1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any pilots around here?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Apr 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Update: I just crossed into the 80 hour range...25 in a Cessna and 55 in a T-34. Finally got a solo out...and I'm working on my aerobatics training block now.
    Got a formation training block next and then getting my instrument ticket...in time to move on to flying helos!!

2. Apr 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    <-- Pilot :D

3. Apr 4, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Coma17

Coma17 New Member

Member:
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    03 Supercharged PreRunner
    TRD Supercharger, AirRaid Intake, HID Headlights, Custom Mirrors w/Turn Signals, Custom Exhaust w/ Magnaflow, 20" wheels, Tonneau Cover, Roll Pan, Bucket Seats.
    I've been working on my private pilot's license for about a year now. I only get to go flying about 2-3 days a month depending on the weather. I bought a 66 Cessna 150 when I started my lessons, and had my first emergency experience with my dad last weekend. I have about 10hrs solo and 30 hrs total so far. My dad flew my plane down to Mesa to pick me up, we got halfway back and just as we leveled off at 9500 the engine dies. We ended up being able to baby it in to Payson, but during our decent a plane passed underneath us less than 100' below. A little nerve racking, but we kept pretty calm and made it safe.

4. Apr 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    glad to hear ya made it... what's the field elevation at Payson? I'm assuming around 5k or so... you had a little time I guess... I haven't had an engine out in a manned aircraft yet... :eek: Hopefully training kicks in and I don't freak out if it does...

5. Apr 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Speed Clean Check Feather Look Lock Airstart Bailout or Continue...Shutdown and Configure...Fly the profile and land some where soft!!

Hooray for Emergency Procedures!!

6. Apr 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    agtex42

agtex42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glad to see you're having fun with it. It gets a lot better on the South side of the field, you'll be there before you know it!

7. Apr 4, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    Bananahands

Bananahands Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    I'm a Controller. I'll tell you what, after all the things I've seen from my point of view, I wouldn't want to be the one flying the planes. I suppose someone has to do it so I can keep my job :D.

8. Apr 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    THAT I can't wait for!!

We see enuf from the planes that the controllers do to make us roll our eyes too...

9. Apr 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Bananahands

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport

I wasn't insinuating that pilots are dangerous or are lacking in ability. I was just talking about emergencies, congested airspace etc. I work LAX departures so you can imagine how busy the airspace is. There are lots of little GA guys flying around in such tight VFR corridors. I'll be the first to admit that controllers make mistakes, as do pilots. We're all just human.

10. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah....No pointing fingers...that's why we do all the CRM training and work with a team. And I'll more than insinuate it. I've done some dumb things...and see some dumb things done out there by pilots and controllers...Like you said..We are all human.

And yeah...LAX must be INSANE. I can't wait to finish my training and then start learning how to deal with that volume of traffic...

11. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    Bananahands

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    are you in flight school in Pensacola? or at whiting field maybe? I was in the navy and was in Pensacola for my "A" School.

12. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I'm up at Whiting now...Going the Primary flight training.

13. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Bananahands

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    Nice! Now I know what you meant by controllers making you roll your eyes :D. I know a couple of controllers at whiting field, good luck with them. haha.

Its much different in the civilian world. If we make 2 or so errors depending on the severity, it the end of a career.

Good luck in your training.

14. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I wasn't counting the guys at Whiting...we see crazy things there alot...but everyone is training...so it's to be expected.

How long did you spend controlling for the Navy??

15. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    Bananahands

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    almost 7 years.

16. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    Bananahands

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    I've been out for a little over a year. Been with the FAA about 7 months. I'm still training. It'll be about just under 2 years until I'm fully certified. Thats when the big bucks start rolling in. :D haha

17. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Nice...I'm hoping to get stationed in San Fran so I may be down your way at some point!!

Good luck with your training man...we'll see you around!!

18. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    cool..my dad's got a PA 28 236

19. Apr 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 [OP] Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
  20. Apr 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    closed31

closed31 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleCab Sport 4x4
    none
    professional or recreational?

Products Discussed in

To Top