member:
    I'm located in Morrisville, NC.

Products Discussed in

To Top