1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Railroaders here?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by mondexyota, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Burns

Burns Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Truck is Sold
    My dad use to drive one of these before he passed away. They were bought and sold a few times and are now Railtex I believe. It was fun as a young kid ridding on the locomotive.

[​IMG]

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 3:45 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    I heard BNSF was hiring.

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    BNSF anyone got some questions for you

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern Member

Member:
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD SR5 4x4
    I work for a short line in the upstate of South Carolina. We have pretty much designated hours and if there is a schedule change we know about it in advance. Right now I am off 2 days a week and on call the day after my 2 days off. Salary, benefits, etc. It's awesome. I tried getting on with NS and CSX with no luck after 2 years of trying. Not even called to a hiring session, but glad this worked out. It's a small family type atmosphere and I'm not union either. I get to pretty much learn everything as it comes along. We interchange w/ another short line and CSX. From our personal customer switches, we receive daily freight from a CSX local for our customers/ourselves, receive up to +/- 5 unit trains a month as well as build/send out the empties when we are finished with them using CSX power.

I really enjoy my job and can't wait to see where it goes. I've been doing it for almost 6 months now and love what I do. It's got it's days just like any other job. One thing is for sure. I really do enjoy clear (weather) days and nights a lot more now.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    WizzyTRDTXPRO

WizzyTRDTXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    TRD TX PRO 4x4
    I'm a second generation conductor been there for 8 years and no plans to go for my engineer card. I am in the Powder River Basin hauling coal.

6. Apr 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) 31 years with TTX corp. working as a railcar mechanic. Repair and welding of piggybacks, boxcars, rackcars, gondolas, and well cars. We did special modification of flatcars for clients to carry most any thing. We built cars to carry truck and suv frames from the manufactor to major automotive plants. I have done 15 years in the truck shop and built trucks and pressed and removed roller bearings from wheels. I have done all work but didn't get airbrake certification. Let go during the present president's reign, and will not be able to return to work. Only 5 more years till I am old enough to retire.
    It's hell to earn your retirement and be too young to collect it. Railroad retirement requires you to be 60 years old and have 30 years active rail service to retire. I am too young to collect.:rolleyes:

7. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    This thread has me thinking... My great grandfather was an engineer if I remember right. I think it would be a really fun job.

8. May 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    WizzyTRDTXPRO

WizzyTRDTXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    TRD TX PRO 4x4
    I will know that feeling when I have 30 years of service in I hired out when I was 22. But I can hold almost any job I want :)

It's a good career path if you can handle never sleeping in your bed every night, being on call 24/7, eating out of a lunch box every day, the Union/company drama, and etc. I do like the people and my job I just hate the crap that goes with it. If you want to get a Job on the railroad and go into pulling throttle if you have any questions I'd happily answer them.

9. May 17, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern Member

Member:
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD SR5 4x4
    ...you could just do research and find a non union shortline. Depending on a lot of factors you may luck out and have you a "9-5" and be in your bed at home every night. I am on a shift and go in everyday at the same time, Monday through Thursday. Off on Friday and Saturdays, on call on Sundays.

10. May 17, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    BLKSR5TACO

BLKSR5TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Tint / Debadged / Bed Lights / N-Fabs
    I don't work directly for the railroad but i do work for Plasser American Corp in the engineering dept. We manufacture the machinery that does the maintenance on all the rail lines in North America. This is the machine that you will see most of out on the lines.
    [​IMG]

11. Dec 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Vivid Illumination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
    Vehicle:
    05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Cold Air Intake, rear cat delete with Aero Turbine 2525, Maglite mount mod, white LED's all around, white gauges w/blue needles, Tinted Tails, Morimoto 32" XBAR LED Bar, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau, Pioneer AVIC X-920 BT touchscreen, FX-R Retrofit, LR UCAs, OME 3" Lift w/ Dakar leafs, DTLT Headers, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD S/C, Hankook Dynapro ATM tires
    Missed this thread up until now. I got a job with BNSF and start in June. Super excited!

12. Apr 30, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen
    Bump.

Looking into working for the railroad. Ive got a friend that works for BNSF and he loves it but his work schedule is something like 8 days on 6 days off based out of Ft worth, TX.

Union pacific is another company Im looking into. Does anyone here have any inside info or experience with UP?

13. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Vivid Illumination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
    Vehicle:
    05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Cold Air Intake, rear cat delete with Aero Turbine 2525, Maglite mount mod, white LED's all around, white gauges w/blue needles, Tinted Tails, Morimoto 32" XBAR LED Bar, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau, Pioneer AVIC X-920 BT touchscreen, FX-R Retrofit, LR UCAs, OME 3" Lift w/ Dakar leafs, DTLT Headers, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD S/C, Hankook Dynapro ATM tires
    Hey there. I am settled into my role with BNSF. If you wanna chat about the opportunities let me know. Im more than happy to give you info.

14. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    09TRDSpt

09TRDSpt African Light Infantry

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Former NS Conductor, played around in Intermodal Operations after that. Presently with GE re-engineering railroads from an IT perspective. Great field to be in, once its in your blood you cannot get out.

15. Apr 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    scocar

scocar Not one of the 10,000 Baja Edition Elite Guard

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    01 Xcab TRD 4x4 V6 Man. SR5
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    :popcorn:
    Subbed. I've perused the UP site a few times, and since the demise of SP and WP, they are the only major game in town here, but BNSF has a smaller presence. I live very close to the old SP locomotive shops and the Cal State Railroad Museum, where they hace Central Pacific No. 1 and Southern Pacific No. 1. And the last remaining articulated cab-forward.

UP has a big sorting yard and maint facility in Roseville, so that offers possibilities other than running trains at all hours (although that sounds like the funnest part). Problem is, it sounds like after training, they pretty much relocate you to wherever they need you geographically which would not work for me. The other possibility is the small short line California Northern, and even the Northwestern Pacific has made noise about restarting (Nor Cal coast).

I am looking into volunteering at the museum, where they do have opportunities to work in the restoration shops and actually run some of the excursion trains along the river. That could lead to something very cool and local.

To Top